Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

What 29er am I looking for?

I'm debating a second bike, on sale for labor day hopefully, or most likely used. I own a 2015 Giant Reign with a rear coil, I'd like something quite different than this. My Giant has really bad front wheel wheel flop climbing anything with a decent pitch, is about 34 pounds and is not fun on long climbs, perfectly fine on short climbs (about 1500~ vert). Very fun going down of course. Definitely keeping this bike for a bit.

Is there a class of 29ers that are around 26-28 pounds, not $$$$$$$$$, climbs like a goat and descends, well, decently? I once had a SC Blur LT, I think it was about 26 pounds, from 2008, and am wondering if there is a nice modern (aka much better) version of that in a 29er that are common and I can swoop up as people sell their bikes to buy ski gear this fall.

Any advice on a front fork? I have a pike now, love it, but I don't want another bike with one, and I don't want to get a crappy front fork, I'll notice that more than anything. That's one main thing I'm leery of compromising when getting a lighter bike.

How much is $$$$$$$? And why not another Pike? Most 29er trail bikes in that weight range will either come with a PIke or Fox 34.

You've got a ton of choices, so I'll just mention the obvious and suggest a Giant AnthemX. Same Maestro suspension as your Reign, but lighter and a better climber. I've got an older one, and after swapping out the wheels and putting on a 120mm fork, it's quite capable up and down. I've got a burlier bike similar to your Reign for burlier rides, but the AnthemX is my all-day bike. One caveat; I cracked my first one, but the replacement is holding up fine, and at 200 lbs, I'm hard on frames. No advice on a fork except to get a good one. That doesn't meant bells & whistles, just solid, dependable & capable.

As Zion wrote: what's too much $$$$$$?

Giant Trance in AL?
    How about the new Trek Remedy or shorter travel Fuel?

It's gonna be hard to beat Giant on a low $$$$ build.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Weight should be at the bottom of your list, with geometry and components at the top.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yeah, Giant is a good choice, the lifetime frame warranty was what sold it for me when I got my wife her bike.

What about a YT Jeffsy 29 if you want something different?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

If you can wait a bit, I'll be selling my demo bikes around the end of September (or a little after).... Spot Mayhem 29er and the Ibis Ripley LS both fit what you want. They both have factory-level Fox 34's on the front.

1) If you're looking for something substantially different, I'd be looking at ~120 mm travel 29ers. Evil following, transition smuggler, devinci django, etc. I think you'd be surprised how capable those things are.

2) I think your avoidance of a pike is a bad idea. Aside from the fact that it's by far the most common fork, I'd also argue its the best one on the market for anything under 150mm travel.

3) I wouldn't get too hung up on weight, but for the shorter travel rigs, you won't have too much trouble getting one that's not a tank. 26lbs is gonna be $$$ though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    How much is $$$$$$$? And why not another Pike? Most 29er trail bikes in that weight range will either come with a PIke or Fox 34.
    I thought Pikes were only on long travel enduro bikes, I guess I should read up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    You've got a ton of choices, so I'll just mention the obvious and suggest a Giant AnthemX. Same Maestro suspension as your Reign, but lighter and a better climber. I've got an older one, and after swapping out the wheels and putting on a 120mm fork, it's quite capable up and down. I've got a burlier bike similar to your Reign for burlier rides, but the AnthemX is my all-day bike. One caveat; I cracked my first one, but the replacement is holding up fine, and at 200 lbs, I'm hard on frames. No advice on a fork except to get a good one. That doesn't meant bells & whistles, just solid, dependable & capable.
    There a few used ones in my size around here, thanks for the advice. Do you have a monarch FF on it?

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    As Zion wrote: what's too much $$$$$$?

Giant Trance in AL?
    How about the new Trek Remedy or shorter travel Fuel?

