Page 152 of 175 FirstFirst ... 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ... LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 4352
  1. #3776
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,788
    snow didnt set up well in the heave slack today. empty groomers going to closed for the season chairs were $

  2. #3777
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reno, eNVy
    Posts
    367
    Here you guys are arguing about new lifts and closing days, while meanwhile out in Nevada...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5912.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	278630

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5713.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	278631

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5902.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	278633

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5894.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	278636

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5893.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	278638

  3. #3778
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,051
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleTahoe View Post
    Also talks of filling in the bad to make the decks even with load at roundhouse/summit.
    Wait, what?

  4. #3779
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,543
    Great shots Wobby!

  5. #3780
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tahoe City
    Posts
    121
    Filling in the back of the lodge, like where the breezeway comes out,
    With dirt so the deck is level with the summit and road house mazes.

    Makes no sense to me.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #3781
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,051
    If you could step off the deck and click into your skis without having to hike up to summit / roundhouse I could see that being kind of nice... so long as they do it right.

  7. #3782
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    382
    Sick wobby

  8. #3783
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,788
    fuk ya wobby!!!! gilbert is such a rad peak that very few have on their radar and everything u say about having to have the planets line up for a successful descent is spot on. i made one attempt at it but we only got up to the cliffband before we pulled the plug due to stability concerns. in your booter shot you can see all the solar exposure on that side of the peak that you have to climb under on the approach. our skintrack in those flats got taken out by a big slide while we were ascending the peak. there was just too much fresh snow with rapid warming to make climbing past that upper cliffband a smart move so we bailed. thanx for sharing+++++

  9. #3784
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,751
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If you could step off the deck and click into your skis without having to hike up to summit / roundhouse I could see that being kind of nice... so long as they do it right.
    You're older than I guessed. 😁

  10. #3785
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    741
    hell yeah wobby, that looked rad!

  11. #3786
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,051
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You're older than I guessed. ��
    Ha. Well, I have three kids 10 and under and it would be a hell of a lot easier for going into the lodge and back out!

    Nice pics Wobby - love that fourth one with the huck capture.

  12. #3787
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,243
    for reference
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terminal-cancer-e-back-kris.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	865.6 KB 
ID:	278655
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  13. #3788
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    sutro tower
    Posts
    362
    Took a long weekend to play with my sled, the kind that's better than brrapp

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190412_120617_v.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	782.6 KB 
ID:	278693

    big basecamp, probably a little too big. set up in the bowl that doesn't have a name? but we saw a lot of bears in. so....bear bowl

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_092118.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	932.4 KB 
ID:	278688

    bounced off the backboard

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_130730_v.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	573.3 KB 
ID:	278698

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_130449.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	278690

    named this one porthole slot because the only way to scope the line is through the hole

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_153313.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	958.5 KB 
ID:	278691

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_154700(0)-v.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	278699

    edit forget this sideways stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190412_120617.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	278687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_130730.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	278689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190413_154700(0).jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1,001.5 KB 
ID:	278692  
    Last edited by emcee; 04-16-2019 at 01:25 AM.

  14. #3789
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,051
    ^^ Fun, I've always wanted to do that (I've done hut trips but bringing your own tent and setting up camp where you want is appealing). Seems like a good year for it with the low snow line.

  15. #3790
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,543
    With the bears in bear bowl, any issue w food storage? Did you bring bear canisters?

  16. #3791
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reno, eNVy
    Posts
    367
    Thanks for all the enthusiasm guys! Its been too good of a season out there, and this just happened to be another fantastic Saturday. Unbelievable how many there have been this year, and hopefully a few more to come.

    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    fuk ya wobby!!!! gilbert is such a rad peak that very few have on their radar and everything u say about having to have the planets line up for a successful descent is spot on. i made one attempt at it but we only got up to the cliffband before we pulled the plug due to stability concerns. in your booter shot you can see all the solar exposure on that side of the peak that you have to climb under on the approach. our skintrack in those flats got taken out by a big slide while we were ascending the peak. there was just too much fresh snow with rapid warming to make climbing past that upper cliffband a smart move so we bailed. thanx for sharing+++++
    Thanks for the story Gimpy, sounds like you guys made the right choice. We were experiencing a lot of warming too, but decided to push on since the north face seemed cool enough still. Glad we did!

    The upper sections of the face are actually not as steep as I thought, so I would also hit it in firmer conditions. Prior to our ski up there, I had always thought it was just puckering steeps above cliffs. But now we know.

    Ever heard of anyone else actually skiing it? You been out on any other big lines out in the Rubies?

  17. #3792
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    sutro tower
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    With the bears in bear bowl, any issue w food storage? Did you bring bear canisters?
    had a bear canister and then there were some good overhung trees to throw a bear line. we didn't take any chances, there were fresh prints all over from a male bear (or cubless female) that had just woken up from a long nap. He/she was rubbing on all the trees to get the molt off.

    We dug 10 feet down to the lake to try to find water and got none, so ended up having to melt it off a tarp for the trip.

  18. #3793
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,540
    Fun morning now back to our regularly scheduled corn harvest




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #3794
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,743
    Dat wuz fun.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190416_093738.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	278753

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	424.4 KB 
ID:	278755

    [not me]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190416_114755_2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	278754

    Now bring on da corn!
    sproing!

    FS: 187 Praxis GPO with STH14 binders https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...TH-14-bindings

    FS: crampons, lightweight winter down sleeping bag, and stuff https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ost?highlight=

  20. #3795
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    had a bear canister and then there were some good overhung trees to throw a bear line. we didn't take any chances, there were fresh prints all over from a male bear (or cubless female) that had just woken up from a long nap. He/she was rubbing on all the trees to get the molt off.

    We dug 10 feet down to the lake to try to find water and got none, so ended up having to melt it off a tarp for the trip.
    Are you saying that the ice on the lake was covered with 10 ft of snow?

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  21. #3796
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    sutro tower
    Posts
    362
    I don't think there was a lake. It felt like maybe it was supposed to be a lake but was really a vernal pond and the snow soaked up all the water. I dunno, I've never really had this problem finding water before, but I'm also not camping so high up on such a big snowpack.

    Even the massive creek in summit city canyon is covered and buried. It's definitely flowing, but it's under a dozen feet of snow

  22. #3797
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,243
    Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I don't think there was a lake. It felt like maybe it was supposed to be a lake but was really a vernal pond and the snow soaked up all the water. I dunno, I've never really had this problem finding water before, but I'm also not camping so high up on such a big snowpack.

    Even the massive creek in summit city canyon is covered and buried. It's definitely flowing, but it's under a dozen feet of snow
    you need a real lake. this time of year you just need to go down two or three feet to get to water that sits on top of the ice layer. needs no filtering either.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  23. #3798
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    sutro tower
    Posts
    362
    this was our system for water

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190412_143332.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	278792

  24. #3799
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    486
    Duuuuun dun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6383.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	278787

    Duuuun dun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6387.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	278788

    Duuun dun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6410.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	278789

    Duun dun
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4200.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	603.4 KB 
ID:	278790

    DUN DUN!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6400.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	278791

  25. #3800
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,788
    well dun dun!!! ++++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •