Page 19 of 175 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    makes perfect sense. what's the cost to run a parking lot vs several lifts? lifts are stupid once you get to them you've already paid and customers riding lifts are really just shitting on the shareholders anyway. once you enter the valley you are already a source of fixed income (ticket/pass) so their only goal after that is incremental income. They don't care how they get it but if they can use climate change to their advantage they sure will. How does it help climate change if folks from Truckee have to drive past Squaw to the Tahoe City transit center to get on a bus or in a carpool. Without significant investment in Truckee for a parknride this is nothing but greenwashing a price increase that has the potential to harm the planet.
    Wait, so you're saying Alterra doesn't care about me? Oh, then yeah this makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Robojerry; 11-19-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    Wait, so you're saying Alterra doesn't care about me? Oh, then yeah this makes perfect sense.
    The jury is still out. Is the phenomena just a Squaw thing (because this is the direction they have been heading for a while) or is this the direct result of the ownership change which means it should translate to other resorts as well.
    In other words, Squaw definitely doesn't care. Maybe you can get the ear of alterra??
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

This is right in line with KSL but who cares? Damn, I’d love to drive to downtown Truckee, park my car and hop on a bus. Having a pickup up in TD would be ideal but whatever. This shit seems to work just fine in Breck FWIW.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is right in line with KSL but who cares? Damn, I’d love to drive to downtown Truckee, park my car and hop on a bus. Having a pickup up in TD would be ideal but whatever. This shit seems to work just fine in Breck FWIW.
    From the Deathstar's website:

PARK & RIDE
    In order to combat congestion on highway 89 during peak winter visitation periods, the Truckee North Tahoe Transportation Management Association has, in collaboration with Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows and Placer County, adopted a pilot program for park and ride services during the 2018-2019 winter season. This program will be put in place on holidays and weekends December - March.*

Truckee Park and Ride

The Truckee Park and Ride parking lot will be located at the Truckee Tahoe Unified School District Administrative Offices off of Donner Pass Road. Tahoe Area Regional Transit (TART) buses will offer Squaw Valley |
    Alpine Meadows - specific service every 20 minutes in the park and ride lots from 7am to 6pm. This service will be free.

*Planned dates for the Truckee Park & Ride to Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows are: December 28-30, January 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-27, February 2-3, 9-10, 16-18, 23-24, and March 2-3, 9-10.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Running Of The Bullies Ala Squaw Valley Style?

So after several incidents at Alpine Meadows with the Running Of The Bullies from the Breezeway to Summit Chair...it was time to start a bigger and better Running Of The Bullies at Squaw Valley, since everything is bigger and better at Squaw.

The new policy will be that the "preferred guests" will get preferred access to KT on a pow day with their closer parking. The rest of you will have to park out at Far East, wait for a rope drop and then stampede in your ski boots and dragging equipment to get to the KT Line.

Of course, with a billion new Ikon passes sold, the KT line might extend all of the way out to the Far East free lot...
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    LOL... I recall Thanksgiving skiing being unusual, but the memory is going.
    I have distant memories of skiing Homewood either the week prior or the week after Thanksgiving. My folks used to take me out of school either that week before or the week after so as to miss the crowds. They'd get my teachers to load them up with homework and we'd lease a house on the West Shore. I'd do homework every night before dinner and then get to ski the next day.
    I again recall this being a pretty "normal" experience in my family for years. My aunt and uncle would join in with my cousins, too.
    I remember that we tried our best to avoid the regular holiday weeks and weekends as much as possible.
    This was back in the mid-'70s.

I also remember when being able to ski from Thanksgiving until July 4th was "the norm"...(and I don't mean closing in April and re-opening on the 4th, either!).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    From the Deathstar's website:

PARK & RIDE
    In order to combat congestion on highway 89 during peak winter visitation periods, the Truckee North Tahoe Transportation Management Association has, in collaboration with Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows and Placer County, adopted a pilot program for park and ride services during the 2018-2019 winter season. This program will be put in place on holidays and weekends December - March.*

Truckee Park and Ride

The Truckee Park and Ride parking lot will be located at the Truckee Tahoe Unified School District Administrative Offices off of Donner Pass Road. Tahoe Area Regional Transit (TART) buses will offer Squaw Valley |
    Alpine Meadows - specific service every 20 minutes in the park and ride lots from 7am to 6pm. This service will be free.

