Page 50 of 175 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 4354
    Somebody got something to pop today on castle.
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...de-castle-peak

Anyone see the size of the crown just below the lower saddle ridge at Alpine? Patrol told me it was 10 feet at its high point and went on the first charge yesterday.

Went for a hike before I hit the resort today. Flat light but some really nice snow out there still.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1547259172.613768.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	263971

Name:	Image1547259185.918315.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	263972

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^ That up there is a forecast not to be missed. I'm super jonesin to get a good cycle, driving up from Tucson on Monday. I have a good buddy that lives between Truckee and Squaw along 89, so Squaw/Alpine makes a lot of sense. 2nd trip to the area, but 1st time with good snow, what is the hot ticket for a powder morning? Line up for the early tram at squaw and follow teh bros? What does 'early' mean on a weekday power day? Skiing Tues-Fri, so I'll have a day on Tuesday before the snow hammer comes down to get my bearings. That tahoe 4-pack seems like not a bad deal for tickets. Anyone wants to show a Squaw/Alpine newbie the goods, I'd love to hear about it, I promise I can 'hang'! T
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by HobieTony View Post
    ^^^ That up there is a forecast not to be missed. I'm super jonesin to get a good cycle, driving up from Tucson on Monday. I have a good buddy that lives between Truckee and Squaw along 89, so Squaw/Alpine makes a lot of sense. 2nd trip to the area, but 1st time with good snow, what is the hot ticket for a powder morning? Line up for the early tram at squaw and follow teh bros? What does 'early' mean on a weekday power day? Skiing Tues-Fri, so I'll have a day on Tuesday before the snow hammer comes down to get my bearings. That tahoe 4-pack seems like not a bad deal for tickets. Anyone wants to show a Squaw/Alpine newbie the goods, I'd love to hear about it, I promise I can 'hang'! T
    Do not line up for the tram.... or maybe, yes, line up for the tram.

The bros will be cooking breakfast in the KT line by 7am...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Really considering the Ikon instad of the Epic, next season with how much hype I’ve been hearing about Squaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Line View Post
    Really considering the Ikon instad of the Epic, next season with how much hype I’ve been hearing about Squaw.
    Hype in what way? Obviously Squaw is a rad mtn, I think that's universally known. But it has it's share of clusterfucks and mismanagement (At least I've heard the last few years...I don't go there much), which has kind of turned me off from Squaw. Question for you or anyone else, how bad (or maybe good?) is it?

I will say though that I'm intrigued by the Ikon pass for Squaw's spring/summer skiing. Mammoth's too. FU vail and your early closures.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Do not line up for the tram.... or maybe, yes, line up for the tram.

The bros will be cooking breakfast in the KT line by 7am...
    Gotcha, thanks
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    Hype in what way? Obviously Squaw is a rad mtn, I think that's universally known. But it has it's share of clusterfucks and mismanagement (At least I've heard the last few years...I don't go there much), which has kind of turned me off from Squaw. Question for you or anyone else, how bad (or maybe good?) is it?

I will say though that I'm intrigued by the Ikon pass for Squaw's spring/summer skiing. Mammoth's too. FU vail and your early closures.
    Squaw's no good stay in Vail, they have champagne powder and endless corduroy. We have all been seeing first time IKON pass holders (to Squaw) talk bout a clusterfuck and more like a strugglefest. Squaw's not a beginner mountain.
    The commander of time

You're good as long as you arrive in the parking lot by 11am. Start at the Resort at Squaw Creek chair and work your way west. Never take the shuttle to Alpine as its a long wait and all they have is green circle groomers.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    You're good as long as you arrive in the parking lot by 11am. Start at the Resort at Squaw Creek chair and work your way west. Never take the shuttle to Alpine as its a long wait and all they have is green circle groomers.
    As I read this, I got the alert that squaw and alpine parking lots are full at 10:30am

Quote Originally Posted by dhklauer View Post
    As I read this, I got the alert that squaw and alpine parking lots are full at 10:30am
    That late? 930 last weekend.
    The key to skiing Squaw on a powder day--it's like shopping in the USSR used to be: if you see a line get in it (except for shirley lake on the way back from Granite).

Quote Originally Posted by dhklauer View Post
    Nudge nudge wink wink
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Nudge nudge wink wink
    You overestimate the ability of the average human to detect sarcasm in the printed word.

On the subject of traffic, here's a message from Truckee Chief of Police on the subject. Sounds like there might possibly be some interest in doing something about it but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    https://local.nixle.com/alert/7039538/

Solo today so backed off a line cuz of slick under shallow pow. Stout crust below 7.5/8k but great snow on north above. Couldn’t get movement w compression but found the clean shears on multiple facet layers

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	264200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	264201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2174.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	264202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	264204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	264205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2195.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	264206

I can confirm crusty below 8k around trimmer today. Coverage was worst in the lower elevations than last Saturday.

Name:	20190112_144358.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	264401

4th of July lake and deadwood peak in the background

Squaw skied great on north facing today. South facing has coral reef and death cookies but doable. Basically, CII > Sun Bowl.

I have stopped skiing Alpine because it’s consistently horrible. How are they right next to Squaw but have only one-tenth the snow???

Also, Squaw is at least a half hour closer to truckee when you leave at 4 and the trip takes two hours.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Also, Squaw is at least a half hour closer to truckee when you leave at 4 and the trip takes two hours.
    Ouch. I wonder how bad the 89 traffic will be next weekend. Will blackout dates help or will the snow this week still crate an epic shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Somebody got something to pop today on castle.
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...de-castle-peak
    pretty sure it's this same cornice
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

My plan is to get to Squaw and Thursday and not get back into my car until Monday...

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg 
Views:	851 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	264473
    Chalky glory with natural optical effects from ice clouds and the daytime star.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    My plan is to get to Squaw and Thursday and not get back into my car until Monday...
    I think it's a PTO/sick day Friday for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by deciblast View Post
    I think it's a PTO/sick day Friday for sure.
    If the forecast holds friday=shitshow.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by HobieTony View Post
    Mehhh, don't worry about early. If this storm holds true to forecast then time of day won't matter much, except that more things are going to be closed in the mornings. You're going to have fun skiing whatever, probably lots of KT and Summit.