Page 172 of 175 FirstFirst ... 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 4354
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraSnowSurfer View Post
    Good to know. See a lot of suncups?
    Even with a spotting scope it’s hard to tell from a distance but I’m sure there is some summer “texture” out there, it did appear the stuff around the sisters looked smoother than the roundtop area

All current photo's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03389_crop.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	287644

Name:	DSC03391_crop.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	358.5 KB 
ID:	287645

Name:	DSC03397_crop.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	287646
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 07-04-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Skied the backside of Hawk's Peak today.
    Nary a suncup, instead I was treated to lightly dimpled, super smooth corn with only a few ridges (melted-out leftover turns from somebody who had probably been there a week ago) and a few runoff created mini halfpipes.

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	287725

Name:	IMG_1288.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	287726

Castle Peak and Basin Peak look solid (at least in terms of coverage, can't say whether they're cupped or not).

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	287727
    Last edited by dookey67; 07-04-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Vets is in today’s Wall Street Journal!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/that-tw...rs-11562260676

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post

Fuck yes!!!

Awesome, good for you Vets

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Awesome. Anyone have the full text from the article since it's behind a pay wall?

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post

I hear Dooks got a mention too, don’t short change the brother, it’s five pennies for a nickel.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That is fucking awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Awesome. Anyone have the full text from the article since it's behind a pay wall?
    thinking the same thing.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

ELDORADO NATIONAL FOREST, Calif.—Dave Boswell was out for a hike with friends on a recent June afternoon when he saw a man dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts—hiking with a set of alpine skis on his back.

No lift lines in July.
    “It was really strange to see him come down the mountain,” said Mr. Boswell. “My second thought was, ‘why aren’t we doing that too?’ ”

It’s “patch skiing” season in the Sierra Nevada.

Patch skiing is when ski fanatics hunt for whatever snowy spots, or patches, are left on mountains, hoping to complete just a few turns. Their sometimes slippery goal is to ski every month of the year.

The skier on that day, Stev Fargan, tested his mettle on remnants of a snowfield 25 miles from Lake Tahoe. He skied down two different snow patches and was able to make turns in the double-digits.

On both patches, after he skied to the bottom, he decided the runs were so great that it was worth it to hike back to the top of the patches to do it all again.

A single run on each patch lasted less than a minute.

Stev Fargan hikes up the mountain with his skis, boots and other gear. PHOTO: ABIGAIL SUMMERVILLE/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    “The hike-to-turn ratio isn’t always great,” said Mr. Fargan, a 58-year-old teacher from Wellington, Nev. “But there’s never a lift line.”

With one of the highest snowfalls on record in the Sierra, Mr. Fargan and other patch-skiing aficionados say this summer is shaping up to be a banner season. It’s also extending the regular season at resorts such as Squaw Valley, which will stay open until July 7 and Central California’s Mammoth Mountain, which plans to operate into August.

Having not missed skiing at least one turn for 188 consecutive months, by his account, Mr. Fargan “is the premiere patch skier in the Sierra Nevada,” said his friend, Jamie Schectman, a veteran skier in June Lake, Calif.

John Simonelli, Spencer Abbott and Stev Fargan, from left, after they skied their first patch of the day. PHOTO: ABIGAIL SUMMERVILLE/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    Mr. Fargan credits his wife, Michele Nelson, for sparking his love of patch skiing.

“She was working for the Forest Service at the Bunker Hill Fire Lookout and she said, ‘There’s a ton of snow here still.’ So I brought my skis and that’s how I started,” he said.

Patch skiing has reached Canada, the East Coast and even Scotland, where Helen Rennie said she is on her 116th consecutive month of skiing in her home country.

“There’s usually nobody else there so it’s peaceful and I often see wildlife,” said the 65-year-old Ms. Rennie, a geography teacher who lives in Inverness.

Although more people are trying out patch skiing, fans say, there are still no strict guidelines to the sport. “You come up with your own honorable rules,” Mr. Fargan said. “Mine are pretty loose; if you’re making turns, then you’re good,” he said.

