Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Phone Solicitation - Off the Charts

I'm getting 2-4 calls on the landline per day and similar on the cell.
    Mostly robocalls, but at least 25% loser solicitors.

Yes, I've been enrolled @ https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx for over 10 years, but it's having less of an effect.

I blame Trump and lack of regulation. I guess that makes me a "lefty" for all you brainless labelesians.
    And yeah, this is a special case of annoying.

More than annoying.

It's irritating.

Howaboutyouism?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

What's a landline?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Are they robocalling before allowable hours in your state?
    I have a buddy who lives in Utah but kept his Florida #. He was getting robocalls before allowed time in Utah. The robocalls uses time zone of area code. He contacted the company told them to stop. They continued. He filed small claims against them. Got a call from their lawyer asking what it takes to settle. He said $5k, they settled on $2500. $100 to file suit. $2400 in pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I wonder what changed? I used to get one or two a month; I got three yesterday (from Jamaica; WTF?) and three more today (spoofed numbers).

I was told you have to re enroll on the donotcall registry every 5 years. I did that and it makes no difference. I bet Dotard pulled the funding from that program too because.. "Murikkka!"

What's really annoying is when they spoof YOUR number to call others. Last week I had four different people call me within two hours saying they were returning a missed call from MY number. Didn't believe me when I tried to tell them I didn't call and explained the spoof scenario.

Then Mrs sumjong got a call from one that had spoofed HER number... she got a call from herself...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

It's to the point I can't answer my phone anymore unless i recognize the number, which sucks. Been going on for almost a year.

Last two calls I held on the line to talk someone, and politely asked for them to take my number off their list. One immediately hung up on me (the fucker). The other said sure, paused, then hung up on me. Both had Indian accents, they ain't a call center in the US is my guess. Had to try something different by talking to them...I bet congress members are getting hammered too, why isn't this solved yet?

I was solicited outside the Port Authority bus terminal once, but never on the phone.

Either way, I think it's best to say you're not interested lest it be a sting operation.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    What's really annoying is when they spoof YOUR number to call others. Last week I had four different people call me within two hours saying they were returning a missed call from MY number. Didn't believe me when I tried to tell them I didn't call and explained the spoof scenario.
    I had a guy text me at 6am, trying to get a hold of me because he missed a call from my number the day before.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I get lots of them from numbers that are very close to mine but not yet from mine... I'm not sure what the thinking is behind that tactic... I'll answer this call because it's two digits different from mine?

Nearly all of them are threatening IRS arrest warrants, or just leave voicemails in Chinese - I call those numbers back and recite Winnie the Pooh poems to them... fuckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

First it is not Trump at all, many of the robo calls come from outside the USA and FCC and the do not call laws can be ignored easily by those operations. Usually the best way to stop them is a NoMorobo or similar type of app on your cellular phone. For the land line, VoIP seems to reduce the robo dialers also greatly. It is the traditional LEC (Local Telephone companies) that are the worst as they do nothing at all. Do Not call also has some loop holes. If they are political then they can call, if they have had any type of business dealing with you- credit card companies, any online sign up or request for information, etc. then they can call and also it is not for commercial or business lines, pretty much only applies to home phones and residential.

As soon as they call and if they identify their company, you can request to be placed on the do not call (if it is a live voice or automated with a option for removal from their listing. However many say do not select the option to be placed on the do not call listing as that just confirms you are a live breathing person and puts you on more caller listings.

There are gadgets you can purchase that also try and screen and protect a traditional caller line.

My VoIP lines at the office get hardly any junk calls, compared to the traditional lines I have for and get the Google listings, credit card processing, Car warranty expired, business finance, refinancing/ consolidation of credit card debt, etc.

The other thing that is really on the rise is the Caller ID spoofing- using a local cellular number in their caller ID when in fact they are not local and could be someone's actual cell phone number or one not issued to anyone at the time even. More likely to pick it up compared to a toll free number, or some long distance number from outside your area.

Digitone Call Blocker Plus, Pro Call Blocker Version 2.2, and CPR Call Blocker V202 are some of the gadgets if an answering machine is not good enough for just screening.

I have an archer kind of voicemail which I find terribly amusing when family, friends, and business associates call me but I'll be damned if it doesn't trick a bunch of the the robocallers into leaving some garbled robomessages that I have to go in and erase. Still worth it though cuz I get some great lulz out of real people's messages once they realize I got em!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I haven't gotten a "legit" telemarketing call in years. Seems like only the spoofed calls get through, mostly with same area code and first 3 digits. Get a few of those a week. I used to get the IRS warrant out for your arrest call daily but I guess they dropped the charges. Got a call from Australia yesterday, but no message was left so not sure if real or spam. I never answer unless i recognize the caller and most spam callers don't leave a message, so they aren't a big deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    First it is not Trump at all, many of the robo calls come from outside the USA and FCC and the do not call laws can be ignored easily by those operations. .
    Bullshit, US Regulatory Agencies do have powers and capabilities to reduce or eliminate illegal traffic over cell and internet networks in addition to landlines. That's why we don't already have access to websites posting plans for 3D guns..

Police arrest alleged 'Nigerian prince' email scammer in Louisiana

21 Sentenced in Massive India-Based IRS Phone Scam Operation

I answered one of them yesterday, supposedly from Jamaica.

Me: Hello?
    Scammer: Hello! Do you remember entering the Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes?
    Me: No.
    Pause
    Scammer: How about the state lottery?
    Me: No.
    Longer pause.
    Hang up.

Do dumb fucks actually fall for this often enough for it to be worth a scammers time? I’m assuming YES, which makes me weep for humanity.

The nomorobo app has pretty much eliminated these calls for me on my cell.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The nomorobo app has pretty much eliminated these calls for me on my cell.
    I use Mr. Number, and it’s done a great job, up until this week. Not sure what changed.

yeah use an app on your cell. I use RobotKiller and with their most recent update (to get those spoofed home area code numbers) it's been outstanding. 100% this last ~10 days, which is probably 50+ calls, no errant blocks. I'd pay for it again just for kicks at this point.

for your landline, probably the museum staff can help shoulder some of the burden, or?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i’m ok with the calls. it’s some of the best adult conversation i have most any week. if i just let me be me they get pretty frustrated trying to figure out why they even called. i usually begin with the weather and naturally tell them how it is here. when they ask if i’m married i always respond with ‘so do you have kids’ and then begin explaining how my dog has an anal gland blockage and if they’ve ever had success with a warm compress or do they just squeeze that shit out? 5min of me just being me pretty much gets the point across, call ends and the box that says[luny tunes]is checked. good luck, buster
    It's all fun and games until you find out that they recorded the conversation and edited your words to make it sound like you agreed to some ridiculous transaction that shows up as a huge charge to your cell phone account..

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i’m ok with the calls. it’s some of the best adult conversation i have most any week. if i just let me be me they get pretty frustrated trying to figure out why they even called. i usually begin with the weather and naturally tell them how it is here. when they ask if i’m married i always respond with ‘so do you have kids’ and then begin explaining how my dog has an anal gland blockage and if they’ve ever had success with a warm compress or do they just squeeze that shit out? 5min of me just being me pretty much gets the point across, call ends and the box that says[luny tunes]is checked. good luck, buster
    Vibes about your anal gland.

Get that shit checked out... Gus had a tumor in one of his we had to get taken out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Bullshit, US Regulatory Agencies do have powers and capabilities to reduce or eliminate illegal traffic over cell and internet networks in addition to landlines. That's why we don't already have access to websites posting plans for 3D guns..

Police arrest alleged 'Nigerian prince' email scammer in Louisiana

21 Sentenced in Massive India-Based IRS Phone Scam Operation
    The first article arrest was in Louisiana, so that is US soil last I knew. And the 2nd did not touch the Indian based call center, but instead the 21 were again on US soil and arrested as being US accomplices "Times reports they resided in Illinois, Arizona, Florida, California, Alabama, Indiana, New Jersey, and Texas." So the Indian operation could start up with another round of scam calls with some more US calling minutes after the sentencing. The FCC did not shut down the Indian phone operation at all, and can't without assistance from the foreign government the calls are originating from. Any Nigerian scam via email or internet as well as calls from outside the USA can only be pursued from US soil or with cooperation of the Foreign Government mostly. Further more the idea that Trump has reduced the regulations (when again the 2nd article for the IRS scam clearly states it was for a period of 2012 to 2016, so long before Trump was sworn into office and in the Obama years...

It is like the drug war a drug ring from Mexico or Columbia is "shut down" because a few mules or delivery agents were arrested on the US soil.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    It is like the drug war a drug ring from Mexico or Columbia is "shut down" because a few mules or delivery agents were arrested on the US soil.
    It's more like being able to shut down drug cartel access via airlines and other transport companies and shut down internet and cell network access for known scammers. Doable with adequate resources.. But instead we're building a wall.. awesomesauce!

All we have to do is put plugs in the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah use an app on your cell. I use RobotKiller and with their most recent update (to get those spoofed home area code numbers) it's been outstanding. 100% this last ~10 days, which is probably 50+ calls, no errant blocks. I'd pay for it again just for kicks at this point.

for your landline, probably the museum staff can help shoulder some of the burden, or?
    I will have to look at that one. I got pissed one day and put an app on my phone that blocks ALL unknown numbers. I work midnight to noonish four days a week so I can't have my phone ringing all afternoon because these assholes are using computer banks to call every phone in the universe three times a day. Seriously even with a dumb blocker I haven't missed anything. People that need me will leave a voicemail or text.

Move your number to Google Voice, it does a pretty good job of blocking that stuff also. Put the app on your phone and then set up the cell phone to no ringer for any calls (since it is a new number that you will not be giving out to anyone ever, the calls will be 100% junk, because all you outgoing calls and texts you send will be seen as Google Voice number when done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Do dumb fucks actually fall for this often enough for it to be worth a scammers time? I’m assuming YES, which makes me weep for humanity.
    About once a month I have to wipe a computer for somebody that got scammed. They have no problem giving these callers access to their computer and credit card information. Most of my customers are considered smart and had to spend a lot of time in college. Last one I cleaned up the FTC recovered 10 million from the scammer https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...ound-consumers