Page 53 of 175 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 4354

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So where do I find that line graph that forecasts the temp over time at various elevations? I often see one for donner pass or one of the resorts. BA and the NV Co weather FB guy sometimes use it.
    I think there’s a link to it on the first page of last year’s thread.

Ok, why is rose saying 3-4” and Squaw 2+ feet? I didn’t think this was that kind of storm. Plus, heave says 7 and I got 6 at house in Kings Beach.

Edit: now it says 16-19. Gotta check the time stamp on those reports. I’ll be out there on slide side with y’all.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

KW reporting 8 overnight. 14 for the day.

No snow at Hamms station. Weird. Gate opened at 7:40. Snow not too wet. Can’t see top of six. Light snow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Ahhhh I hate those days when KT line is the longest at 4:00, singles lane basically going to the top of exhibition. And then they just shut off the gates at 4 sharp, leaving everyone behind them pissed off and stampeding each other...like couldn't they put up a sign at the end of the line and then just run to 4:05 if they miscalculate?

But its all good, because the line to leave the valley will be twice as long
    Yeah, sucks when you hit main air at 3:45 into fully refreshed landings and no one is around to heckle you for *almost* losing your skis. :fmicon

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

storm pretty much fizzled on the south shore bout dusk while it kept hammering up north. on the bright side, heave got the perfect amount of pow for kids so im giving em another hooky day. it never rained up here at 7.7k and the sun is trying to poke out. bc will be suspect for a bit.

Slide side closed. Chutes open. Normal for pow days at Rose?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Disney running, Lincoln spinning well see if it opens.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

KT started loading at 11. Today was a day to separate those who can ski from those who can't. Sadly I found myself in the latter group. 2 runs and done. I had a lot of company leaving the parking lot. KT line went from all the way to the start of the maze to ski onto the lift within an hour.

Rose cannot open the Chutes without Slide side/Zephyr lift running.
    Chuter lift only drops you at that onload.

Man, it was "punchy" snow, rather than pow at Rose.
    If you go down in it, its gonna be a mighty effort to get your skis back on top.
    Good for the base tho, right?

Started with only Lakeview lift, but got Northwestern running eventually.
    No Slide side.
    The Rock-garden next to Ramseys was fun to track up.
    Some other stuff was...erm...difficult...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Weekday Pow is really what it is all about. Yea Boy!

I really wanted to ski all day but had to be back in town by noon. Made it by 2 minutes.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post

Good for the base tho, right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    She's got a nice personality.

Man south lake got robbed on yesterdays storm! Oh well Kirkwood was plenty deep today for a storm that's just getting rollin'. Hoping tonight/tomorrow lives up to the hype.

PH also had punchy snow. I did a lap on my 100mm skis and struggled. Second lap on the 120mm more rockered pair was much better, but not really worth a 3rd. Tomorrow will be interesting, and Fri-Sat looks to be fantastic.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    PH also had punchy snow. I did a lap on my 100mm skis and struggled. Second lap on the 120mm more rockered pair was much better, but not really worth a 3rd. Tomorrow will be interesting, and Fri-Sat looks to be fantastic.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    I think I saw you there flying uphill as I was slowly making my way up the mountain. Punchy snow is pretty spot on description but at least it was untracked and I noticed no instabilities.
    Last edited by hercule33; 01-16-2019 at 06:47 PM.

Hmmmmm......maybe less was better
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2739.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	264933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2854.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	264935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	264936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	264937

Squaw was fun today despite the wild snow conditions. A ton of things slid during the storm and blasting, and the snowpack was a crazy upside down mess. Hope that this next round performs as predicted!

Couldn't help to let loose a little with all the snow, although this wasn't my proudest huck.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 6.33.44 PM.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	264938

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 6.33.16 PM.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	264939

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 6.35.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	264940

Raining in south lake. Interesting to see when it turns to snow.

holy crap is it dumping rain in SF
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    bc will be suspect for a bit.
    as with powderhouse in 16-17 today i got another lesson titled 'yes that can slide'. we headed to red lake lower parking lot to skin up the old road to some mellow slopes in the trees. generally lower angle than powderhouse. the only real issue on the way out is one low angle face above the lake that is usually blown off for the most part. this is the open area on the road right after you come out of the trees to start. there is one tree on the right (downhill side of the trail) that usually has an area surrounding it blown clear of snow. we were 30' past that tree and the last picture looking back down the skin track was at that tree. As we skinned out we noticed cracks running from our tips to tails but no shooting crack or whumphing although the snowpack was definitely upside down and the light 2" crust seemed reactive. then a crack shot out forward and downslope about 60' that started a slide which propagated back behind us about 100 yards but couldn't make it up onto the road. we turned around.
    crack
    Name:  shooting-crack.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  shooting-crack2.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:	view-down.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	265001

Name:	view-down-2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	342.8 KB 
ID:	265002

the part that broke behind us

Name:	cornice-view.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	608.8 KB 
ID:	265004

green is the road/skintrack. red is the shooting crack to where it started. black is the crown outline which ranged from 1'-3'.

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	265003

Also, props to the caltrans worker that saw the crown and 1 skier exiting down the road and stopped by the parking lot make sure everything was ok.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thanks for the heads up & pics, Powdork -> lots of info in those shots.

Looks like a particularly sobering moment for the dogs...

How the Tahoe people doing, The REAL Heavy rain woke me up. Now just after midnight the rain is turning into big fat flakes.

There must be some serious flooding somewhere.

I had a stack of Strand board and lumber delivered today I am rooting for the plastic covering it But who knows.

I jusy looked out the window again, Now it is dumping snow. Must be crazy around the Lake
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Thanks for the heads up & pics, Powdork -> lots of info in those shots.

Looks like a particularly sobering moment for the dogs...
    I don't think the slide spooked them. They had fallen in behind since it was tough going for them and from their height I doubt they saw anything. The husky (not pictured cause she had already run a ways down the trail) maybe noticed and we discussed that due to her breed. But I know for sure they sensed our apprehension and reacted to that. That may have been the driving force for the Husky bailing more too since she was the only one that wasn't ours. plus she's a husky.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    How the Tahoe people doing, The REAL Heavy rain woke me up. Now just after midnight the rain is turning into big fat flakes.

There must be some serious flooding somewhere.
    Forecast called for no river flooding due to antecedent dry conditions but considerable pooling in low lying areas. And they seem to have nailed just about everything with the forecast. Including especially the NCFR (Narrow Cold-Frontal Rainband) they kept hyping so i had to look up. this brought in lower snow levels via the wet bulb effect and they stayed down behind due to the cold frontal passage. this radar shows it all sow well plus has the NCFR looking like a bad ass bull plus the striated sections coming onshore that are gonna drop the dope bomb pow pow (that seem to be just behind a secondary NCFR).
    Name:  radar.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  326.8 KB

Anyone think the spur will open up at any point today? Planning on taking my time driving up in the afternoon for an early start tomorrow.

When caltrans says closed due to snow instead of for av control it’s not optimistic

Not that much snow reported at KW.