Page 28 of 175 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Going back down to the Bay Area for xmas and my old man wants to ski a few days while i am back. He has an epic local pass to kirkwood so he would use that Sun/Mon (23/24), and i would bum his buddy tickets those days. But apparently he is blacked out on Saturday (22nd)? Any ideas on how to get discounted tickets somewhere? Right now we are thinking about REI tickets to Sierra ($87), but even those are more expensive than the WA ski area day tickets im used to. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I skied kirkwood for 40+days/year for a few years before moving up to WA 4 years ago, so im excited to get back and ski the old stomping/beatering grounds.

On a related note, i do have a mtn collective pass but already have a weekend trip planned later in the winter to visit the GFs friends in Truckee. I assume Squaw is not considered separate from Alpine?

Sunday

Soundtrack:

- Me and Mildbill ripped the shit out of everything that begged to get the shit ripped out off. Mini golf in full effect. Skiied pow every fucking lap between 9 and 3, except one (That would be Ooops)
    - Some chick got heli-evaced.
    - Anything off 10 is sharky as fuck
    - The Pain Train is operational on all High Ts.... WOOT WOOT! Beat it Kooks.

You'll get one photo and like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill-KW-20181202.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	258306  

That looks like it sucked. Glad I stayed at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    That looks like it sucked. Glad I stayed at home.
    Yup, I had to break trail multiple times, 0/10 would not recommend.

TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Still plenty of California cold smoke to be had out there. Nothing like taking some knee deep turns before work. Lots of widespread surface hoar out there on the exposed north and west aspects I traveled on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1543873182.250100.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	258327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1543873235.845402.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	258328

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by B.Gillis; 12-03-2018 at 07:09 PM.

was talking about that last night. this cycle has the potential to set up something weak for later down the road
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Going back down to the Bay Area for xmas and my old man wants to ski a few days while i am back. He has an epic local pass to kirkwood so he would use that Sun/Mon (23/24), and i would bum his buddy tickets those days. But apparently he is blacked out on Saturday (22nd)? Any ideas on how to get discounted tickets somewhere? Right now we are thinking about REI tickets to Sierra ($87), but even those are more expensive than the WA ski area day tickets im used to. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I skied kirkwood for 40+days/year for a few years before moving up to WA 4 years ago, so im excited to get back and ski the old stomping/beatering grounds.

On a related note, i do have a mtn collective pass but already have a weekend trip planned later in the winter to visit the GFs friends in Truckee. I assume Squaw is not considered separate from Alpine?
    If your old man has an Epic Local Tahoe then it should be good on Dec. 22nd. The blackout dates for XMAS are Dec. 26 - Dec. 31st. Are you sure it's an Epic Local? Maybe he has an Epic Value, which blacks out Saturdays at Northstar and Kirkwood.

In either case, it looks like you can still buy half price tickets for the blacked out dates. See the following for more info: https://www.epicpass.com/passes/tahoe-value-pass.aspx

Sports basement has discounted tix but not sure if they carry KIrkwood. You could always try skiing Heavenly as that's not subject to the Saturday blackout.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

You early risers amaze me. I finally dragged myself out to Stevens at 1300 for 3 laps. It was worth it.Name:  15438902665640.jpeg
Views: 1061
Size:  45.5 KB

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    If your old man has an Epic Local Tahoe then it should be good on Dec. 22nd. The blackout dates for XMAS are Dec. 26 - Dec. 31st. Are you sure it's an Epic Local? Maybe he has an Epic Value, which blacks out Saturdays at Northstar and Kirkwood.

In either case, it looks like you can still buy half price tickets for the blacked out dates. See the following for more info: https://www.epicpass.com/passes/tahoe-value-pass.aspx

Sports basement has discounted tix but not sure if they carry KIrkwood. You could always try skiing Heavenly as that's not subject to the Saturday blackout.
    Sounds like he has an epic value pass. I shoulda just looked into it myself instead of trusting him haha. Thanks for the advice!

i picked a bad week to head to the east coast to visit the fam, looking forward to a pre work tour on Wednesday!
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    was talking about that last night. this cycle has the potential to set up something weak for later down the road
    Looks like it's going to grow even bigger tonight before this next weak system comes through and gently buries it...
    Last edited by Robojerry; 12-04-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    Looks like it's going to grow even bigger tonight before this next week system comes through and gently buries it...
    exactly. we'll be featuring a continental pack for a while it seems

You know this space is getting hot!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	873.6 KB 
ID:	258416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	928.7 KB 
ID:	258417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	258418

how was the exit?

