Page 93 of 175 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 4354
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Attention! Attention! California does have avalanches. [/PSA]

I don’t think there’s much to see inside the snowpack. Most of our avy problems are in the recent snow and you find those weaknesses only with proper timing because things settle so quickly (in general and relative to Rockies). More to learn digging in continental pack. For the first time avy class, mostly learning how to spot avy danger, how to avoid it and what to do if shit goes sideways, anywhere is good. I really like going out to a ridge line, when we have fresh snow and winds lingering after the storm, then stomping on the top of the fresh slabs to see where and how they fracture. Even that can be frustrating sometimes in Cali because they just won’t fucking slide.
    I agree. Our snowpack is pretty boring for buried weak layers and they usually don’t last more than a few weeks (thankfully). Continental snowpacks can harbor multiple weak layers for over a month or even longer and will make pit tests much more interesting.

Avalanches are definitely an issue in Tahoe but it’s not nearly as bad other places. Even during SAC high ratings, if you know where to go you can still find safe terrain and not having to worry about buried weak layers means that you are our avalanche problems are much more “visible” and usually give you plenty of warning.

Ok. So for Level 2, maybe travel. For level 1 ltcc. And get out there and practice good decision making.

On another note, KW was superb again today. Split off from the family for two solo laps and jumped off big shit. Skied two double diamonds with my kid, and he was stoked to be out on them. Skied the deep pow in One Man Chute like a champ. We were the 5-7 in, and maybe the 10-12 out. He got hoots from everyone passing. Fun watching him get after it. After three days of pow, his legs are beat.

Lots of fresh tracks were had today at KW

Got Thursday Friday Saturday off this week and can get a cheap ticket to Reno. Never been to Tahoe but have days on my pass at Squaw Alpine and Mammoth. Will the storm on Wednesday close everything down? Buddy in Mammoth says ll the runs will be closed. Or is it worth it to come out? Leaning towards Squaw. Blackout dates on Saturday so thought about doing Alpine One day, Squaw the other, and trying for a backcountry day Saturday. Otherwise I was thinking about heading back up to Alta or JH.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Sun is cooking the slide side.
    How badly did it get cooked? There was a small sun crust on the south facing stuff in my yard at 6500 but I was hoping it would hold better in the higher elevations

Was on the bus in Jackson couple years ago in front of guy claiming CA didn't have avalanches...

Just don't be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Um, basically all of Grizzly Bowl slid. Check out Mikes post in the Central Cal thread. No reason to be complacent.
    We beat the shit out of the snow today, mostly making big holes in the snow, but also producing two very large avalanches. We’re going back for more tomorrow.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Alpine today

Alpine was good today. Went to Sherwood first thing to avoid lines and that worked out well. Eventually the sun got to it and moved back to shady lines on front side. Left at noon.
    Place was packed for week day. I heard of long drive from Truckee in am.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    How badly did it get cooked? There was a small sun crust on the south facing stuff in my yard at 6500 but I was hoping it would hold better in the higher elevations
    Off-piste was getting heavy by 10:30/ 11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by pureshred View Post
    Lots of fresh tracks were had today at KW
    Deeeamn! Looking good. Heading to Kirkwood Saturday/Sunday as Mammoth Ikon pass is blacked out. Epic Pass FTW this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Reno or Carson mags - can anyone hook me up with a ski bag?

My work is paying me to go to Anchorage first week of march, and I am turning that into a ski and (hopefully) heli trip. Haven't flown to ski in 5+ years, and I don't own a ski bag. Anyone got one they're not using for two weeks - last week of Feb first week of March? Will compensate w beer, beer money, laps on skis
    I've got a bag. PM'd you.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Attachment 269254Attachment 269255Attachment 269256Attachment 269257Attachment 269258Attachment 269259
    Only lap I pulled phone out
    West winds got to upper exposed
    Word is out

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Good shit Gimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I lasted about 5 runs at Rose. My legs are cooked. Pow’s all tracked anyway

They were bombing chutes when I left so hopefully you all lucky SOBs get some. If not, I’m lining up there tomorrow.
    Yeah, the Chutes opened around 2 pm.
    Not *that many* peeps around in there. Only a bit of a line at Chuter one time.
    I have jacked my armpit/ribs a bit, so we only hit the mellower low gates on Main side.
    Outside of the Chutes, stuff was *very* cut up.
    Skiing down to gate each time was a real drag.

Obligatary VapeBreak photo from mainside

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Sierra didn’t suck.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1818.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	269311

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

The Reno NWS AFD this morning is interesting, to say the least.

