Page 33 of 175 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I’ve got a pair of touring skis that are 98 under foot. It’s a wren 98 with the tour core/layup. Wondering if I should go 108 or 116 for the bigger touring setup. Looking at the moment wildcat tours in 108.
    I've toured on the Wren 98 and it skis well enough in powder that if you're going to compliment it with something wider, go 115+ IMO.

I think mid-100s is a versatile width for a one-ski quiver. The wildcat tour looks awesome for that. I use a (bmt) 94 for spring touring and 116 (gpo) for mid-winter. Since you have the wren 98 already maybe get something in the 110s that’s more pow-specific? When it does snow here it often comes down in feet at a time and heavy, so the width is nice.

I toured on the OG Wrens for years and found them great all conditions ski for winter touring. They were fine in spring. But heavy as fuck.

Have Kusala (124 reverse camber) for powder and Wailer 105 for spring. If I had the money to spend, I’d end up with something like your Wrens for spring. Stiffer and a bit narrower

As stated above, a 110-120 wide ski might be a good compliment to your 98s. It is nice having something that will really float for when it gets deep. Both for breaking trail and the downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    It appears that when the slab broke n he realized he was gonna get swept, he just fucking sent it.
    When I heard both femurs were driven though both hips it’s clear he landed Hard on both feet. Sending it was the only thing I could think of based on that and his final rescue location. Had not heard confirmation that is what happened though, absolutely incredible!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Healing vibes to the survivor. Way to send it to live another day

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I was not there so take this with a grain of salt but based on the video, sac report and info from someone else on the mountain at the time he was skiing the hanging snowfield had a slab break loose and was sent off the end of the hanger. Skiers typically exit skiers right down narrow chute into the central coolie to exit around where the dead tree is.

The area circled in green is the rock area below the hanger, I always figured no one would survive if they went off it.

Healing vibes going out, it’s gonna be a long tough road ahead.

The exit must be hidden. Thanks powdork for explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Yeah team!!!++++

It appears that when the slab broke n he realized he was gonna get swept, he just fucking sent it. Massive impact fucked both hips and some neck compression but minimal head trauma( yes he was wearing a helmet that got smashed). Gonna b wheelchair bound for awhile but blessed to b alive. If he hadn’t sent it, getting cheese gratered over 200’ of cliff probably wouldn’t have ended so well. Testament to dudes mtn skills. Most of us wouldn’t b alive after that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sweet Jesus. Couldn’t imagine realizing you’re going over that knowing you need to just send it to have any chance. Fuck me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lettuce_1 View Post
    Strong work on the rescue.
    No shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    When I heard both femurs were driven though both hips it’s clear he landed Hard on both feet. Sending it was the only thing I could think of based on that and his final rescue location. Had not heard confirmation that is what happened though, absolutely incredible!!!

Wholly fuck. Lucky to be alive. Man is his road to recovery going to be crazy long and difficult. Hope he can recover enough to be able to walk again and maybe even ski. Chilling.

I’ve got a pair of touring skis that are 98 under foot.
    You'll be fine on these. I have one pair of touring skis (106mm underfoot) that I use for everything from big east side couliors to shasta trips to low angle storm days on the west shore and I've had no major issues. Got a buddy that does the same on 85mm underfoot - it doesn't look pretty sometimes but he gets down just fine.

If you move out here and get after it enough that the 98's are seriously holding you back, then you'll know the answer as to what ski you should buy next. But in the meantime, carpenter not the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Burly fall for sure, can't imagine. Sounds like he's got a long road ahead of him but glad to hear he's alive and has (hopefully) recoverable injures. Nice work H20 and Squaw Valley fire getting him out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Dude i completely embarrassed myself lol. I went out hungover, and it was my first day with a helmet, didnt realize I would be drenched with sweat within 5 minutes and out of breath from being so hot. My boots are so tight, if I dont warm up and ease into buckling them down, my feet go number and I get this crazy pain from blood. So we got up to that run without me warming up a bit, and I couldnt even make any fine foot movements. My feet were just dead. You got out of sight, and when I got down to the bottom looking for you, my feet just started killing me, like blood was moving through tight veins or something. I had to take my boots off right there, and walk through all the slush and dirt and crap, back to my car, with just my socks on.. when I got back to my car for a new set of socks, my feet starting throbbing harder, yet numb and I couldnt move them, and they were going back and forth between numb and throbbing.

Probably my worst day on skis in 6 years. I literally went home, sold most of my quiver off, and signed up for 4 classes over the winter quarter haha.

Skier666 rips. I would have to be completely on point, in shape, and feeling good to even think about keeping up with him. And I’m 15 years younger with no kids. Next time I ski with you, I will step it up. I feel completely embarrassed lol.
    FWIW, if you're 15 years older than he is, he cuts you some slack...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Skier666, whens the next time youre coming up?

