Page 129 of 175 FirstFirst ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 4354
    A few days before these incidents, I re-read the reports from the fatal avalanche at SME in Canada back in 2003. It seems that guides did their due diligence to check that the snow was “stable” and decided to have two groups climb up an avalanche slope. The worst case scenario happened when the top group triggered a small avalanche that then triggered a bigger avalanche that killed 7 people. It was a sober reminder to use proper avalanche hygiene even in “stable” conditions on the slope you are going to ski.

I always struggle with danger ratings. I check the weather forecasts (wind, temps, new snowfall), avalanche problems and recent observations and mainly use those for selecting terrain to ski. But I would lie if I didn’t say that the overall avalanche rating doesn’t effect my decision making at all. It seems like I am willing to take on a bit more risk, especially when the danger rating is low even though I know that avalanches are still possible with a low rating.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    that spot on echo is notorious. i often switch over in last clump of trees if not feeling it. they were gunning for the ne bowl which has a drop in as loaded as it gets with more consequence. blessing in disguise?
    I thought it might have been a blessing, too.

wow KW skied great today. bluebird, no wind, 4-6 inches of fluff. great day to be out with my groms. couldn't get into T-saddle because of the comp tho.

However, I learned a lesson the hard way. NEVER use your teeth to pull your glove liners off! The liner slipped between my teeth I chomped down and fuggin broke my top front tooth off! This happened in cave rock, there must be some weird juju in that place. I'm sporting a nice hockey player/country bumpkin look until I get it fixed LOL

I was in the mood to explore today and hadn’t ever noticed the line gimpy posted the other day, so I went and found it.

Sweet line but the snow was hilariously bad today. There was enough nice sheltered pow on the way up that I thought it might be fun up high. Nope! Total survival skiing the whole way. Serves me right for being a copycat, I guess. But I got to see a new place with no other people though, so I’m calling it a win.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Squaw was pretty awesome today. Headwall was unbelievable. Skied way better than the 1” overnight they reported.

Light towers looked like a bowl with tons of people hitting it. Coolest thing I saw was a 10yr old straightlining a chute in horse trails area and screaming “yeahhhhhh!!!!!” On the exit as the rest of his freeskier buddies cheered him on. Very cool!

Alpine was amazing yesterday as well.. Pic of tracks off High T

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2170.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	273441
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

looks crowded. and what's the guy doing behind the tree? he looks like he's facing the wrong way to pee. is he smoking the marijuanas? and did the kid in the front just get a whiff?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I dunno. Some people like to piss up hill. If you aim right at the tree, other people might not see your marking.

Oh Mashed. That sounds like it would fucking hurt. Sounds like I went home too early as well. Oh well. And BTW, unless they changed the venue from yesterday, you could ski from 2 Man Chute and anywhere right of that.
    Last edited by Ottime; 03-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.

West Shore - saw the pic and the crown is right at that unnerving wind loaded rollover. Yikes!

Squaw delivered this past weekend. A buddy and I set the Reverse Traverse on Saturday morning and it was creamy high speed goodness! Spent the morning on Reverse Traverse to Light Towers down CII bowl and repeat. Then headed over to KT for more high speed cream windblown fun on West Face. Tons of variations down Big Balls now...crazy!

Sunday more of the same...but now with Headwall running...laps down the face and more in Light Towers and hitting things like The Gate, spine near Adrenaline, etc. Rinse and repeat. Did some Fingers laps to cut out at the last minute skiers left above Main Air, as it got really firm as people side slipped down areas. Definitely found some hard layers on the lower mountain steeps and in Light Towers, so be careful as it can take you by surprise.

Was hoping for Silverado but Tower 15 was tweaked due to the weight of the snowpack. Today they announced it should open soon. Pics are crazy of the amount of snow they had to dig around the tower. Weather was sun, dumping, sun, flat light, dumping, sun...all weekend.

Sierra was awesome shin to knee deep in the trees all day Sunday. Started out light and nice, but the sun hit some areas around 2 and it got a bit heavier. Seemed like everyone was more interested in the park and race course, while Telenater (he does still exist) and I lapped up trees. We saw a total of 7 people in the trees all day.

Name:	Sierra 3-10-18.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	403.7 KB 
ID:	273522

But Sierra sucks and is for gaper families only. Don't go here.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Never do. When my sister and her friends were visiting Tahoe about a decade ago during a huge cold cycle (for back then) I took them to SAT and it was fucking horrible. No lines at all, so it was right into the lift with no rest. Storm and winds were blowing but that had all the lifts open, so you were hit by the wind pretty hard at the top. Visibility was shit, except in the trees where it was so calm the snow settled pretty light, so you could barely feel the bottom any where. And even though we kept lapping the same zones were could barely see our tracks from the previous runs due to all the fresh light snow falling. Fuck that. Never again. Place blows.

Northstar got more snow this year than the crowded and intermediate-focused Sierra at Tahoe. Plus Northstar is bigger, has more extreme black terrain (backside) and for those that are truly insane there is Lookout Mountain. Why would you ski Sierra?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Never do. When my sister and her friends were visiting Tahoe about a decade ago during a huge cold cycle (for back then) I took them to SAT and it was fucking horrible. No lines at all, so it was right into the lift with no rest. Storm and winds were blowing but that had all the lifts open, so you were hit by the wind pretty hard at the top. Visibility was shit, except in the trees where it was so calm the snow settled pretty light, so you could barely feel the bottom any where. And even though we kept lapping the same zones were could barely see our tracks from the previous runs due to all the fresh light snow falling. Fuck that. Never again. Place blows.
    Can confirm. As long as it hasn't been ski week or xmas SaT definitely sucks.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Northstar got more snow this year than the crowded and intermediate-focused Sierra at Tahoe. Plus Northstar is bigger, has more extreme black terrain (backside) and for those that are truly insane there is Lookout Mountain. Why would you ski Sierra?
    I heard N* got 21" during last week's storm while squaw only got 4". AMAZING MICROCLIMATE AND TOTALLY NOT MADE UP NUMBERS
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Ralkingpole

Name:	IMG_7967.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	779.3 KB 
ID:	273616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8043.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	789.6 KB 
ID:	273617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8062.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	273618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8104.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	273619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8129.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	273620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8141.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	996.6 KB 
ID:	273621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8158.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	273622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8197.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1,021.8 KB 
ID:	273623

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Don't forget those $9 Blue Moons you enjoyed drinking last season at the Ritz...and the ski valets.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Gimpy, i saw your tracks this morning.
    Camped below for two days.
    Upper ridge looked sketchy where it was steep, so we skied lower stuff.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Gimpy. Absolute dominance this year. Glad to see you back in excellent form.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Don't forget those $9 Blue Moons you enjoyed drinking last season at the Ritz...and the ski valets.

Ah yes, that was to celebrate skiing the gnarly backside. Unfortunately this year I didn’t make it to Northstar, however, I brought my own beers to Heavenly because I got tired of paying over $30 for 2 cans of Guinness at a crummy lodge with no ski valet. I miss the “affordable beers” being brought to me at the Ritz while I warm up on comfy sofa by the fireplace while others track out the deepest snowpack in Tahoe. Alas, this year I am slumming it in the backcountry...
    Last edited by hercule33; 03-11-2019 at 11:07 PM.

It was good today.

Name:	IMG_5490.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	273705

Name:	IMG_5470.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	273706

Name:	IMG_5487.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	273707

Name:	IMG_5485.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	273708

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    It was good today.
    Nice work, that looks fantastic! Is that halls?

Name:  IMG_5566.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  178.0 KB

I took the snowboard out today for a change, dEm lunchTrayz R fun!

Two of my favorite tours by Gimpy and Gnar, way to go boys

because it's not owned by fucking vail. lookout mountain. truly insane? really??
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    because it's not owned by fucking vail. lookout mountain. truly insane? really??
    Calibration... how does it work?

A few days late but the Silver Peak trees were mint on Saturday

Name:	IMG_3839.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	273738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg 
Size:	998.5 KB 
ID:	273741