Page 92 of 175 FirstFirst ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 4354
    Missed the storm in Tahoe but caught it on the North Coast. Pics are from driving east from highway 1 to 101.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0303.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	844.0 KB 
ID:	269159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0304.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	269160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0305.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	912.3 KB 
ID:	269161

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Wow. What a day. Honestly hands down best pow day I’ve ever had. First untracked run (and next 3) off Gun Barrel was something else. Have a cool video of the patrollers coming down it before they opened, will have to figure out how to post it.

Honestly skied more or less untracked runs the entire day. Waist deep. Managed to be one of the first in line for Gunbarrel, Powderbowl, Canyons, and Sky openings. All the way to the last run you could still find untracked lines if you went off into the trees and searched a bit. Seems like the majority of people there were tourists with skinny rental skis, kept them floundering directly under the lifts. No wind for the most part, bordering on bluebird day. Blower pow, face shots galore. Surprised that I bottomed out on rocks and stumps with all the heavy snow from last week, sent me over the handlebars a couple times.

That being said, left at 3:30 and will be home at 10:30... Californians need to learn how to drive. Still worth it.

No action shots cause I was too busy skiing (; Although of all the days to bother with a Go Pro this would have been it

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    New neighbors
    Attachment 269150

https://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Lovely pic.
    Did you mess with the color?

Is that vasectomy humor?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    chuckle [/thats so funny]

Yellow luminance is brought down which likely makes it feel richer that it should. It's an 8-frame panorama. Each frame is 7 bracketed exposures for blending. So that definitely makes it feel a little richer in color but I'd agree the yellows seem a little overcooked.

@meter-man - I got your PM. I have no idea why I can't get my response to send. I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Wow. What a day. Honestly hands down best pow day I’ve ever had. First untracked run (and next 3) off Gun Barrel was something else. Have a cool video of the patrollers coming down it before they opened, will have to figure out how to post it.

Honestly skied more or less untracked runs the entire day. Waist deep. Managed to be one of the first in line for Gunbarrel, Powderbowl, Canyons, and Sky openings. All the way to the last run you could still find untracked lines if you went off into the trees and searched a bit. Seems like the majority of people there were tourists with skinny rental skis, kept them floundering directly under the lifts. No wind for the most part, bordering on bluebird day. Blower pow, face shots galore. Surprised that I bottomed out on rocks and stumps with all the heavy snow from last week, sent me over the handlebars a couple times.

That being said, left at 3:30 and will be home at 10:30... Californians need to learn how to drive. Still worth it.

No action shots cause I was too busy skiing (; Although of all the days to bother with a Go Pro this would have been it
    I rode the lift with a guy from CO. I asked him how the CO season was and he said it was good early. Was that you?

And yes, CA drivers stink in the snow. I won't complain anymore about VT drivers.

All those people on skinny rental skis often don’t know how to drive in the snow. So while they are great at your hill not tracking out the goods, they still slow that drive home.

Took our friends 3 hours to get from KW to Meyers. So just 7 back to SF sounds like a win.

Sunny and cold here this morning. Up to 10F now, but car read -6F at 7am in the shade.

Cars coming in, but not a pain train. Gonna be good out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    I rode the lift with a guy from CO. I asked him how the CO season was and he said it was good early. Was that you?

And yes, CA drivers stink in the snow. I won't complain anymore about VT drivers.
    Possibly? I had my Wood Veneer Lhasas and a bright neon green jacket. Talked to at least one Mag on a lift, think mainly discussed the skis though

Ok I lied. I did not get any reading done yesterday.

And only 6 hours from Alpine Meadows to Berkeley.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

all this talk has me real hype for this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    Avi 1 course suggestions in Tahoe?
    Go to Utah or Colorado. Nothing to see in our pack. 2 feet in 24 hours and nothing slides except small wind slabs.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I lasted about 5 runs at Rose. My legs are cooked. Pow’s all tracked anyway

They were bombing chutes when I left so hopefully you all lucky SOBs get some. If not, I’m lining up there tomorrow.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Serious FOMO here in the bay. Not sure if I'm looking fwd to today's picks or better that I don't look. Serious jonesing in effect

Someone posted this 10 yrs ago and just popped up in my timeline. If you can't duplicate, don't bother posting today
    Name:  IMG_5558.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  50.3 KB

First, one of the best days I have had in years is completely dedicated and thanks to Teledave for sponsoring Mini Comish and my trip to Sugar Bowl this weekend from this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-to?highlight= You sir are the Man!

Wow, what a weekend! What a week! After scoring at Mammoth last weekend and then on Wednesday, Mini Comish and I headed to Sugar Bowl for the theoretical U12 slalom races that were cancelled after a first run. We then lapped some pow that afternoon.