Helen Rennie skiing a patch of snow in Scotland in 2016. PHOTO: HELEN RENNIE
    Other patch skiers, such as Meghan Kelly, have more rigid standards.

“My personal rules are 30 turns total counts as patch skiing and you have to ski at least 10 turns at a time. So on some of the smaller patches, we have to take three runs,” said Ms. Kelly, 40, of South Lake Tahoe, Calif.

She said other skiers base their rules on patch length, with some holding to a 1,000-foot-long run rule.

Katy Hover-Smoot, another local patch skier, has seen friends ski “a dusting of snow on their lawns” in October to get their monthly turns in.

There is a general consensus among the patch skiers that questioning the validity of another skier’s streak is completely inappropriate.

“I would never ask another person for evidence of their patch skiing activity....I would never say ‘that doesn’t count,’ ” said Ms. Hover-Smoot, 35, of Olympic Valley, Calif.

While there is little agreement on the exact rules of patch skiing, there is more consensus on the names of certain patches. Mr. Fargan named one patch “Chinese Fireball Dragon,” after a dragon in “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.”

Meghan Kelly skiing in the Sierra Nevada in September 2017. PHOTO: SARA CARBONARI
    If you look at the patch from a distance, it looks like a dragon’s head with a long neck, he said. “On the head you can make turns pretty easily, but the neck gets narrower, and it’s pretty steep as you’re going down. That’s one where you feel very alive when you ski it. You don’t forget it.”

During the height of California’s drought in 2015, Mr. Fargan had to hike four hours, with 40 pounds of skis, boots and other gear on his back, to reach a patch of snow, approximately 12 feet long.

“I had to clear rocks and branches off of it. It was kind of like a chunk of ice almost,” he said.

After clearing the patch, he put on his gear and completed a single turn on a run that lasted a few seconds. He did nine more runs to get five right turns and five left turns.

Then he switched back to his hiking shoes for the four-hour descent.

Spencer Abbott, another patch skier and a friend of Mr. Fargan’s, said he has had trouble recruiting people to the sport.

“I try to tell them we’re going to do a lot of hiking and not a lot of skiing,” said Mr. Abbott, 52. “But I haven’t met a lot of people who want to do it a lot because they’re like, ‘that’s a lot of work for a short amount of skiing.’ ”

Mr. Fargan said the hardest part is stopping before the snow ends and the rocks start. “It’s not like a resort where it gets flat at the bottom and then you get on a lift,” Mr. Fargan said.

The Eldorado National Forest still has snow. PHOTO: ABIGAIL SUMMERVILLE/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    With so much snow left in the Sierra Nevada this summer, he is noticing more people hitting the slopes. On his recent expedition, he ran into John Simonelli in the trail head parking lot and saw that he also had a set of skis.

Mr. Simonelli, of Tahoma, Calif., said he is new to patch skiing. Though he hadn’t met Mr. Fargan before, he followed him to the various patches on the mountain. At the end of the day, he announced: “I’m gonna do this all summer now.”

Appeared in the July 5, 2019, print edition as 'Year-Round Skiers Go to Short Lengths.'

7/5/19. After experiencing the Squaw rave on the 4th, sought a day with more solitude if this was to be the last day of a fun season. Travel was from the rest stop on EB I-80 to the chutes on the north side of Castle Pk., east of the summit block. Hiked from 7,200 ft to ~ 7900 ft, then skins to the ridge at ~8,700. Still lots of snow above 8,000 ft. The north side is stacked. At 11:00 a.m., the north side was still firm. Not really sun-cupped on the north facing steeps, but runnels are now forming. Opted not to climb/ski the north east facing slope directly under the summit block as it appeared heavily sun-cupped. Skiing back from the ridge towards the rest stop, after traversing sun-cups on the top, the strip of snow on the south east side yielded soft smooth corn for ~ 650 vt. ft., before putting on the hiking boots.

