Page 46 of 173 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 4324
    I slipped through 88 right before they closed it. The road was mostly fine, other than a 50’ section of off camber road where a bunch of gapers thought it would be smart to lock up their brakes, and one by one they each slid sideways into the ditch. And one into a trooper’s truck who pulled over to help. Guessing that turned into what eventually closed it.

KW - pioneer was 90 minutes.

Kirkwood stating 29 inches last 48 hours. Doesn't seem like much relative to roads and chaos.

Over a foot fell in Galena Forest yesterday, mostly stopped by around 9 pm. Cleared snow for two hours so I can get out fast this morning and go ski it.

It seemed like it got heavier / wetter the longer we cleared - it was lighter underneathz heavier on top. Temperature increased from about 28 to 33 during the two hours we were outside working.

Heading to Mt Rose this morning, assuming they open. Orange helmet and large DPS of some sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Horrid commute...2 mins to heav tram at 8:20, then a few pow laps then 40 min wait for mott rock city, then back to CA for a 2 min drive to lunch at home...sorry guys....at least you f*ckers will be out there today getting it while I do trial prep.

88 was the biggest shit show I have ever seen in my life last night. 8 hr drive to Sac from the wood.

Yesterday was good, today will be amazing. work work work
    Hello darkness my old friend

The driveway has two inches of slushee on it, and it's windy again. Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Feeling pretty good about my decision to leave town Friday night. But glad some of you guys got the goods despite the traffic shit show. Today seems like a smart day to wear your beacon inbounds, if anything opens.

Broke the shear pin on my blower this am trying to cut through the Sierra cement.

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    I got stuck behind the 88 closure this afternoon for a couple hours while heading back down to sac. Couldn't see the accident (tons of cars ahead of me) but apparently there was a 20-30 car pile up.
    I was about 10 cars from the front of that. Too many idiots with summer tires trying to pass other idiots and then getting stuck. Then the plows walled us in and no one could move east or west. It was great. Apparently "chain control" means "do nothing different" to many people.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20190106_173620.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	263283

It was a frustrating end to an otherwise awesome day of faceshots, windblown pow and ice beards.

Name:	IMG_20190106_124935.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	983.8 KB 
ID:	263284

Last night, down here in "dry as a popcorn fart" land, it was snowing lovely fat flakes, that were piling up nicely...
    This morning, a lot has gone, and the rain(?) has left the remainder looking like its sun-cupped.
    And there's a crystalline crust on top.
    Skiing should be interesting up higher...
    Good luck Mags.

Name:	1546877154847.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	263286

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1546877154847.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	263287  

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Last night, down here in "dry as a popcorn fart" land, it was snowing lovely fat flakes, that were piling up nicely...
    This morning, a lot has gone, and the rain(?) has left the remainder looking like its sun-cupped.
    And there's a crystalline crust on top.
    Skiing should be interesting up higher...
    Good luck Mags.
    Yeah that warming wind event has me thinking that the 'considerable' rating is too low and the skiing will be sub par (and horrid for the pups) so I'm staying in today.

88 and 80 are still closed according to gmaps
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    88 was the biggest shit show I have ever seen in my life last night. 8 hr drive to Sac from the wood.
    me too. Just too much snow on the road, every car around me got stuck just past Silver lake at about 5pm and then it was a 5 hour wait to replow and free everyone. Started moving 10pm.. got home 2am (yawn). I'm just glad I got out although people snowed in at KW today are probably stoked if any lifts are spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Yeah that warming wind event has me thinking that the 'considerable' rating is too low and the skiing will be sub par (and horrid for the pups) so I'm staying in today.

88 and 80 are still closed according to gmaps
    Agreed. I thought the rating yesterday was a bit high from Sac. It definitely was not high where I was (below tree line) and reports here of PH also showed safe conditions. Wonder why SAC had it so high.

Upside down snow pack plus wind does not sound safe today. Staying in also.

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    Wow was Kirkwood crowded today!
    Makes sense I guess, Sunday and all. But I can't believe how many people showed up given the poor weather and road conditions.
    I got stuck behind the 88 closure this afternoon for a couple hours while heading back down to sac. Couldn't see the accident (tons of cars ahead of me) but apparently there was a 20-30 car pile up.
    The new Vail customer thing is to ski KW on Sunday on the way home. It has been less crowded on Saturdays starting the last season or two. I originally thought it was due to the Local Pass Saturday blackout, but I've spoke with a ton of people, many with the full Epic who have a place in SLT, ski Heavenly on Sat and KW on Sun.

Just another way that Vail is fucking over the valley. The drive west on Sundays used to be a breeze. Now it is a cluster fuck. Shitty drivers bringing their shitty driving skills from 80/50 and bringing the shit show to 88. Slow white knuckle drivers on dry warm roads and fast impatient drivers on cold slick roads.

My wife and I have been talking about not bothering anymore. We might go IKON next year and not bother skiing Tahoe in the winter. Take a drive to Montana or Wyoming for a week stay, fly to SLC for a weekend, and ski Squawlpine in December and April, Mammy April and May. The shit show has finally try come to KW. Its not the crowds on the hill but the crowds in the parking lots and on the roads.

I think it was gimpy who was saying fuck the resorts cause they suck anyway. Okay (but it is great for the kiddo), but it is the weekend traffic that seems to be the biggest problem. Once I'm in valley at KW, it is really no different than before. The shuttle service still sucks (except when Tanya is there - she fucking rocks), the communication is piss poor, rules and policies are in flux, and the mountain skis great. Only thing is burgers are now $15.95.

I'd like to say /rant, but we know that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Agreed. I thought the rating yesterday was a bit high from Sac. It definitely was not high where I was (below tree line) and reports here of PH also showed safe conditions. Wonder why SAC had it so high.

Upside down snow pack plus wind does not sound safe today. Staying in also.
    They had it as considerable in the morning going to high when the snows came in. But the way the snows came didn't really warrant the high until last night.

I have a graph I use that is similar to the hot/crazy graph for women with fun/danger on the axis. Today is way past the fun/danger intersection you want to spend the night with.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    me too. Just too much snow on the road, every car around me got stuck just past Silver lake at about 5pm and then it was a 5 hour wait to replow and free everyone. Started moving 10pm.. got home 2am (yawn). I'm just glad I got out although people snowed in at KW today are probably stoked if any lifts are spinning.
    Glad I didn't go with you. I was up at 5:45 this morning. Damn.

Watching the snow calendar for the next worthwhile mid week day I can make happen.

hmmm. On Google maps it says 88 will be closed til Jan 8. The caltrans site just says closed for AC

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Natural avalanche activity was observed on Andesite yesterday (and I'm sure elsewhere). So technically SAC got it right. If they're on the fence they might as well error on the safe (dangerous) side.

Ottime - if you do make the switch, for the most part Squawlpine is fine on weekdays, even if it snows (it's crowded but not an untenable shit show). It's really just storm weekends that are an issue. But I suppose the same applies to KW.

Glad to be a little under the weather this morning so stayed put:

Chairs 5 & 7 are currently the only chairs planned for operation today. Hwy 88 is still closed in both directions with an ETO of 12:00 pm per CHP.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was mostly just talking shit ottime. Resorts are just fine if u have the freedom to pick and choose your spots and are obviously crucial to getting kids out there. If I could only ski Tahoe resorts on weekends, I’d prolly b saying fuck it too

Sacs recent mo has been to put up a high rating during storm cycles. This is based primarily on the 24 hour rule and not actual observations. Better safe then sorry. I will say it did help steer us away from Jakes and over to ruby yesterday but the only instability we saw was only on loaded steeps literally on the crest. To b honest, I would have kept it high today. Top layer was failing w just isolation this am.
    Anyone not getting out today, if snow at heave is any indicator, u made the right call. Thick slabby n upside down like a mofo. Kids rocking the snowboards today n I’m almost wishing u had one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Sacs recent mo has been to put up a high rating during storm cycles. This is based primarily on the 24 hour rule and not actual observations. Better safe then sorry. I will say it did help steer us away from Jakes and over to ruby yesterday but the only instability we saw was only on loaded steeps literally on the crest. To b honest, I would have kept it high today. Top layer was failing w just isolation this am.
    s
    I think there is sometimes a disconnect between the north and south, with the forecast favoring their location. Last night they stayed under the heavier snow band with lighter winds while the south got super warm and windy.
    Felt like a high down here to me too today.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Natural avalanche activity was observed on Andesite yesterday (and I'm sure elsewhere). So technically SAC got it right. If they're on the fence they might as well error on the safe (dangerous) side.

Ottime - if you do make the switch, for the most part Squawlpine is fine on weekdays, even if it snows (it's crowded but not an untenable shit show). It's really just storm weekends that are an issue. But I suppose the same applies to KW.
    It does seem as they are erring on the safe side and North Lake did get much more snow than SLT with this storm.

Anyone observe any instabilities below the tree line yesterday or today?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I have a graph I use that is similar to the hot/crazy graph for women with fun/danger on the axis. Today is way past the fun/danger intersection you want to spend the night with.
    Some times it's just not worth it

Really not worth it today in Canada.

https://snowbrains.com/extreme-avalanche-risk-canada/

Europe people are dying all over the place
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.e8ac389a88d4

Seven die in massive Alps snowfall from Germany to Italy
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46780856

All this after 4 died in norway last week