Holy shit, I hope they gave the survivor a separate wheelchair just for carrying his giant sendy balls.

I like gluttons.

I’ve always enjoyed skiing w 666. He and a few others (sometimes) on here fucking rip, but at the same time, positively push your boundaries just the right amount. Never got I over my head, but never just a cruiser lap.

Best wishes for a solid recovery. That shit is nuts. I’ve always had a hang up with hanging snow fields. They scare the fuck out of me. Several winters ago, I found myself skiing down one and missed my exit. Had to side step back up to get out. A few weeks later, I hit some ice in a choke, lost my edge and hit the corn sliding. I think I fell about 800’ very before self arresting. I got pretty banged up, but my mind returned to that hanging snowfield. Had a similar fall happened there, I’d likely be dead. Mountains are serious. I know I sometimes forget that when out playing and feeling the avalanche danger is low to non existent. Scary shit. Be careful out there folks.

Headed to KW this weekend with the kiddo to ride some lifts. Let me know if anyone is around with their little ripper and want to hook up for a few laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I like gluttons.

I’ve always enjoyed skiing w 666. He and a few others (sometimes) on here fucking rip, but at the same time, positively push your boundaries just the right amount. Never got I over my head, but never just a cruiser lap.

Lol, you mean a glutton for pain and embarrassment??

Next time I ski with 666, I’ll be ready(to stay within a hundred feet behind him without him having to stop and wait for me)

If anyone is looking for an affordable house in Truckee, an acquaintance of mine is selling this
    http://tsierra.paragonrels.com/Colla...f-cf6edb08ae5b

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If anyone is looking for an affordable house in Truckee, an acquaintance of mine is selling this
    http://tsierra.paragonrels.com/Colla...f-cf6edb08ae5b
    Since it's in a mobile home park/area, is there a fee associated?

Weekend warrior status...mid day on Saturday with kids and skiing with the wife on Sunday but will have time to do laps on my own...I hope.

Since it's in a mobile home park/area, is there a fee associated?
    no idea

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I've toured on the Wren 98 and it skis well enough in powder that if you're going to compliment it with something wider, go 115+ IMO.
    Agreed. Just got some black crows Anima 188. 115 under foot. Turn like a dream in pow and comfortable at the resort. Only complaint is the edge doesn't go around the tip and tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Let me know if anyone is around with their little ripper and want to hook up for a few laps.
    How old's your kid? I'll be up there every other weekend-ish with my 7 year old in tow.

He needs to find a few ski buddies that are faster and stronger than him to help keep him pushing...

This weekend we're stuck at N* - I know I know.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Weekend warrior status...mid day on Saturday with kids and skiing with the wife on Sunday but will have time to do laps on my own...I hope.
    This sounds very familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If anyone is looking for an affordable house in Truckee, an acquaintance of mine is selling this...
    Wow great price. Not very old. Looks and sounds awesome.
    Just a coupla years too late for us, tho. Shame.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Agreed. Just got some black crows Anima 188. 115 under foot. Turn like a dream in pow and comfortable at the resort. Only complaint is the edge doesn't go around the tip and tail.
    Ha, funny you say that. I have 188 Anima Freebirds with Tectons as my touring pow ski.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rose dirt.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	259992
    Was out at Rose today (Thurs) for the first time in five days due to a pulled lower back (getting older?) and was surprised to see how thin the snows getting in places. Slide side has some major skid marks showing through and it looks the face runs aren't being groomed as rolling it would dredge up rocks. Apparently the cold foggy inversion down here has meant little or no snowmaking opportunities as nights have been to warm up there. If you are skiing on good skis, there's about 2-3 runs where you won't hit anything. Go anywhere else, it's almost certain you will hit rocks. Hope something comes before the holidays hit.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    How old's your kid? I'll be up there every other weekend-ish with my 7 year old in tow.

He needs to find a few ski buddies that are faster and stronger than him to help keep him pushing...

This weekend we're stuck at N* - I know I know.
    Mine is 7. He gets around. Likes Thunder Bowl. Skis comfortable off 6. Has skied 10 late on a powder day. Super happy on 4/5/7/11. He says he won’t ever again ride chair 1. He loves skiing with other kids. Enjoys the outdoors, walks in the beach and companionship.

Sorry, realized it started to sound like a a dating classified.

We are back up Dec 27- Jan 2, then some weekends mid winter. He tends to get out more come March and April (part of why I hate Vail closing down so early - he is a spring skier by schedule)

How is the off piste / BC right now? Any aspects left with decent snow? Haven't been there since the end of November.

I'll be solo at Squawlpine tomorrow if anyone is around.

there are some n facing tree zones that are ok unless they have tracks which may or may not be refrozen. today's wind event should shrink the areas further if no snow falls at the end.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.