Lucky for us, we crashed with teammates who had rented a house on Donner Pass road. Score! Since all roads in Tahoe were closed on Sunday, we basically lapped Sugar Bowl country club style all day on Sunday. It was amazing! Mini Comish was ripping, even on slalom skis, through the deeep, light pow! What a day. One for the memory banks and likely my best day skiing deeeep light pow in a few years since Austria. Not often do the Sierra's get this quantity combined with quality, and then to have no pow frenzy, lift lines, and fresh available all day long!?!? WOW Then to get on 80 around 3pm to find it still completely empty, we had a nice easy drive back to SAC. Was it a dream?

Thank you Teledave!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190210_084229.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	667.6 KB 
ID:	269215

That is my rental SUV, completely buried. Yep, those are the windshield wipers sticking out of the snow! Took about 1.5hrs to dig out!

Name:	20190210_110046.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	580.6 KB 
ID:	269214

Name:	20190210_104741.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	759.3 KB 
ID:	269217

Name:	20190210_082559.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	661.4 KB 
ID:	269224

My view from the front door Sunday morning. CaPow buried!?!?!

Name:	20190210_113420.jpg 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	269218

Mini Comish going full send! He stuck the landing amazingly enough and ripped off through the woods in the deep pow hooting and hollering!

Name:	20190210_130139.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	269219

Happy Pow partner in crime! Pretty F'n awesome when your 10 yr old can be your Pow buddy and be as stoked as "Dada"! No lunch, no breaks, just shredding pow with a bunch of deep face plants for fun!

Name:	20190210_150934.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	269220

Surreal being the only car on I80 going westbound!?!?

Name:	20190210_144528.jpg 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	269223

Since we skipped lunch to ski pow, we split the left over Ben n Jerry's for lunch!
    Last edited by comish; 02-11-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I suck at pictures!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Crazy crowds in the parking lot and line up at the Rose slide side this morning. Went straight to the main side and skied right onto the chair for several laps. Weird.

Reportedly the snow was better on slide. Main had some wind affect but plenty good snow in the trees. Sun is cooking the slide side.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Reports were Squaw parking was full at 11

Reno or Carson mags - can anyone hook me up with a ski bag?

My work is paying me to go to Anchorage first week of march, and I am turning that into a ski and (hopefully) heli trip. Haven't flown to ski in 5+ years, and I don't own a ski bag. Anyone got one they're not using for two weeks - last week of Feb first week of March? Will compensate w beer, beer money, laps on skis

Comish, what a great post. You sir are one lucky man to have an up and coming partner in crime. Great memories with your children are the best face shots in life. Good job Dad
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Possibly? I had my Wood Veneer Lhasas and a bright neon green jacket. Talked to at least one Mag on a lift, think mainly discussed the skis though
    Twas Me Muggy. Hopefully you followed me on that lap! Would have been fun to ski with you and show you around. Sounds like you did good though. Gotta Love the Heave carnival.

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo - Living is the Best!

Cool Temps + Low Sun + Waist Deep Blower = Recipe For Success. 3 Gondy Laps and Nipple Deep in Killebrew and Motts this morning.

Now time for playing desk jockey!
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Squaw was tracked out fast, as expected. Still great skiing of course--the highlight for me was glassy smooth blown-in pow in chute 75.

I hope there is a good time lapse of the carnage like the one of the fingers a few years back

Name:	IMG_4463.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	269254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	269255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4654.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	864.0 KB 
ID:	269256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4685.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	765.9 KB 
ID:	269257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4772.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	675.1 KB 
ID:	269258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4805.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	931.7 KB 
ID:	269259
    Only lap I pulled phone out
    West winds got to upper exposed
    Word is out

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The backcountry is still holding good snow if you are willing to work for it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0306.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	914.8 KB 
ID:	269261

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Go to Utah or Colorado. Nothing to see in our pack. 2 feet in 24 hours and nothing slides except small wind slabs.
    Um, basically all of Grizzly Bowl slid. Check out Mikes post in the Central Cal thread. No reason to be complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Um, basically all of Grizzly Bowl slid. Check out Mikes post in the Central Cal thread. No reason to be complacent.
    Attention! Attention! California does have avalanches. [/PSA]

I don’t think there’s much to see inside the snowpack. Most of our avy problems are in the recent snow and you find those weaknesses only with proper timing because things settle so quickly (in general and relative to Rockies). More to learn digging in continental pack. For the first time avy class, mostly learning how to spot avy danger, how to avoid it and what to do if shit goes sideways, anywhere is good. I really like going out to a ridge line, when we have fresh snow and winds lingering after the storm, then stomping on the top of the fresh slabs to see where and how they fracture. Even that can be frustrating sometimes in Cali because they just won’t fucking slide.

ETA: if you have to do Avy 1 in CA and want to learn about the pack, take the earliest-in-the-season course you can.