Page 6 of 175 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Mike B-
    I'll see Vito tomorrow am, will ask and get back, if it's official.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Copy that
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Someone have a listing of the bay area ski movies/events coming up?

it'd be handy, as I already see that I missed All In (Oct 8th). I'm gonna hit up Far Out... the early show with the fam.

Oct 10 - Far Out (TGR) - Palace of Fine Arts - SF
    Oct 11 - Far Out (TGR) - Delancey St. Screening Room - SF
    Oct 12 - Far Out (TGR) - UC Theatre - Berkeley
    Oct 30 - Ode to Muir (TGR) - Palace of Fine Arts - SF (also in Tahoe City Oct 26 & 27)
    Nov 10 - UC Theatre - Hoji - Berkeley

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    TJ- several of those "protesting" the project- even in Sierra Meadows- are current or retired career fire and forestry employees. If you read the original USFS document and then walked the area on the ground, the two did not line up. The majority of the "anti-project" letters referenced the urban interface areas bordering the Ponderosa Palisades, Ranchos, and Lahontan subdivisions. The document is being modified and is still under review by the TNF. Not many letters about logging trucks.
    You're right- the areas along the 06 road are a model of best forest practices- since the late 70's the area between the 2 FS gates has been: thinned by FS personnel x2, logged commercially x2, fuels modification by mastication x1, prescribed fire post thinning/logging x2. That is a healthy swatch of forest and hopefully won't be messed with further.
    You're obviously pretty dialed in with this. Sounds like the target area(s) of the thinning is the main point of the debate? It's really easy for people to jump to NIMBY conclusions even if the people protesting have more educated / specific issues with a particular proposal.

The smoke NIMBY thing seems kind of funny since outside fires have been smoking up the air in Truckee / Tahoe for weeks at a time the last few summers.

On the TD note, one aspect of them working to acquire and preserve nearby land (like Carpenter Valley) is that they'd then have the ability to install firebreaks and control that land from a fire safety perspective. Putting in new trails is a nice perk, of course, but I thought that was interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thanks

Never considered looking at insurance journal before

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    He probably read it in his doctor's office.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    time to put down the popcorn and find an Octoberfest- or maybe just some "fake news". Talking points-

og- "time for the town and FD to get serious..."- as of Sept. almost 2000 homeowner inspections were done by 4 inspectors (2 from FD and 2 Cal-fire) plus engine companys. Around 36% were non-compliant and required re-inspection. Lack of action set off a chain of letter>certified letter>notification of fine>fine. There has been at least one instance of the town contracting for mitigation of an especially hazardous property and attaching the cost to the owners tax bill. You can notify the FD if you feel there is a high hazard near your property. It happens every day.
    Our nieghborhood was inspected 2 years ago and at that time the inspector told us they weren't inspecting ;undeveloped lot. At a recent Town Council meeting a FD rep said they would. Many of the lots in our neighborhood that were inspected were clearly never brought up to code and many others have reverted. If things have gotten stricter since then that's great. 4 inspectors isn't enough--ideally every property is checked every year. Paying for that through a higher assessment would be well worth it--a lot cheaper than trying to rebuild. Another problem is lack of people to do major defensible space work that is too much for homeowners to handle. The great majority of owners in our area are not young; what young person can afford to own a house in Truckee.

Great post, thank you.

Mike B-
    Winter Symposium is still at the Hyatt, Incline- there is a "save the date" email going out soon, if not already.
    Multiple topics this year rather than a central theme, still getting details nailed down. Backcountry stuff with Howard Donner could be expected, maybe some multi-casualty/hot scene topics after the last year. That's all I know at this point.

TJ- you're so correct on the smoke issues, there is so much prevention/smoke concern when you can't see Mt Rose from town. The same individuals don't want to talk prescribed fire in the middle of winter. It's a never ending loop.

og- four inspectors is the best it's ever been. You're right that it comes down to funding, it's hard to get data and quantify on fires that didn't happen. For years the district was covered by a single very well qualified seasonal employee, and he was still cranking out around 1k inspections a summer. Grant money only goes so far. Good luck with your vacant lots- I can sympathize, in a similar situation.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

Isn't this the first thing they teach you about living in Tahoe?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

There is a state program (FAIR) to provide fire insurance for people who can't get it commercially. Only covers fire, none of the other stuff homeowner's insurance covers. I hope never to find out what it costs.
    FAIR combined w a second policy for "other stuff" was a better deal for us than the insurance quotes supplied to us by our broker.

Maybe we can rename this the Tahoe Ins thread since it's an abominable jinx thread and an desecration of every previous years Tahoe threads. It should die and be replaced by a real 18/19 thread when actual snow is landing in Tahoe.

Top of the peaks got dusted last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Hey gang, my Pops passed away earlier this year. He had a copy of Squallywood 2nd Edition (that I had given to him), it's in near new condition. I also have a copy, so just seeing if anybody here wants it for the price of shipping?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Likely hitting the free showing of “Ode to Muir” at the student union at UNR tomorrow. I’ll be with a “almost 7”-year old shredder. I’ll be wearing a green JLB t shirt. Change for a nickel me if you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Likely hitting the free showing of “Ode to Muir” at the student union at UNR tomorrow...
    It's on Saturday evening, according to email. Yes we will prolly head over.
    Saw they had been blowing snow on a few trails at MtRoseSkiTahoe yesterday.
    And a dusting on top of MtRose properClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20181010_174140_42.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	250535.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Oh dang. You’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks wolfy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

i went for a walk today to check out a pile of choss down the old lincoln highway above glenbrook pretty much across and slightly uphill of shakespeare rock.
    1. it is a chosspile, some ok bouldering nearby
    2. they are aggressively working the canyon, cutting the trees below the road and pulling them up with a slightly ghetto totally functional plumbing snake/drilling platform combo. or maybe a well anchored electric rod and reel combo for trees.
    3. the area above the old road, where a controlled/prescribed burn went out of control several years ago i found i think the most natural conditions of any forest i've seen around here
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1673.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	797.0 KB 
ID:	250766

Dusting above Star Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1673.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	797.0 KB 
ID:	250766

Dusting above Star Lake.
    Boo ya. Bring on winter.

Mt.Rose is opening its wrod this weekend!

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post

I hope they do some sort social media post along the lines of... "Hey Boreal! How's about opening in October? "
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post

Wow, that make it second to open this season after Wolf Creek?

I’d happily spend way too much money to ski shitty wrod in October. Too bad it’s passholders only.

Dude. It is flat lands with a little manmade snow. You ain’t missing shit. Relax. Winter is still several months away. Get out and enjoy autumn man. It is great out there.

Insurance seekers, see if your broker can get a quote from Spinnaker, it’s a new Lloyd’s of London syndicate. They have been under cutting most rates.