Page 109 of 175 FirstFirst ... 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 4354

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Diddle Diddle View Post
    Employee says Heavenly is crowded because this is ski week. Don't know what that means.
    Ski week means, Truckee/marin/Mendocino etc school districts close down. Groms everywhere! Just like spring break but for skier families.

Hence me staying home this midweek to ride mtb. Then resuming midweek pow hunting next week, tue looks sweet if BA is accurate.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Riding up sky. Pellet snow and getting socked in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Yeah... this is definitely a thing. Did outer outer a few weeks ago and as we’re getting onto the road, a couple of guys pop out of the woods and ask where that road goes. Blew me away that somebody would follow tracks blindly.
    Several years ago i was skiing spring corn off the back side of heavenly. Snow/dirt line was about 7500K feet. When I stopped to put on my skins and a guy comes up to me asking how to get to the lift. I told him it was uphill to Mott chair or several miles hiking down the dirt road to Minden. I'm guessing the walk out took him most of the day as well as ruined his ski boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleblade View Post
    Yesterday morning I was hitchhiking on 207 heading back to the ski area. An older woman in a pickup truck with Nevada tags going the opposite direction slowed and began yelling that “people like me” skiing out of the resort were the reason the person had gone missing at Heavenly. I engaged her that the search was taking place in the ski area. She then yelled the same thing at me again before gunning off in a black cloud of diesel smoke. I guess this is the “sucker track” argument that if you ski it someone who shouldn’t will follow your tracks and this will be your fault.
    sounds like she just needed an excuse to give you a "rollin coal" salute. It's a Douglas County specialty

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    Ski week means, Truckee/marin/Mendocino etc school districts close down. Groms everywhere! Just like spring break but for skier families.

Hence me staying home this midweek to ride mtb. Then resuming midweek pow hunting next week, tue looks sweet if BA is accurate.
    Found out yesterday that it also include districts on the peninsula and SF. That considered, sugarbowl was not very crowded.

Ski week article on sfgate: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...A-12638966.php

Heav won't be bad midweek, lifts open 8:30 so if you want a nice parking spot get up there before 7:30 for stagecoach, 8 for the other lots. Ski the top (sky, dipper, comet) in the morning then head lower once those lifts become a cluster.

Overheard so many beaters on the lifts and in town talking up doing the minden mile lately, it'll end badly for somebody if it hasn't already.

Looking for knee doc recommendations in the Tahoe area. I'm in Tahoe City, but don't mind heading a little further out for better and hopefully cheaper care.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Looking for knee doc recommendations in the Tahoe area. I'm in Tahoe City, but don't mind heading a little further out for better and hopefully cheaper care.
    Dr. Orr at Barton in South Lake is probably one of the best anywhere in the USA but it won't be cheap.

South Lake is down a Orthopedic surgeon since Banner passed away. Getting a Appt might be a bit slow for Orr.

Jeff Cummings in Carson Valley is very good, fixed up my girlfriends knee last season and will be doing mine next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Wasn’t that Monday? Curious about yesterday. Monday was a holiday; only some kids out of school this week. Mine is supposed to be in school.
    they were closed tuesday morning while they searched for the missing older guy. they found him and then opened after getting him out of there .
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Grubbers
    6 or 7 knee repairs combi in the family, my picks would be:
    1. Dr Shonnard in south Reno.
    2. Dr Dodd in Truckee if you want to stay closer to home.
    They both do a shitload of knee repair. Good luck with it.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Snowing well at the Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Grubbers
    6 or 7 knee repairs combi in the family, my picks would be:
    1. Dr Shonnard in south Reno.
    2. Dr Dodd in Truckee if you want to stay closer to home.
    They both do a shitload of knee repair. Good luck with it.
    Dodd did a good job with my complicated tib-fib/medial malleolus fracture years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Squaw lured a lot of people to the mountain this morning. Guy in front of me in line for Funitel bailed when he found out no Palisades, no Granite Peak and no Silvie. He was 4th in line at the time. I ended up doing some runs off Headwall and found some great snow still and then Red Dog Ridge (from both KT and Red Dog lift) as well as Squaw Creek. Lots of pow still out there.
    #Me too
    Same old, same old...

Where is everybody? I drove out to carson pass for a tour and the usual BC parking pull-outs were mostly empty. Finished out the day at Mott canyon with no lines and secret pow stashes still all intact. I just wished I had more leg left.

mr toad: carson pass was closed off and on all day so youre one of the lucky ones that got thru

Showed up around 10 thinking it might be sunny. Then it proceeded to nuke all day...maybe 6-8 inches of blower on the hill by the time I left. Haven't had a day without at least a little snow in over a week. Craziness!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4936.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	270687

I say that every time I’m out there toad. Hah!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lifting my head, looking for danger signs

Name:	IMG_5770.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	270703

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The wood was good. Had two plans fall through. No matter. Just skied fresh lines all day inbounds. Holy refresh.

Trying to convince friends to drive out to KW tomorrow instead of staying in town. I know where I’m going.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Where is everybody?...
    Been asking myself the same question the past few days.
    Today at The Star I basically rode right on to every lift...no lines.
    Pretty much every run I did with the 5 kids in my charge was empty, too.
    Easy commute home to boot.
    Hell, even 89 to Squaw (at least from Donner Pass Road to West River) this morning at 7:15 was empty. WTF?

FWIW, I skied on some 165cm 13m radius slalom skis today.
    If you really want to know how good of a skier you are, then ski something like this on a semi-pow day.
    They were pure ecstacy on the groomers, though.
    I may take 'em out again tomorrow just to abuse myself.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Got to check out some steep lines on Tuesday. Unfortunately I thought I was in the clear just below the spine and decided to let the board run, got caught off guard by the "bergshrund" and blew out the knee on impact. Shit happens.

My line was a somewhat mellower option just to the left.

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	270708

Fuck injuries.

No one at the wood all week. Today was especially empty.

Found a line that skied really well in Thunder Saddle today. Went back and put tracks right next to mine. No one else around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Fuck injuries.

No one at the wood all week. Today was especially empty.

Found a line that skied really well in Thunder Saddle today. Went back and put tracks right next to mine. No one else around.
    I don’t know how I haven’t ridden a chair with you sometime.

we're probably all skiing the same shit together all the time and just...ships in the night