Page 51 of 175 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 4354
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Mehhh, don't worry about early. If this storm holds true to forecast then time of day won't matter much, except that more things are going to be closed in the mornings. You're going to have fun skiing whatever, probably lots of KT and Summit.
    Red Dog is not be underestimated, especially if the top is closed and everybody seems to be on KT. You can churn out a good number of laps in some fun trees.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Somebody got something to pop today on castle.
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...de-castle-peak
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    pretty sure it's this same cornice
    look like the same gullies to me. of course, the cornice is not really the "same" :P

Mehhh, don't worry about early. If this storm holds true to forecast then time of day won't matter much, except that more things are going to be closed in the mornings. You're going to have fun skiing whatever, probably lots of KT and Summit.
    On a storm day sometimes the best skiing is in the afternoon, after all the people who came out for a few runs are gone, everyone else is tired, cold and wet, the mountain keeps refilling and the lines are gone. Sometimes everything is closed. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Attachment 264401

4th of July lake and deadwood peak in the background
    Thanks. That is just the shot I need. Lil AK looks primed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On a storm day sometimes the best skiing is in the afternoon, after all the people who came out for a few runs are gone, everyone else is tired, cold and wet, the mountain keeps refilling and the lines are gone. Sometimes everything is closed. You never know.
    And sometimes you buy into the hype and take a trip to Tahoe and watch it dump a few feet while your there, only to get a single day of standing in the longest KT liftline ever and manage to get three laps skiing the top four inches of "snow" before you say fuck it and call it quits at 2 o'clock because it's all tracked out and somehow the line is still getting longer and drinking beer sounds better than staying any longer and enduring the inevitable three hour ride to your friends place that will surely happen if you stay for one more run.
    Could go either way, really.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    And sometimes you buy into the hype and take a trip to Tahoe and watch it dump a few feet while your there, only to get a single day of standing in the longest KT liftline ever and manage to get three laps skiing the top four inches of "snow" before you say fuck it and call it quits at 2 o'clock because it's all tracked out and somehow the line is still getting longer and drinking beer sounds better than staying any longer and enduring the inevitable three hour ride to your friends place that will surely happen if you stay for one more run.
    Yup. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but nobody ever skied powder in their living room.*

*well, almost never

Long time listener, first time caller.

Flying into Reno on Friday. Skiing on the Mountain Collective Saturday to Monday. Should I avoid chaos and ski Sugarbowl with a day pass on Saturday, then do Sunday and Monday at Squaw/Alpine, or will the extra infrastructure be worth it and do all three days at Squaw? Is Mt. Rose worth dodging crowds? I'm into smaller areas. Anything else worth trying? I'm staying in Truckee.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    Attachment 264473
    Chalky glory with natural optical effects from ice clouds and the daytime star.
    WOW.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by m88f51 View Post

Flying into Reno on Friday. Skiing on the Mountain Collective Saturday to Monday. Should I avoid chaos and ski Sugarbowl with a day pass on Saturday, then do Sunday and Monday at Squaw/Alpine, or will the extra infrastructure be worth it and do all three days at Squaw? Is Mt. Rose worth dodging crowds? I'm into smaller areas. Anything else worth trying? I'm staying in Truckee.
    Saturday will be a zoo everywhere but Alpine and Squaw do a pretty good job of spreading out the crowds... But Sugar Bowl or Homewood on Saturday might be a good call to avoid crowds and to maybe sneak some powder runs later in the day. You really can't lose on whatever decision you make. Whatever you do, get out to wherever you're going early (7am).
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

If you are really into smaller areas check out Donner Ski Ranch. Family owned. Across the street from Sugar Bowl.

West Shore still holding good snow for top 2/3s of the lap

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Rose is good. Maybe do that Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    look like the same gullies to me. of course, the cornice is not really the "same" :P
    I know i just wanted to hear the guy say " Both sides Dude everything is going!" again. The commentary is classic.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I know i just wanted to hear the guy say " Both sides Dude everything is going!" again. The commentary is classic.
    Yep. My 8 year olds really enjoyed the vid this afternoon

What is up with the TGR app? Sux!
    ...Anyway.
    Cinders and me bumped into the *Mighty Raccoon Face* at Rose on Sunday.
    He lives in Reno now, and has spent a coupla years over in China. Doesn't get after it much.
    He was on BD skis. Rocking the full bc look.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Is IKON blacked out on Saturday? Does that mellow the crowd at Squaw at all? Sure does at Kirkwood. At least the one after Christmas does. Ski right on to the lift the last several years. Although holding lifts on Friday to open Saturday might sell tickets up there.

Rose is a great option. So is Sugarbowl. Donner SR is fine, but lacks any sustained steeps.

Might be part of the shit show Friday if things go as planned. Only bummer is I’m light not be able to join it until noon.

Ikon Base Pass blacked out 1/19-1/20. It significantly improves the Squaw/Alpine experience if the Christmas holiday is an accurate indicator. Squaw was more crowded 1/2-1/5 than it was during the holiday blackout period. Storm inbound plus a blackout weekend should make for some great skiing this week.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Ahhhh I hate those days when KT line is the longest at 4:00, singles lane basically going to the top of exhibition. And then they just shut off the gates at 4 sharp, leaving everyone behind them pissed off and stampeding each other...like couldn't they put up a sign at the end of the line and then just run to 4:05 if they miscalculate?

But its all good, because the line to leave the valley will be twice as long

You probably won't be able to dodge crowds at Mt Rose. Its actually a pretty good mountain, and the Reno crew knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    What is up with the TGR app? Sux!
    ...Anyway.
    Cinders and me bumped into the *Mighty Raccoon Face* at Rose on Sunday.
    He lives in Reno now, and has spent a coupla years over in China. Doesn't get after it much.
    He was on BD skis. Rocking the full bc look.

Did you ask him to get off his ass and start a decent Tahoe thread?

You probably won't be able to dodge crowds at Mt Rose. Its actually a pretty good mountain, and the Reno crew knows it.
    Great mountain if the Chutes are open. Are they/will they be? Anyway, I'll deal with the weekend shitshow at SVAM, or stay home. Fri might be worse than Sat. Or not.

Looking for backcountry partners this week. I can do North Lake or South. PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Great mountain if the Chutes are open. Are they/will they be? Anyway, I'll deal with the weekend shitshow at SVAM, or stay home. Fri might be worse than Sat. Or not.
    Rose sux, Chutes are closed

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    Rose sux, Chutes are closed
    Well...just noticed Rose site says "select chute gates open", and Rose Hwy has chain controls right now, so...

It is snowing down here in CC.
    May go up this arvo, or manana.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Snowing a lot harder at Donner Lake than predicted for today, pretty fluffy. There was at least 6 inches at Sugar Bowl when I left at 1230. Tomorrow morning should be good before the winds pick up and the snow turns to rain.