The past two weeks of Colorado-like snow in Tahoe-like amounts has been incredible. Guess we were due for a high snow level event.

The precip keeps increasing with these storms the closer they get. Warmer temps aside, latest runs are now showing a foot tonight, 1.5-2 more feet on Wednesday and another foot on Thursday. Might be wet and heavy down low but should be good at higher elevations. It's probably a good thing all of that blower from the past week got heavier by yesterday afternoon with this coming in on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    The Reno NWS AFD this morning is interesting, to say the least.

The past two weeks of Colorado-like snow in Tahoe-like amounts has been incredible. Guess we were due for a high snow level event.
    Yes, these storms have been a true treat. I would like more low elevation snow but I will take some higher snow levels after these storms in exchange for no PWLs

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It’s also okay to take Rec Level 1 multiple times. Especially if it’s been a while since you last/first did yours ... Recent years have focused on problem ID and emphasis on good decision making - how to be a good teammate and how to manage uncertainty. I would recommend doing a class when you can, even if the snow is “boring.” You can always take it again on another trip or at a time of year when the pack is more sketchy. Or ask an instructor you know if you can help volunteer during a future Level 1 during early season - liability issues notwithstanding (you’d probably need to sign waivers and get approval etc) it can be helpful to schlep gear, pass out handouts, help moderate role plays and help with field scenarios as a non-instructor.

LTCC books out early and also isn’t that inexpensive if you aren’t a CA resident. If you can do North Shore, check with Alpenglow Expeditions, ASI, Sierra Nevada College and Outdoor Adventure Club for certified instructors. Check with MAS and SWI as well if you can get to Bear or Shasta. I’m sure there are other options I can’t remember - it’s been a while since I’ve kept up with who is teaching what and at what price.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^^^Good points, especially about decision making and group dynamics. I like the idea of retaking Avy 1 or volunteering. Also, reading an Avy book like Temper’s “Surviving in Avalanche terrain” can provide a good refresher.

Pits are overrated anyway. At least from an Avy 1 level perspective, if that makes sense. All of the other stuff (route finding, recognizing warning signs, how to really use your beacon efficiently, etc.) is a lot more important IMO. Having said that, when I took my course we were "lucky" enough to have a buried PWL and that made pit results a lot more interesting / educational.

Great points, Schralph

J, I think being able to do field work in shitty snow is more about being able to see NCF and other facet forms firsthand, rather than on a slideshow. I’m being semantic, but I think the opportunity to engage shit snow in a classroom setting isn’t necessarily entirely 100% about making a “pit” for the sake of doing “tests” - I’d say there is a lot of value in being able to see how layers interact and having an ITC trained instructor show you first hand how to ID/confirm various grain forms and talk about how they interact in real life. Being able to stomp, whack or shear a sudden collapse failure after seeing facet grains in your hand is a good learning experience IMO. Especially if they are bridged by a stout rounded slab, as often we see in PS problems in Tahoe when everyone goes or skiing with “no signs of instability” while there is shit structure underneath.

I went skiing with a friend a few years back who had done Level 1, been touring Tahoe in midwinter conditions for years, and finally was over the embarrassment of asking me, “so what are facets really and how do I know where they are?” This person heard about them in all the scary avy bulletins, had been through the training class, but never got the chance to engage them firsthand and see for themselves why they can be problematic on ski terrain.

Continuous education FTW. We can always be improving our decision making skills.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Here is an (extreme) analogy - learning how to use Windows operating system in Africa!

https://qz.com/africa/1217879/a-ghan...sensation/amp/

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

"We can always be improving our decision making skills. "

- Such as "Why am I sitting at my desk and not skiing today?"

Nice to see Schralph even if he is just gracing our pages. Miss him and his stoke.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Yeah, the Chutes opened around 2 pm.
    Not *that many* peeps around in there. Only a bit of a line at Chuter one time.
    I have jacked my armpit/ribs a bit, so we only hit the mellower low gates on Main side.
    Outside of the Chutes, stuff was *very* cut up.
    Skiing down to gate each time was a real drag.

Obligatary VapeBreak photo from mainside

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Yep, I was there. No need to rush up early as Rose was on it's usual "casual" pace opening the Chutes. I got there at noon, and sure enough at the crack of 2:00 pm the chutes opened. Seems like alot of people wore themselves out in the morning as it wasn't that crowded and I lapped it til the end of the day. Depending on where you came in there was definitely some wind effect on the snow up high, but lower down and into the trees was primo.