Page 151 of 175 FirstFirst ... 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 4354
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    But not sure about winds only shutting down access to the top and still allowing the lower part to run, that would require a totally separate cable and some sort of complex midstation to join the top and bottom.
    Because there is a turn at the mid-station, thats how it operates. The cable cannot operate around the turn, so it is two separate systems. Its the same way the proposed ganjola would work...or just like the Collins lift at Alta.

Details about the project are here at Placer County... https://www.placer.ca.gov/DocumentCe...ime-PDF?bidId=
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

like the gondola at Mammoth works at McCoy station.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Disagree with you Mike - I'd much rather ride Red Dog as it is than Hot Wheels.
    Yup. That's if hot wheels goes all the way to ridge where Sherwood unloads. At least that's what I heard was the plan??

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Because there is a turn at the mid-station, thats how it operates. The cable cannot operate around the turn, so it is two separate systems. Its the same way the proposed ganjola would work...or just like the Collins lift at Alta.

Details about the project are here at Placer County... https://www.placer.ca.gov/DocumentCe...ime-PDF?bidId=
    For a small section like hot wheels I doubt they’ll make it two separate ropes. There are lifts and gondolas that aren’t separate just because of a mid station. Usually they are only separated if the lift is too big to efficiently use only one drive (meaning motor etc.) or if a costumer were to request it specifically. With such a short second section adding a second drive would be a huge cost increase, and designing it too run from a single drive but detaching the top station would honestly be an engineering headache (also expensive, and time consuming). I doubt hot wheels will have the ability to run only the bottom section.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have been on chairlifts in Europe that have a turn in them.
    I think they were all fixed grip though.
    Surface lifts for the win! Cheap, small, efficient, and they weed out the lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe420 View Post
    I have been on chairlifts in Europe that have a turn in them.
    That would be some uphill gnar over the Sherwood cliffs. ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Red Dog and Squaw Creek upgrades would be amazing. Think of all those days the upper mountain in closed. I know that the gondola placement and approval has to be the hold up...makes sense. So much good terrain on Red Dog (obviously) but early season under the Squaw Creek chair is pretty damn fun as well. It also helps with the family skiing situation. There's diverse terrain, longish groomers as well as snack/lunch options at SC that are extremely helpful but the usual response of doing more than a few laps over there is...'but we have to ride that chair again!'
    Last edited by skier666; 04-17-2019 at 01:38 PM.

As noted like 8,423 posts ago (151 pages!! so far this year), looks like Red Dog replacement might happen soon, but not this summer. Plans have been approved by the MAC, but not by the county afaik

http://friendsofsv.org/details-on-pr...-red-dog-lift/
    http://friendsofsv.org/squaw-valley-...t-replacement/

Alignment looks rad too. Moves the base station over towards the race HQ (towards far east), so you can actually lap the damn chair.

DETAILS ON PROPOSED RED DOG LIFT
    / October 6, 2018 / Comments Off on Details on Proposed Red Dog lift / Latest News
    Here are some notes from the Municipal Advisory Council review of the proposed Red Dog lift last Thursday. Unfortunately it’s not clear when the lift will actually be installed. The proposed new lift, install date and the location change for the base of the lift would seem to be predicated on the Squaw/Alpine Gondola (California Express) being approved (base of new gondola will most likely be located where the Red Dog lift base is currently located).

Key Notes:
    They are advancing this request since the conditional use permit on the original Red Dog lift replacement is expiring.
    This submittal, which is on a fast track for CEQA addendum analysis, MAC vote, and planning commission vote, would allow for the new base terminal to be moved 600 ft to the east.
    Will be a detachable six pack lift.
    The uphill capacity will be limited to 2400 per hour, versus the 1800 today. The limit is imposed by the 1983 Placer County Squaw Valley General Plan which set an upper limit on total uphill capacity. There was a lot of discussion about upping this limit for bad weather but the lift motor and other features are being spec’ed at the 2400 limit.
    There is no timing set for doing this swap, perhaps one year, two years, or more.
    The lift would require the demolition of the old shacks that house dispatch, race lockers, ski patrol and others. It was not clear where these facilities would move to.
    MAC asked for clarification on the placement of the top terminal and impact on the space at the top of Snow King (very congested), analysis of the approach to the bottom terminal since there is a dangerous road cut on the approach, relationship to buildings in Specific Plan, and several other items.
    Agreed with those who would prefer Red Dog and Squaw Creek replacements over the gondy. The gondy is a total vanity project.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe420 View Post
    Agreed on the surface lifts ftw! No wind holds, they weed out the weak, and you can snag empty tbars w your pole or grab the cable and ease onto one w an open spot. T1 at mammoth wasn't for the weak. It was steep af and not even as hairball as some in Europe. Bring back the TBars!!!

Either way, far better than Rose's early close date...skipping that pass next year. Fuckers. I need to learn to deal with skiing Squaw late season.
    An employee was saying something about rose's usfs lease expiring beginning of May. Sounded wrong to me - anyone have real info on that?

Good to know... I should start clearing snow then for the footings for my new side deck. Figured I would just have to wait until late May or so.

On that note, anyone have any contractor friends who might be interested in a deck project in Tahoe Donner sooner than later?
    What year are you thinking about? Surely not this year.

(Ron Adams is a great contractor, does a lot of smaller jobs. He's done a bathroom and office add on and an elevator shaft add on for us, great work, fair prices, the lumber yard loves him which I guess he pays his bills fast. )

Re lifts--the old Weasel lift had a mid loading station near the chalet, a mid unloading station where the current hot wheels unloads, and then went over the ridge and downhill a short way to the final unloading station on the Sherwood side--all on one cable, fixed grip, no slowing down. As I recall it was faster than the current Hot Wheels.

Moving RD 600 ft east--should make the race from RD to KT when KT finally opens on a powder morning a lot more interesting. A lot more people will probably elect to wait in the KT line instead of doing RD laps.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Got an early start due to higher temps last night but the winds locked things up longer than expected today, but only waited about 50 minutes. Both sides of the hill corned up, some pics from today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nice shots, almost looks like you jumped the water.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

The very reliable source I talked to at Alpine said that they needed to not just dig out the towers, they need to plow away a whole bunch of snow to allow access for construction equipment to get in there in May. They are completely removing the old Hot Wheels, possibly to be repurposed elsewhere. Initially they were talking about closing that side of the mountain early April, so the 21st is a bit better.

As to the new Hot Wheels lift being more susceptible to wind, that will only affect the upper section. The lower section will be able to run independently on windy day. A four minute ride on storm days will be much better than a 13 minute ride.

The post above indicates the last weekend for Alpine is May 19th. BA's report today indicated weekends until the 27th. Hope thats correct as I need to catch up on skiing since I have been out since March 17th with a busted shoulder.

Either way, far better than Rose's early close date...skipping that pass next year. Fuckers. I need to learn to deal with skiing Squaw late season.
    Thanks for helping clear the rumors.
    Unfortunately the bottom half won’t run independent.
    Also they need to dig out a bunch of utilities and bring in a ton of dirt to fill the base of new “Hot Wheels” up to the elevation of meadow chair.
    It’s going to be a huge project with a lot of dirt being moved. Also talks of filling in the bad to make the decks even with load at roundhouse/summit.
    Summit and maybe roundhouse should spin weekends until May 19

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    nice shots, almost looks like you jumped the water.
    Thanks, that one is a bit of a optical illusion as my buddy landed a fair bit away from the water.

Well I heard today that Mott, North Bowl, Galaxy have officially closed for the season at Heavenly.

Skied good corn on Red lake today, kinda a narrow window and the 3rd time this year I skied corn while it started to snow on me. Winds kept me off the summit though for the second time this week there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57154777_2731405403598979_6388944902851395584_o.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	278643
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-15-2019 at 06:35 PM.

snow didnt set up well in the heave slack today. empty groomers going to closed for the season chairs were $

Here you guys are arguing about new lifts and closing days, while meanwhile out in Nevada...

Name:	IMG_5912.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	278630

Name:	IMG_5713.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	278631

Name:	IMG_5902.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	278633

Name:	IMG_5894.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	278636

Name:	IMG_5893.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	278638

Quote Originally Posted by TeleTahoe View Post
    Also talks of filling in the bad to make the decks even with load at roundhouse/summit.
    Wait, what?

Great shots Wobby!

Filling in the back of the lodge, like where the breezeway comes out,
    With dirt so the deck is level with the summit and road house mazes.

Makes no sense to me.

If you could step off the deck and click into your skis without having to hike up to summit / roundhouse I could see that being kind of nice... so long as they do it right.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Sick wobby

fuk ya wobby!!!! gilbert is such a rad peak that very few have on their radar and everything u say about having to have the planets line up for a successful descent is spot on. i made one attempt at it but we only got up to the cliffband before we pulled the plug due to stability concerns. in your booter shot you can see all the solar exposure on that side of the peak that you have to climb under on the approach. our skintrack in those flats got taken out by a big slide while we were ascending the peak. there was just too much fresh snow with rapid warming to make climbing past that upper cliffband a smart move so we bailed. thanx for sharing+++++

If you could step off the deck and click into your skis without having to hike up to summit / roundhouse I could see that being kind of nice... so long as they do it right.
    You're older than I guessed. 😁

hell yeah wobby, that looked rad!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You're older than I guessed. ��
    Ha. Well, I have three kids 10 and under and it would be a hell of a lot easier for going into the lodge and back out!

Nice pics Wobby - love that fourth one with the huck capture.