Page 167 of 175 FirstFirst ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 4354
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

FWIW, Squaw today was interesting.
    Got on the hill at 9:20 and things were a bit firm. I'd brought my skinny slalom skis, so I ripped a coupla laps off of Big Blue (the banked turn terrain features are super fun and always empty on the weekdays). Liftie told me that Shirley was good, so I took his advice and headed over the hill only to be hit with horrible, uneven grooming and boilerplate. I promptly returned to the mellow angles of Big Blue where I found some sweet cream cheese and a little baby bowl of smearable soft serve. The final approach to the lift started to get sloppy and sticky around 10:30. Was about to head down the Funi to swap sticks when I ran into some friends, so manned up and stayed out on the skinny skis. Went back to Shirley and lapped that for the remainder of my stay.
    They closed Granite Chief around 11ish due to impending lightning (it never came while I was there). Snow started getting really messy just after high noon, so, after three solid hours of railing on 165cm stiffies, I called it and hit up Truckee Brewing for a cold East Coast IPA apres.
    The current weather report keeps fluctuating, so not sure what tomorrow is gonna bring...
    Still, a good day on the hill made all the more fun and challenging by choosing short, skinny skis as the tool of the day.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Fun eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    FWIW, Squaw today was interesting.
    Had some work to do this AM, didn't get there til about 11:30. RevTrav had just closed due to the possible lightning that never came, and it was pretty sticky up there so I ended up just spinning 75 laps from Noon - 2. It stayed cloudy which kept the snow good, even the mtn run back to KT was OK.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Radar holes
    Watching the storm coming in I'm noticing some radar holes over Sacramento and Oroville. I've includes a screenshot. obviously I wouldn't post it if it didn't last for more than just one frame. (radar loop here but by the time you wake up it will have likely changed), so here's a screenshot
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  464.8 KB

I get so confused. is this part of the HAARP conspiracy or just some weird intersection of chemtrails? please discuss
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Woke up to this near Soda Springs today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2796.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	283774

Been snowing and accumulating for a couple hours at my SLT pad.

Photo from two days ago, things really got smoothed out over the last week!

Name:	DSC03363.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	283781

those holes are over the stations, you can see the radii lines originating from them. not sure why they're not picking up the percip above them, maybe it's such light rain that taking a vertical profile of it reads nada?

do you know what's over antioch? first time i've seen the holes over the cities but the high intensity spot over antioch is there every storm.

Both upper and lower mountain at Squaw were tracked out today by 9:30 (when I sluggishly arrived).

Additionally, I have never seen so many Sports Basement rental skis all concentrated in one area in my life...

Ski Bus

Snow was fluffy at the hump this morning, but got a little heavier with each run. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01661.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	283817

Skiing was great today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    those holes are over the stations, you can see the radii lines originating from them. not sure why they're not picking up the percip above them, maybe it's such light rain that taking a vertical profile of it reads nada?
    They're Doppler radars, and they don't work up close as there's a high bypass filter for the frequency return offset.

Great stoke and what a season. Powder skiing around Memorial Day is awesome. Tahoe can be so fickle, with many low snow seasons and then some amazing ones that remind you that when it’s good, Tahoe has some of the best skiing in the world.

fairly blower for late may i'd say

Drove by KW yesterday evening. Looks like they got 8-12” there. So caked.

Name:	IMG_4559.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1,004.1 KB 
ID:	283862

It didn’t look like blower, but I also didn’t look like mank. I imagine it was stellar up high. Mammoth was fairly blower at 10k yesterday afternoon.

Kirkwood was great top to bottom yesterday, see pics I posted on previous page

Just got back from schussing Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe with Thudder and Corky.
    Top half of the mountain was silky smoove.
    Lower half was cowboy stance inducing, death-wedge stem christie turn-styled sludge.
    No lift lines, though. And minimal crowds...scored fresh turns on each of my 3 runs.
    Window there was probably 6-to-8 (we started skinning around 8:30)...

north-facing early was fun...

Rose area

Any Reno dinner recommendations? My midwestern mother is in town.

Attempted round top this morning.
    The peak was in a cloud which made the snow really wet.
    On the apron, lots of avie debris
    From this morning!

Can't see where it's coming from, hoped not from the crescent.

Skinned higher, yep from the couloir.

Found a safe spot to transition, roller balls and wheels coming down every 5 minutes.
    Then they stopped, so I'm good to go?

As I'm putting my skis on the pack, i hear an airplane near by.

Then i look below and it's the avie coming down the couloir, noisy. Not an airplane!

That's all it took to convince me to abandon my plans.

Skied by braille, and it got clear at the lake.

Not my best day.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Seems like you can always avoid trouble on Round Top if you just go up and around. No need to climb and ski the dogleg if it dodgy. You oughta be able to figure it out long before you get up into it

Went over to Heavenly yesterday just to get a few last south lake lift served turns. The whole bus ride over from the cal lot and back just sucks balls, shitty small buses that I can barely get my legs in/out and difficult to get in and out of the bus with your gear. East peak lodge bathrooms were all out of toilet paper and they could not even bother to provide water there. Prolly a lot to do with the weather but really no closing day vibe going on. Had more fun mountain biking yesterday than I did skiing.

Well, that is the Vail show for ya. Could have had top to bottom powder runs at their other resort nearby, but instead opted for running shuttles and access lifts. Go figure.