Page 63 of 175 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 4354

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

For the past few seasons, Old 40 west of soda springs has been closed frequently when there is heavier wintertime traffic on 80 that corresponds with slick roads.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 01-23-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    How about 60,000 cars trying to leave the same location at the exact same time on single lane roads with poorly timed traffic lights?

And yesterday was hardly a snow free day. Caltrans spent all morning trying to clean up the passes from the 3 inches of liquid that dropped. Realistically all it takes is two jabroni's with chains on going 20mph to slow down the entire day.
    I couldn’t have said it better myself. Keep in mind the Great Recession is over and that means many more “Jabronis” on the roads. Remember the number of roads and ski resorts hasn’t increased to accommodate the increase in demand.

Skiing in Far-Western Nevadastan: A five-shot mini-TR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4450.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	265984
    Now this is a vibe.

Name:	IMG_4443.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	954.9 KB 
ID:	265986
    Towards the art of the telemark turn.

Name:	IMG_4491.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	265988
    Cool reservoir!

Name:	IMG_4501.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	265989
    One of those days when time traveling is an option.

Name:	IMG_4479.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	265990
    Moss height on trees is a great indicator of climatological (average) maximum snow depth. So nice to see a base going.

Speaking of snow depth, now you all can help out with a ongoing big science project on snow! Download the MtnHub app, bust out your probe at the trailhead or anywhere else in the back/sidecountry, and upload snow depth measurements (see link below for instructions).

CA-NV is greatly lacking in community-based observations and many people would be stoked if more numbers started coming in. I'm now representing for our area as an ambassador for the Community Snow Observation project (http://communitysnowobs.org/) and would be psyched if we got some good data this season. /endSPAM #therewillbemore

In the 40+ years I've been coming to North Tahoe Truckee regularly or living here that was the worst traffic on the freeway I've ever seen, winter or summer. My personal record from Donner Lake to Sacramento was 3 hours in a blizzard; Monday it was taking 4-5. My understanding is that traffic was basically backed up from Reno to SF. There's just more people.

Were all the semi trucks held from going over 80 on Sunday and just released on Monday when the million people headed home from a three day weekend? It seemed like there were hundreds of them. I've never seen the traffic like that before.

Anyway it was worth it.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

In hindsight the Great Recession created a false sense of reality for Tahoe. I think that Tahoe got a disproportionate amount of money in terms of dollars for improving infrastructure causing the traffic problems we have now. During the Great Recession the current infrastructure was enough but once the economy picked up a 3 hour drive from Squaw to Truckee is becoming the norm during peak season snow storms. Expect for resorts to react by rewarding customers who stay on the hill. Young heard it hear first.

Quote Originally Posted by SP_7 View Post
    Were all the semi trucks held from going over 80 on Sunday and just released on Monday when the million people headed home from a three day weekend? It seemed like there were hundreds of them. I've never seen the traffic like that before.

Anyway it was worth it.
    This was my thought. Seemed like there was a disproportionate amount of semi-traffic on the highway.

We took the tram up and got fourth and fifth tracks down broken arrow. It was so good we went back for a second lap on Tower 16. There were probably only 15 tracks down it at that point. Apparently the funi opened late and a bit late. This storm pasted snow in on all the steeps so well. Laps on head wall, granite etc. man what a day. It was worth it despite the 5.5 hr drive.

But I bet Sugar Bowl was just as good. My last two trips have involved a 4+ hr drive to west Truckee and a 5.5 hr home. Next year I think I’ll be switching to SB.

We did a lap in Sun Bowl on the way to hourglass and on the traverse out there was a woman who lost her board into the ravine out of bounds. Her boyfriend was pissed / perplexed. Apparently she lost her board over the edge and he told her they should walk back and tell ski patrol. Argument ensued and he walked off expecting her to follow. Instead she hiked down after her board. I bet he had a really unexpectedly shitty day.

Don’t y’all stop in Truckee for dinner at jaliscos or burger me before driving over the pass? Hell, on some particularly bad days last year, we drove east over the pass and had dinner in Truckee before heading home. Better on the pocketbook than resort food and better for the family sanity than really hangry kids.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

But I bet Sugar Bowl was just as good.
    Can confirm.

vail sucks, but they're not exactly a necessary evil. i've learned to live without them

i saw noone yesterday

and passed two people and their dogs today
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

CPSSR delivers.

Just signed the pass contract for Presidents week. Looks like I get a five day run sans family. Hoping it is snowy.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Can confirm.
    My first, holiday/weekend at Sugarbowl. Were midweek non holiday people so Had no idea what to expect on Monday(they did not black Monday out). Got there by 8, 6th chair on Disney. Waited for 40 to open to downhill traffic about 2:30. Drive back to truckee was no problem. Cars everywhere by donner pass road exit all the way up Northwoods past the stop sign. Went to dinner at a friends in Homewood that night. 89 was backed up well past Alpine about 5pm. So glad not to have to get to the 20 turnoff to head home.

BTW they ran Disney every day last week and Lincoln some every day but Thursday. Monday was not as bad as I thought actually just as busy as Friday it seemed. Once the lots fill there is no room for more skiers. Was a very good cycle and the wife and kid were stoked to let me get after it. Now i owe them more mountain fun!
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Don’t y’all stop in Truckee for dinner at jaliscos or burger me before driving over the pass? Hell, on some particularly bad days last year, we drove east over the pass and had dinner in Truckee before heading home. Better on the pocketbook than resort food and better for the family sanity than really hangry kids.
    Give Flame of India in the Lucky Longs ( ok Save Mart/CVS) center a try. Good food, one of the less crowded options.

Re Sugar Bowl--Summit Chair--if it's running--is a good option when the evil east wind blows--the west side of Judah is where the snow goes. Sugar Bowl in general seems to keep lifts running when other areas don't (except Summit)--whether it's the siting of the lifts or being on the west slope or both I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Give Flame of India in the Lucky Longs ( ok Save Mart/CVS) center a try. Good food, one of the less crowded options.

Re Sugar Bowl--Summit Chair--if it's running--is a good option when the evil east wind blows--the west side of Judah is where the snow goes. Sugar Bowl in general seems to keep lifts running when other areas don't (except Summit)--whether it's the siting of the lifts or being on the west slope or both I don't know.
    I have yet to ride summit chair, as it’s never been open on a day i was there. However I don’t mind it not going. I prefer the boot pack to the last of the goods and usually finish the day over there. It was great Monday and Tuesday.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

I keep trying to tell my bay area friends to do this and they rarely listen. I will leave 2+ hours after them and get home like 20-30 minutes later than they do.

I’ve also never ridden Summit at SB - kind of forget it’s there. To be fair they say very clearly that it rarely runs when you buy your pass. On that note, I’ll be at SB in a few hours if anyone is around.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Nonono. Sugar bowl sucks. Relatively small. Crowded. Gets tracked out fast. Small parking lots.

Nonono. Sugar bowl sucks. Relatively small. Crowded. Gets tracked out fast. Small parking lots.
    I can confirm. Ski Squaw instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I keep trying to tell my bay area friends to do this and they rarely listen. I will leave 2+ hours after them and get home like 20-30 minutes later than they do.
    Stop telling them that. Fight club, etc

I don't think Summit chair has run all season, and hardly ran last season. Seems like the new management doesn't like it. Works for me, I'd rather people have to work to access Judah Bowl and the backside BC terrain.

Palisades (even just Perko's) seems like a thing of the past as well (unless you're a pro with initials DR). I'm sadder about that.

The wife went to the grocery store in Truckee mid-day on Monday and it took her over 2 hours to drive back - up old 40 to the summit, about 10 miles. Usually takes 20 minutes. At least she didn't have ice cream in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    I don't think Summit chair has run all season, and hardly ran last season. Seems like the new management doesn't like it.
    You may have a point.
    It ran a lot the first season it was in.
    Felt like cheating, when it was good. Wind ridge drop offs in deep pow trees was pretty spicy.
    Nice "hollywood" rock under liftline.
    Great for traversing lookers right along the ridge too.

We really liked the duck behind hut top of Lincoln, ski behind peak over to pallisades/sugar bowl, to come back in.
    Pretty mellow skiing, but with exposure, and wilderness. So don't fall, or go too low.
    If no other time, on last day, Patrol starts pulling up all the boundary ropes...so you are not poaching...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

By Sunday would you guys say a 107 waist ski or 95 (with plenty rocker)waist?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    If you can find inbounds powder deep enough to bog down a 95 ski almost a week after the storm, then I am doing something very wrong.

Is this the CL Personals space for skiers? Hope so...

ISO midweek dawn patrol/pre-work skinning partners. I drive a desk M-F, but I'd rather drive some skis before that. Anyone else on the pre-work skintrack program??? SEND ME PMs 4 GOOD TIMES

Most of my touring partners have the good fortune/better decision-making to have a more flexible schedule than me. I'm in Truckee/North Lake.
    Last edited by meter-man; 01-23-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    sproing!

my annual spam post - for Bay Area folks who missed the premiere in SLT last month.

Name:	Tahoe Adventure Film Festival 2019 Road Tour, Mystic Theatre.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	1,009.3 KB 
ID:	266056

Quote Originally Posted by SpeLunker View Post
    As Hercule was implying, it's most likely gonna be spring conditions.
    Freezing overnight, and 40's - 50's during the day.
    Crusty groomers to sloppy bumps.
    But...are you saying you haven't looked at weather forecasts, but assume we will have fresh snow?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...