Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What Cloud do your files float on?

What service do you use for personal cloud storage?

Box?
    Dropbox?
    Google Drive?
    OneDrive?
    iCloud?
    Amazon Drive?

Currently my photos, videos, music, docs, etc... are spread between multiple platforms and HDs. I need to consolidate. I have enough data that I would likely be paying for the storage.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I do Facebook, Google, and STILL keep 2 different hard drive copies of as many of my photos and personal docs as possible. Videos mostly reside on YouTube because.. well that would be insane hard drive space. I grew up without much in the way of home movies so I'm OK with some risk to losing videos of skiing and stuff. I do have some DVDs of the family stuff from my wedding through about the time the kids were in elementary school.
    Last edited by SumJongGuy; 08-26-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I hate Dropbox with a passion.

I use GoogleDrive and love it. Only minor issues is sharing with other people. Sometimes permissions are easy-peasy, sometimes it has to be done twice and I can't figure out why. Not an issue if you share occasionally. No issues with a ton of of hi-res videos being stored.

I have all my iphone photos and videos auto-uploaded to it whenever I have a wireless connection, which is great, but you can probably do that with a lot of services.

^^^ why?

I use dropbox for my work stuff (all docs), and google drive for personal + a small business that my brother and I have (all file types).

My phones are always android, and sync to google. Wife is iphone/mac/icloud.

GoogleDrive here, but I’m looking for an alternative. For some stupid reason, it won’t let me exclude certain files from auto backup. Quickbooks files can’t be shared (at least not the way I have them set up); whenever GD tries to back them up, the originals get corrupted. Very annoying.

We have Quicken files shared on Dropbox, which was our workaround for Quicken only allowing one work file and limiting access to one machine. This has worked well. Maybe Quickbooks has the same workaround?

Hmm, I’ll look into that...

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ why?

I use dropbox for my work stuff (all docs), and google drive for personal + a small business that my brother and I have (all file types).

My phones are always android, and sync to google. Wife is iphone/mac/icloud.
    If I remember correctly, I never really knew what was shared with who. And it has a low amount of storage for a casual user, compared to Google Drive. I quit it about 5-6 years ago, and while I have a lot of irrational hate for random things, Dropbox was an inferior product at the time, that I know.

Flyover, you can select different folders to be uploaded or not uploaded. Can you put QB file in a separate folder and choose for it to not be uploaded?

Following..

I currently use sync.com, but a big limitation is u MUST use their single backup folder. I'm fine with it but if u have multiple folders that u want to replicate to cloud, it can't be set up to monitor them.

Depends on the needs- backup of photos either Google or Amazon (also depends on the phone you carry). Dropbox for easy transfers of files between users or computers but using less and less since they changed the user to user sharing on the free option (compared to Dropbox for Business paid).

I rarely use Box (special projects) or One Drive, but again it depends on file types, size and some other things. Win 10 as an example is encouraging One Drive backups of documents, photos, videos, etc. for file recovery from ransomware or disaster including drive failure.

Apple of course thinks that iCloud is the only solution and many people end up with needing more storage due to photos and their phone running out of storage (no capabilities of using a MicroSD memory cards...)

Did a quick price comparison. Assuming I need somewhere around 500gb. Prices per year.

Amazon Drive: $59.99 (1 TB)
    OneDrive: $69.99 (1 TB)
    Dropbox: $150 ($12.5 / mo - 3TB)
    Google One: $119.88 ($9.99 / mo - 2TB)
    iCloud: $119.88 ($9.99 / mo - 2TB)
    Box: $180 ($15 / mo - unlimited)

Based on this... if there is no clear winner interface/service wise, I'll just do Amazon.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I've had OneDrive for about a year. The local storage and cloud syncing has worked pretty flawlessly. It works just like another folder on my PC. OneDrive also includes an Office 365 subscription if that matters to you.

