Page 54 of 175 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 4354
    south tahoeschools snowday today but too gnarly for my fairweather california kids to get out in it. snowlevel seemed bout 7.5k on drive home last night so no rain up here n bout a foot of cake. heave claiming stage at 9 so gonna go see (or feel anyway) whats up.
    kicked off a decent release on a roll behind a heave snowfence that took out my friend following behind me. when yer cracking slabs at the inbounds gnar that is the heave, u know its suspect

Quote Originally Posted by fk View Post
    Anyone think the spur will open up at any point today? Planning on taking my time driving up in the afternoon for an early start tomorrow.
    I would guess not, but as long as you have lots of time you can take 50 the long way
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Woke up to only an inch or two overnight in Kings Beach. BA was wrong about the Storm of the Century (even if he never said it).

Was snowing lightly about 8. Now it’s coming down pretty hard. Definitely looks like wind higher up.

Oh, and power is out here and incline at least.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Glad I got tomorrow off of work rather than today.

Now I get to sit at my desk and agonize over the decision to go to kirkwood or rose tomorrow. Living the good life

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Woke up to only an inch or two overnight in Kings Beach. BA was wrong about the Storm of the Century (even if he never said it).

Was snowing lightly about 8. Now it’s coming down pretty hard. Definitely looks like wind higher up.

Oh, and power is out here and incline at least.
    all the forecasts I saw said the snow levels would remain at 6500-7000 overnight. Seems like they nailed it.

Anyone here ever sleep in their car overnight at Donner Pass Rest Area? Taking a day off tomorrow to get some action and was planning on driving up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    Anyone here ever sleep in their car overnight at Donner Pass Rest Area? Taking a day off tomorrow to get some action and was planning on driving up tonight.
    Boreal used to let you park next to the Snowshoe Thompson statue in their lot and they'd plow around you. No idea if that's still the case. The sno-park parking might work too.

I would not sleep at the rest area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Donner summit rest stop isn't a great option. Gold run is lower down and works better. Slept there many times. Sno park is best, but you need a pass...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Common knowledge but worth repeating cuz it has happened to people in the squaw parking lot before, but make sure your tailpipe is clear if you are running your car!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Random question for the Tahoe folk. A lady friend of mine who lives in the bay area is in the need for some real boots and I was wondering who are the recommend boot fitters in the Tahoe area? Doubt she needs anything super custom but I'd like to send her to a shop that knows their shit rather because the shop back east definitely put her in boots that were too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    When caltrans says closed due to snow instead of for av control it’s not optimistic

Not that much snow reported at KW.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I’ve seen no correlation between what Caltrans posts and timing. They suck at any sort of clear communication.

Doubt it will open anytime soon with the windy steady at 70mph w 100+ gusts at the top of 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Random question for the Tahoe folk. A lady friend of mine who lives in the bay area is in the need for some real boots and I was wondering who are the recommend boot fitters in the Tahoe area? Doubt she needs anything super custom but I'd like to send her to a shop that knows their shit rather because the shop back east definitely put her in boots that were too soft.
    Olympic Bootworks in Squaw Valley

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Cal ski co in Berkeley.
    (510) 527-6411

Sports basement in the city.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 01-17-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
    Olympic Bootworks in Squaw Valley
    Second that motion for OBW. The best.

Comet and Olympic opened at Heav. That might have been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Donner summit rest stop isn't a great option. Gold run is lower down and works better. Slept there many times. Sno park is best, but you need a pass...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    gold run rest stops are closed. according to cal trans web site parking up to 8 hours allowed at rest stops but cannot use for touring, hiking, etc--driver must remain on the premises. The site is only showing the EB rest area--is the WB one closed too?
    I've never slept at the Donner Summit rest area; I have tried to sleep at other ones on cross country trips but the truck engines, which stay on all night, kept me awake.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Pass is all of $5 for one day or $25 for the season....
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    It's usually windy at the pass, therefore cold.

If your car is weathertight, be sure to crack the windows to maintain oxygen supply.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Kirkwood just closed.
    Mt.Rose, and Rose Hwy have been closed all day.
    So, tomorrow gonna be full on SierraCement?
    Or might there be a chance of something soft on top?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I’ve seen no correlation between what Caltrans posts and timing. They suck at any sort of clear communication.

Doubt it will open anytime soon with the windy steady at 70mph w 100+ gusts at the top of 6.
    The even say as much on their pages
    PLEASE RESEARCH CHAIN CONTROL LOCATIONS AS CALTRANS IS CURRENTLY WORKING TO
    UPDATE CHAIN CONTROL DESCRIPTIONS FOR CONSISTENCY WITH INTERNET MAPPING,
    LIKE GOOGLE MAPS & MAPQUEST.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    So, tomorrow gonna be full on SierraCement?
    Or might there be a chance of something soft on top?
    Snow levels look decent according to BA

"Thursday heavy snow continues with snow levels falling to around 4,500 feet by late afternoon...Then snow showers Thursday night taper off by Friday morning with snow levels dropping below 4000 feet"

yeah I think tomorrow will be awesome skiing conditions in the resorts. the rest of the resort scene (traffic, parking, crowds, lift delays, etc) will be utter madness

It snowed 40 plus inches and is snowing off and on in reno. if you can't find something good wtf

Heave was/is skiing great
    Full on nuking when I left
    Bout 6” since I shoveled 3 hrs ago at 7.7k
    Mtn ops really got their shit together there. Had to manually run stagecoach till it could roll auto. Lots of hoots n whoops today. Damn I love storm skiing. Headed back out later
    Tomorow shoukd b an epic resort day. Gonna let bc heal a bit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Still raining steadily here at 4900 but snow is sticking on the hill behindmy house at around 5400'.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.