Desolation Wilderness Day Trip

On Sunday, July 7th, I went out to make this year's attempt at my semi-yearly pilgrimage to certain north/northeast bowl in Desolation Wilderness, and this year didn't disappoint. Not including an unfortunate detour, I logged 10 miles car-to-car, and got in a great 1,400' descent. The top 800' was really nice corn with only slight dimpling, then moderate but still carvable suncups, then some 12"+ runnels that only added to the adventure of summertime snowboarding. Once a gate is opened in the next few days (hopefully no more than a week or two), 2 miles can be cut off the a round-trip journey.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Took a drive out toward the patch today. I parked at the bridge and walked a ways since i was heading toward whatever the unnamed peak on the same ridge as the nipple is. When I got closer it didn't look all that good and it was gonna drop me in a gully i didn't want to finish in so I just hung around the top of Forestdale divide. Most of the snow was pretty smooth. The Upper patch was the exception and it didn't connect with the lower portion which is weird for the amount of snow out there. Still, it was fun and good skiing.

Name:	A146C15C-5941-41DE-A7B1-D3FA99388C10.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	466.3 KB 
ID:	288151

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Took a drive out toward the patch today. I parked at the bridge and walked a ways since i was heading toward whatever the unnamed peak on the same ridge as the nipple is. When I got closer it didn't look all that good and it was gonna drop me in a gully i didn't want to finish in so I just hung around the top of Forestdale divide. Most of the snow was pretty smooth. The Upper patch was the exception and it didn't connect with the lower portion which is weird for the amount of snow out there. Still, it was fun and good skiing.

Name:	A146C15C-5941-41DE-A7B1-D3FA99388C10.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	466.3 KB 
ID:	288151

Now that's a set of rock skis. Great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraSnowSurfer View Post
    . Once a gate is opened in the next few days (hopefully no more than a week or two), 2 miles can be cut off the a round-trip journey.
    that's a big day, assuming your talking about the Wrights lake road? So I'm guessing you can get to the parking area just before the lake? last time I tried to go up there I got closed down by snow well before that gate. Some areas I like to mountain bike up there so if I can get to the gate now that good news.

It is Wrights Lake road, and you can park in the lot that is just before the entrance gate to the lake. It was a big day, but only 6 hours round trip, which isn't too bad.

For those searching for summer turns on the Northish side of the Lake:

2nd gate at Blackwood Canyon is still closed (the one by the river); was told by some mtn bikers that the road is pretty clear of snow, but the Ellis Peak Trail is still covered in snow.

Gate at Castle Peak is open; Basin Peak is still pretty much top-to-bottom and there's a nice swatch of snow between the outer rim of Coon Canyon and Frog Lake Cliffs.

Mt. Lola and the surrounding area is holding nicely (North facing aspect of Lola, ridge above Perazzo Cliffs on the PCT, White Rock Lake area, Webber Peak, etc.)

A little lost and found stoke

Early last december I buried my snow saw in a pit on Castle Peak. Dug around for a while but couldn't find it so I dropped a pin and figured I'd get it when it melts out.

Just under 9 months later I found it melted out. What a rad winter.

For those of you still making turns there are several lines that still connect through in the backside there.

Spent all of July skiing in the San Juans and it was all time summer chute skiing.

That's all I have to add for now...

I thought interior snow rotted in spring. Glad I don’t know shit. Ended up not skiing in July, but the surf was rocking.

Dunno if you can see it, but (the lady) Rose has a white eyebrow...
    (Taken from site of Splats new naked ladies rv/hot tub'n'rub resort)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190801_164155.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	290056

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Spent all of July skiing in the San Juans and it was all time summer chute skiing.

That's all I have to add for now...

Awaiting (creepy) pics.

Gates are open at Blackwood Canyon/Barker Pass, fwiw...

Thought I'd post some trail stoke from last weekend. Beautiful weather, thought I'd try a tour I wanna to this weekend - Rose, Houghton, Relay, Rose Knob Peak, Incline Peak. Turned out to be a dick kicker of a run, but got some decent pics

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	582.1 KB 
ID:	290626

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	290627

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg