Remounting Kingpin toe only

I picked up a new pair of touring boots yesterday, Dalbello Lupo 130 C, to pair with my Kingpin/Moment Exit World setup. Supposedly they have the same BSL as my old boots, Dalbello Sherpa 5/5, but once I got them home I discovered they're actually about 5-10mm shorter. Luckily the adjustment is still within the range of my Kingpin track.

Is there any downside to simply remounting the toe pieces about 15-20mm back and adjusting the heels along the tracks? The only possible problem I see is the plastic AFD portion of the boot sole having less contact with the AFD on the brake since the brake's position is fixed. I was already thinking I might want to adjust the mount a little farther back, anyway, so I'm not concerned that the boot center would end up farther back than it was on my Sherpas. Thoughts? I will of course test ride them as-is to see if I actually want to screw with them at all.

You mean the two hard strips in the sole? I think those are more for power transfer than "anti friction." The main downside would be having extra holes in the ski. Depending on your BSL, there's a limit to how short you can go and get certain crampons to work.

edit to add: Why do you think you want to move the mount back?
    Last edited by gregL; 08-25-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You mean the two hard strips in the sole? I think those are more for power transfer than "anti friction." The main downside would be having extra holes in the ski. Depending on your BSL, there's a limit to how short you can go and get certain crampons to work.
    Ooh I didn't think about the crampons. Haven't needed to use them in the past, but I'd hate to lose that option. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    edit to add: Why do you think you want to move the mount back?
    Moment marked this model at core center, +/- 1cm, and +/- 2cm. I mounted at +2cm to facilitate riding switch. After being on them for a couple of seasons I feel like I could get a little more snap and a little less slop out of the skis with a slightly more traditional mount.

I think you only need to consider half of the 5-10mm shorter BSL, so wouldn't the new boot only be 2.5 - 5 mm forward of the boot center compared to the old boot ... so not alot ?

moving only the toe piece back would be pretty easy, get the toe piece mounted back & dead center on the ski by one screw only, when you lock the boot into the binding the toe piece pivots around that screw to find it's happy place so you can drill one more hole
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know