It's gonna be hard to beat Giant on a low $$$$ build.
    Trance is too close to my Reign, I think. Forget sale bikes new, I'm now going used with a budget of $2500 tops.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Weight should be at the bottom of your list, with geometry and components at the top.
    Yeah, that's how I got myself a Reign though, ha. Maybe geo should be above weight, but what would be good geo compromise, for climbing over descending?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Yeah, Giant is a good choice, the lifetime frame warranty was what sold it for me when I got my wife her bike.

What about a YT Jeffsy 29 if you want something different?
    Not sure if I could find a used one but I'll look out for one.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If you can wait a bit, I'll be selling my demo bikes around the end of September (or a little after).... Spot Mayhem 29er and the Ibis Ripley LS both fit what you want. They both have factory-level Fox 34's on the front.
    Ah, a bit late.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    for the shorter travel rigs, you won't have too much trouble getting one that's not a tank
    The alloy Smuggler could be considered an exception. It'd still be my first choice in the list of short travel 29ers, though.

1) If you're looking for something substantially different, I'd be looking at ~120 mm travel 29ers. Evil following, transition smuggler, devinci django, etc. I think you'd be surprised how capable those things are.
    Like this bike?

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53136950

Edit: it's a 27.5, probably shouldn't be a deal breaker for me tho?

The alloy Smuggler could be considered an exception. It'd still be my first choice in the list of short travel 29ers, though.
    True. Haven't ridden the new version, but it looks like a ton of fun. Still annoyed it doesn't come in a "grape" color though.

Couple extra dollars and you can get new:

https://www.evo.com/shop/bike/bikes/...s_savings-desc

I'd gladly spend $65 extra dollars for the warranty:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/...lime-green.jpg

I'd jump on this:
    https://www.evo.com/mountain/devinci...-complete-bike

I've never ridden a Devinci, but I found the split-pivot on Salsa's Horsethief pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Like this bike?

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53136950

Edit: it's a 27.5, probably shouldn't be a deal breaker for me tho?
    I'd probably hold out for the 29er. On those shorter travel rigs, I think the bigger wheels matter more - they help roll over stuff, which sort of makes up for the lack of suspension. It's like you get the benefits of less travel (more efficient, poppier) but also get some of the plowiness of a bigger bike.

So with that category, there's kind of a spectrum of more xc-ish to more dh-ish. You'd have to figure out where you wanted to land on that spectrum, but I'd put the django roughly in the middle, maybe slightly tipped towards the dh side. Evil following and transition smuggler would be more dh-ish. Something like a specialized camber or yeti 4.5 would be more xc-ish.

Couple extra dollars and you can get new:

https://www.evo.com/shop/bike/bikes/...s_savings-desc

I'd gladly spend $65 extra dollars for the warranty:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/...lime-green.jpg
    thanks, there's some good prices on there!

I'd probably hold out for the 29er. On those shorter travel rigs, I think the bigger wheels matter more - they help roll over stuff, which sort of makes up for the lack of suspension. It's like you get the benefits of less travel (more efficient, poppier) but also get some of the plowiness of a bigger bike.

So with that category, there's kind of a spectrum of more xc-ish to more dh-ish. You'd have to figure out where you wanted to land on that spectrum, but I'd put the django roughly in the middle, maybe slightly tipped towards the dh side. Evil following and transition smuggler would be more dh-ish. Something like a specialized camber or yeti 4.5 would be more xc-ish.

Gotcha on the 29 advice, thanks. Django seems like a good compromise to me, I can test ride one, I hope, friday. A bit heavier than I would hope, but a test ride will see if that matters.

The smuggler carbon is 30 pounds, so the GX and NX must be 32-34 pounds. I can't do that, that's not the bike I'm looking for.

Gotcha on the 29 advice, thanks. Django seems like a good compromise to me, I can test ride one, I hope, friday. A bit heavier than I would hope, but a test ride will see if that matters.
    Just edited to add the Django from Evo...in case you didn't notice:

The smuggler carbon is 30 pounds, so the GX and NX must be 32-34 pounds. I can't do that, that's not the bike I'm looking for.
    Yeah, the devinci's aren't the lightest, but you get a lifetime warranty. I really liked the django 29 that I rode. Not a mini dh bike like the smuggler, but still pretty damn capable.

Yeah, that's how I got myself a Reign though, ha. Maybe geo should be above weight, but what would be good geo compromise, for climbing over descending?
    Is it a bear to climb because of the weight, or is it because of the geo? Geo has changed a lot in a few years, and steep ST angles make a big difference in not feeling like you're hanging off the back of the bike, wheelie-ing up climbs. I feel like the recent geo trend seriously benefits climbing. The compromises, to me, are more related to maneuverability and handling, particularly at lower speeds.

I totally understand the desire to keep weight down. It's not something I care a lot about, but plenty of people do, and there are definitely lighter options available. But, as toast pointed out, you might have to pay for the lower weight (in dollars or durability), especially if you want to get down to the mid 20s.

If you are considering 27.5, check out this price. I would run the serial "

https://wyoming.craigslist.org/bik/d...673274770.html
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yeah, the devinci's aren't the lightest, but you get a lifetime warranty. I really liked the django 29 that I rode. Not a mini dh bike like the smuggler, but still pretty damn capable.

If your concern about weight is climbing and you keep the Reign for sleddy stuff, you can always keep your eyes peeled for a lighter wheelset or lighter tires (sacrilege, I know). The rotating weight is going to make a much larger difference than the frame and fork.

Just edited to add the Django from Evo...in case you didn't notice:

Thanks, that's a deep discount!

Going up was good?

Specialized Camber looks to be 30 pounds in the carbon version, so that's out. Used prices are decent though. But if I'm going to get a bike that is more XC, it better be closer to 25 pounds, ha.

Is it a bear to climb because of the weight, or is it because of the geo? Geo has changed a lot in a few years, and steep ST angles make a big difference in not feeling like you're hanging off the back of the bike, wheelie-ing up climbs. I feel like the recent geo trend seriously benefits climbing. The compromises, to me, are more related to maneuverability and handling, particularly at lower speeds.

I totally understand the desire to keep weight down. It's not something I care a lot about, but plenty of people do, and there are definitely lighter options available. But, as toast pointed out, you might have to pay for the lower weight (in dollars or durability), especially if you want to get down to the mid 20s.
    I think it's the weight and geo combo. The geo def is the problem on uphills, my handelbars twitch and shake like an alcoholic going through withdrawals. it just won't go straight. I feel on long uphills that are not steep at all it really is the weight, not the geo. But I really need to ride a modern bike to know what you mean.

What 29er am I looking for?

IMO, Giant really f’d up the 2018 reign. Not that it rides bad, but they could have made it a better climber. They chose to keep the seat tube angle at 73, and had to lose a ton of sales over it. I know I was interested in one, but didnt buy because of that seat tube.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Going up was good?
    Yeah, it's a solid climber. There are other short-ish travel 29ers I've ridden that feel a bit snappier (yeti 4.5, for example), but those gave up more ground on the descent. Django 29 is a super solid all-arounder, and it's definitely a better climber than the Evils or Transitions. I guess that all comes with the caveat that I'm a minor Devinci fanboy - I just think the suspension design works well, and I tend to get along with almost every bike they make.

Evo has the carbon Django's on sale too:
    https://www.evo.com/mountain/devinci...xoC-FIQAvD_BwE

I rode that same bike in the prior year and it weighed in at 29.7 lbs (w/o pedals, size medium). I bet that one's about the same.

Yeah, it's a solid climber. There are other short-ish travel 29ers I've ridden that feel a bit snappier (yeti 4.5, for example), but those gave up more ground on the descent. Django 29 is a super solid all-arounder, and it's definitely a better climber than the Evils or Transitions. I guess that all comes with the caveat that I'm a minor Devinci fanboy - I just think the suspension design works well, and I tend to get along with almost every bike they make.
    As I noted: I've never tried a Devinci, but am a fan of split-pivot on Salsa's...and the Salsa's climb quite well. I imagine they're implemented similarly; Toast can prolly correct me if I'm wrong.