Page 146 of 175 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 4354
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    female ski and snowboard men today
    Poor souls. Snow was fiiiiirrrrrm this morning. We ripped groomers until just before noon and things are finally softening a touch on solar aspects.

Skiers right Cirque was being skied yesterday in much better snow conditions. Actually very good conditions for stomping big hits.

Today not so much.

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    i would of course never encourage skiing in permanently closed areas - and you will totally die if you try to ski there - but there may have been someone's two of the best runs of the year in there last saturday. bluebird w like a foot of fresh that had blown in there untracked
    A couple of tracks above the attic last weekend on Rooftop at squaw. Not sure how whomever busted that move got away with it on a fairly busy weekend, but the tracks looked pretty sweet. Although they probably totally died

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    A couple of tracks above the attic last weekend on Rooftop at squaw. Not sure how whomever busted that move got away with it on a fairly busy weekend, but the tracks looked pretty sweet. Although they probably totally died
    With this type of coverage that zone looks so fun... despite the exposure. That's where the doctor tumbled to his death back in the day and it's been closed ever since, correct?

We're talking above Shirley Bowl, right? (photo is from Feb 2015)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-02-10 10.13.22.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	931.8 KB 
ID:	277338

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    With this type of coverage that zone looks so fun... despite the exposure. That's where the doctor tumbled to his death back in the day and it's been closed ever since, correct?
    I think that death may be urban legend. I don't recall ever reading that actually happened

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I think that death may be urban legend. I don't recall ever reading that actually happened
    Could be. I heard it from what I consider to be some pretty reliable sources, but it was supposedly in the late 70's (I think) so who knows?
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 04-05-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Ya above Shirley. It's way fatter than that pic now. Just a bowl where those rocks are. I saw tracks there in 2010-11 as well, but those got put in midweek.

So it stays closed even when stacked and filled?

The past few days I skied some zones that are now just bowls that are typically cliff bands. My favorite was the little cornice that formed near the top of 4 that usually is just a screw field. First time I’ve ever skied that little bowl. My son wanted to hit it, and it was a great call.

Yes. Permanent closure. Although there were some rumors of it being opened a few years ago but probably just wishful thinking during the last big snow year. The cliffs at the bottom are always there, but there is a pretty wide line currently that would funnel you to lookers right w minimal exposure to death falls. I'll try and get a pic this weekend.

I believe that's the same story with The Cirque at Kirkwood. Two guys died in the 70's so they closed it permanently?

1980 map:

^^ look for permanent closures of all tree wells at heavenly next year

The traces of snow we got today did nothing to repair the wet slide damage the recent warmup did.

Today was a good day to ride a bike

Name:	56627516_2707681515971368_2999286369873821696_o.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	722.9 KB 
ID:	277429

I’m ready for it to just be sunny and ski corn. Hope these upcoming waves miss us completely, which is possible since there’s some serious waffling going on with the long term forecast.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Shut your whore mouf

Yeah fuck that
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

It’s April. You guys want mashed potatoes and rain with frozen cookies here and there instead of nice and consistent cream of corn?

If it actually snows it’s cooked by 10am and then takes a few days to get good again. What am I missing?

not quite Tahoe but still stoke: last weekend based at ostrander ski hut in yose

Name:	20190330_151111.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	768.0 KB 
ID:	277438

I built a sled and it is incredible

It’s April. You guys want mashed potatoes and rain with frozen cookies here and there instead of nice and consistent cream of corn?

If it actually snows it’s cooked by 10am and then takes a few days to get good again. What am I missing?
    I think some high elevation NE aspects won’t be fully cooked by 10 in April. Also, as April progresses the corn window will gets smaller and smaller.

I do agree that these storms that drop a few inches every few days kind of suck but a 12+ inch cold dump in April would be welcome, particularly if followed by sunshine.

BTW today was not an epic day of skiing but I was able to get some good turns in. Definitely skied worse in April.

I've had my best pow days in April although my hopes for this one are fading

seriously? april?

this is late may 2010, don't make me bust out may 11
    Last edited by powdork; 04-06-2019 at 02:09 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

‘11 has excellent spring skiing. I had a new born, so I finished up April 4 and had FOMO all spring. At least the corn was excellent in June that year and KW spun 6 for the 4th of July.

Fuck it then, bring on the rain! Obviously I’m all for cold storms coming in still but if it’s going to be a “wintry mix” I’ll take a hard pass. Check the temps in the forecast... high of 40 (or 50 on Monday) doesn’t typically result in blower.

Fuck it then, bring on the rain! Obviously I’m all for cold storms coming in still but if it’s going to be a “wintry mix” I’ll take a hard pass. Check the temps in the forecast... high of 40 (or 50 on Monday) doesn’t typically result in blower.
    I'm with you, man. I love powder more than anything but the 1-5" of mush and no freeze BS every few days just ruins it for me. Luckily trails are melting out nicely: I'm going to ride my bike. Maybe the mini storms will stop for long enough to get some actual corn going and I'll head south next week.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Anyone know if the comp is a go at Kirkwood today? Still no updated start list or info on the tahoefreeride page.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

We are both screwed in the forecast. No pow dumps or hard freeze.

This was in my Fakeblock memories today

Name:  IMG_5898.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  58.2 KB

if we hadnt received that last storm, we would be set up with smooth panels and gullies of dank corn. but instead, we got a decent day of wintry snow, followed by mass destruction from heating/greenhousing leaving us with piles of shit in just bout every gully/couloir and marginal skiing conditions. this scenario is more pronounced right now, but its pretty much the case every spring. the only time i welcome spring pow is when our base is lacking, or when we need resurfacing, ........like right now.