Sounds like he has an epic value pass. I shoulda just looked into it myself instead of trusting him haha. Thanks for the advice!
    He can ski the Heave that day. Why not join him there?

Btw, the buddy tix will still set you back $60 or so.

how was the exit?
    We were right behind you Gimpy. Exit was no problem powdork.

Haven't put much effort into this in a while, but check out the new blog post. Mammoth was good over the weekend!

https://www.nvbackcountry.com/single...enerconditions

Hoping to get some NV location guides rolling soon. For now...enjoy the hoar and be safe everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    He can ski the Heave that day. Why not join him there?

Btw, the buddy tix will still set you back $60 or so.
    Haha like i said, i should have just looked into it myself. He can be a stickler for routine, and weekday Kirkwood is his routine, god forbid he vary much. I think Heavenly is looking like a winner on that Saturday. Thanks to the board for setting me straight!

Heavenly Buddy pass is $101/day and Ski With A Friend is $106 from 12/14-20 at Heavenly and could be even higher after 12/20.

Stagecoach base is supposed to open on Thurs 12/6 with free food on FRIDAY from 3-4 PM (and a band from 2-4). Not sure when I go back, but I had five good days with new snow every day at Kirkwood ending on Sunday. My son joined me for the weekend and I took some good shots of him when we caught opening of Eagle Bowl. Following is the one I liked the most. It was very difficult to get into the Wall left or right at top of the chair without hitting and jumping over and off rocks as road was not yet in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2069SeanCloud.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	258610
    Last edited by tseeb; 12-05-2018 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by tseeb View Post
    Heavenly Buddy pass is $101/day and Ski With A Friend is $106 from 12/14-20 at Heavenly and could be even higher after 12/20.
    Man Heavenly is a shitty friend and buddy considering that a weekend ticket is basically $116

^i think the point of the buddy ticket is to be as shitty a deal as possible and still beat the advance rate. FWIW it's $132 at the window this weekend.

and the truth of the matter is that if the cost of a buddy ticket is important to you, vail gives zero fucks about you. their starting target clientele brings in well over 130k/year.

Haha like i said, i should have just looked into it myself. He can be a stickler for routine, and weekday Kirkwood is his routine, god forbid he vary much. I think Heavenly is looking like a winner on that Saturday. Thanks to the board for setting me straight!
    I can toss you a voucher for 50% off the window price if you’re interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Mammoth was good over the weekend!
    Agreed! Skied it Thurs-Monday. Checked out your web page, nice work.

^i think the point of the buddy ticket is to be as shitty a deal as possible and still beat the advance rate. FWIW it's $132 at the window this weekend.

and the truth of the matter is that if the cost of a buddy ticket is important to you, vail gives zero fucks about you. their starting target clientele brings in well over 130k/year.
    I just think it's kinda absurd that a lot of day ticket prices in Tahoe make Telluride (talk about an expensive place) day ticket prices look like a deal. And if you're an advanced skier Telluride as a hill beats the snot out of any Tahoe Vail property. Yeah Kirkwood has some of the same level of terrain, but not as many and way bigger crowds.

It’s totally fucking absurd. Vail is killing skiing in Tahoe for the casual user. Their model is to sell a shit ton of semi cheap passes, make day tickets too expensive except for the very rich, and shut down the sport before Easter under the pretext that no one is buying absurdly expensive day tickets.

I add semi in there, as pass prices have gone up for those of us too poor to travel and only really want or need on mountain to ski at for an entire season. KW passes are up over 50% since the purchase.

I can no longer convince middle income friends to give skiing a try. It is too expensive to take a family up. Even techie and lawyer friends ball at the price of a single weekend to try it out. I now suggest the hit up Donner, Diamond Peak, Bear Valley or Dodge Ridge, and then join us once they are into skiing.

It’s too bad. I got back into skiing after heading to Bear Valley for a weekend birthday party. It took me three years to get the hook in, but it did. I know that was 15 plus years ago, but it wasn’t so expensive that I couldn’t go. Can’t imagine being a line cook now, and trying to go to Tahoe for one weekend of skiing. It’s fucking cheaper to fly somewhere and ski there.

Thank god we still have Rose, Sierra and Sugarbowl. Kirkwood and Alpine have been claimed. Who’s next?