Any suggestions on a backup for about 1TB, on a really slow (20/2) DSL connection? I have a huge music library that I backup across four identical drives; I’d love to put it on the cloud, but my connection is so slow, it would take me forever to upload. Anyone solved this?

Some cloud services have a mail-in feature where you send a drive to be added...I have not used any myself tho to recommend

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Did a quick price comparison. Assuming I need somewhere around 500gb. Prices per year.

Amazon Drive: $59.99 (1 TB)
    OneDrive: $69.99 (1 TB)
    Dropbox: $150 ($12.5 / mo - 3TB)
    Google One: $119.88 ($9.99 / mo - 2TB)
    iCloud: $119.88 ($9.99 / mo - 2TB)
    Box: $180 ($15 / mo - unlimited)

Based on this... if there is no clear winner interface/service wise, I'll just do Amazon.
    One thing to think about is that Google and Amazon let you upload unlimited photos to your drive. If much of your 500gb is photo files you may not need to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Any suggestions on a backup for about 1TB, on a really slow (20/2) DSL connection? I have a huge music library that I backup across four identical drives; I’d love to put it on the cloud, but my connection is so slow, it would take me forever to upload. Anyone solved this?
    Go into town and use someone's biz account at work, leaving yer laptop over the weekend maybe? Zip the files together before uploading, use FTP software?

Just let it trickle up at night and let it take however long it needs to take?

If your sole purpose is backup only storage and not constant access, look into amazon glaicer. Stupidly cheap.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

GoogleDrive here, but I’m looking for an alternative. For some stupid reason, it won’t let me exclude certain files from auto backup. Quickbooks files can’t be shared (at least not the way I have them set up); whenever GD tries to back them up, the originals get corrupted. Very annoying.
    You need to be doing the .QBB file Only (which is created in Quickbooks and checked as it is created for integrity)... Then of course when you copy it back locally you need to do the restore and once done backup again and transfer the newest version etc. Otherwise you run the Quickbooks MultiUser version on the Network (Windows PC or Server editions of Microsoft Server software) locally.

If you do not want to do any of that - then you need to go to Quickbooks Online version where the software and data is all in the cloud on their servers. Subscription of course needs to be kept current to use the Online version....

Never try and use Quickbooks off any 3rd party cloud service like the OP mentions, just asking for corruption and failure sooner rather than later and major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    If your sole purpose is backup only storage and not constant access, look into amazon glaicer. Stupidly cheap.
    Stupidly cheap until you need to retrieve data regularly (so restores) they charge higher amounts and are not as fast retrieving compared to the standard AWS service levels. So you are right if just for archive purposes and storage without regular access it is a very price competetive. There of course are some other competitive solutions for strictly backup and not syncing or cloud -Wasabi, Backblaze and a few others.

If the data does not change much then you can seed the data either by doing a slow during the heavy regular usage of the connection and then ramp up the transfer levels after bedtime for the data and just let it run for the week or whatever it takes to get the job done. Or you send them (or some companies will send you) a drive with the backup data so they locally seed the files off the drive you ship to them. Take one of the 4 drives with the latest data and ship it off, use the other 3 until they send the drive back to you to add into your regular rotation again....

I just have an external hard drive to back up my computer and large file storage. They're cheap and a one-time buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    One thing to think about is that Google and Amazon let you upload unlimited photos to your drive. If much of your 500gb is photo files you may not need to pay.
    You also may have options for increasing the free storage. Dropbox used to give you added storage bonuses for referrals of new customers as one example.

Microsoft OneDrive if you have Office 365 subscription boosts the storage up over the free offering limit. Office 365 Home and Student or Office 365 Business versions (multiple offerings from just the Business Essentials edition at $5 per month up to the Business Premium which included the Office Apps on up to 5 devices per user) both include 1TB of storage now. The Business Plans if more than 1 user can be combined also to be used for increased storage.

I think mailing a drive is my best option. My internet is shitty DSL on old Centurytel copper lines; I lose the connection a few times a day, which would interrupt the upload, and I'm not convinced it would resume without my input.