*Planned dates for the Truckee Park & Ride to Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows are: December 28-30, January 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-27, February 2-3, 9-10, 16-18, 23-24, and March 2-3, 9-10.
    Interesting. Most likely though the roads will be just as crowded and the buses will of course be stuck in the same traffic. Now if they made a bus lane from Truckee to Squaw it would make sense and there's plenty of room to do it. (Didn't they try to create 2 SB car lanes on 89 last year or am I hallucinating. )

I suspect a big part of the parking thing is so they can point to their "environmentalism" in court in defending against Sierra Watch's suit. It will all go away if and when they win the last appeal, except for the paid parking part--that will apply to everyone, carpool or not.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I suspect a big part of the parking thing is so they can point to their "environmentalism" in court in defending against Sierra Watch's suit. It will all go away if and when they win the last appeal, except for the paid parking part--that will apply to everyone, carpool or not.
    I doubt it but you'd really have to see the agreement as far as the "Truckee North Tahoe Transportation Management Association has, in collaboration with Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows and Placer County. "
    The one thing that I haven't seen complaints about yet is that this should also make it possible to get more people on the mountain at one time. yay

but that's why they would keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I have distant memories of skiing Homewood either the week prior or the week after Thanksgiving. My folks used to take me out of school either that week before or the week after so as to miss the crowds. They'd get my teachers to load them up with homework and we'd lease a house on the West Shore. I'd do homework every night before dinner and then get to ski the next day.
    I again recall this being a pretty "normal" experience in my family for years. My aunt and uncle would join in with my cousins, too.
    I remember that we tried our best to avoid the regular holiday weeks and weekends as much as possible.
    This was back in the mid-'70s.

I also remember when being able to ski from Thanksgiving until July 4th was "the norm"...(and I don't mean closing in April and re-opening on the 4th, either!).
    I too did a lot of homework at Homewood in the 70's.

Just moved to south lake frome vermont. Dont know anyone and looking for folks to ski kirk/heavenly with!

Quote Originally Posted by tnorts View Post
    Just moved to south lake frome vermont. Dont know anyone and looking for folks to ski kirk/heavenly with!
    Do you have any pics of your sis/gf/mom that would help to facilitate said request? No need to reply with clothed pics

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Do you have any pics of your sis/gf/mom that would help to facilitate said request? No need to reply with clothed pics
    You could also show us your quiver wink wink
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post

Well that's cool at least and a step in the right direction. If I do ever ski Squaw on a weekend without the family (or just my oldest) I'll probably give it a try. Hopefully it gets used and they can expand it in the future to more than just select weekend days.

Well that's cool at least and a step in the right direction. If I do ever ski Squaw on a weekend without the family (or just my oldest) I'll probably give it a try. Hopefully it gets used and they can expand it in the future to more than just select weekend days.
    Hopefully but I would like to see a better solution. Like others said, a bus lane would go a long way towards encouraging people to use the shuttle. I know that I would much rather sit for 2 hours on 89 in my SUV rather than an uncomfortable shuttle.

I really wonder how many IKON passes were sold to the Bay Area and Sacramento Area. I haven’t seen any official numbers but my guess is that it is a record number. If that is the case we shall see how Squaw and Alpine deal with the crowds. My gut feeling is that they will prioritize those who stay on the hill at the expense of others.

I’d be down to carpool with other mags coming down 89 from Truckee so that we can park in the POW lot (and help the environment).

I really hope this doesn’t ruin midweek. There is something nice about being able to get back to your car easily for drinks/lunch/dropping layers that can’t be replicated by parking miles away or even taking a shuttle

If they made the bus lane go up the middle of Squaw Valley Drive this would actually be a better alternative than driving and waiting in line. I'm sure that option has been thrown out there. With parking at savemart and safeway it is okay in theory but those lots being full from Squaw users will piss off the supermarkets

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Is it going to snow?

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Is it going to snow?
    According to BA it will snow but then most of the precipitation will come in the form of rain. Not good news for resorts and backcountry with lower bases.

On a positive note, the weather should keep the crowds down and traffic reasonable. Low snow levels are great for building ski bases but not good for Thanksgiving traffic.

Check out the new P.O.W. / Greenwashing parking at Squaw this season...
    P.O.W. == "Person Of Wealth"?

Rose wrod, and smokey skies to the north
    Name:  20181120_121239.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  102.4 KB

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by reidc View Post
    P.O.W. == "Person Of Wealth"?
    I like that. Expect the future of skiing to monetize the access to powder especially in Tahoe where there is a large amount of wealthy people and powder days become more scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Is it going to snow?
    It's gonna dump

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Hay, anyone know if KW is open Wednesday?.
    Yes.
    No.
    Saturday, allegedly

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

opens saturday, or some time after saturday
    The start of the ski season is finally at Kirkwood Mountain Resort’s doorstep! If Mother Nature stays on course the Resort will now open on Saturday, November 24, rather than the Mountain’s originally scheduled opening day of Wednesday, November 21.

Thanks. Where did you find this? Would have loved to have known for sure earlier. I packed too many pairs of ski socks.