Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks Toast. I'll demo one tonight or tomorrow if the local shop has one available in my size. It'll be over 30 as I probably need a L or Xl, but if it's got the new-cool-hot geo for climbing, maybe it won't matter. Dropper post is about 770 grams, I could knock out about a half pound with a different dropper post.....

I'll try to demo a more XC bike same-day to see if that's what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    As I noted: I've never tried a Devinci, but am a fan of split-pivot on Salsa's...and the Salsa's climb quite well. I imagine they're implemented similarly; Toast can prolly correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yup, I'm with you. I think the Salsa's are rad bikes too. The Horsethief would be another bike in this category worth looking at, and fairly similar to the Django (although maybe a little more XC-ish feeling). Maybe a bit lighter too.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Dropper post is about 770 grams, I could knock out about a half pound with a different dropper post.....
    Yeah, those FSA droppers are apparently made out of lead. Swap that and get yourself into something with 150mm drop.

I think any of the new 120-140 rear 29ers will make you sell your reign as they will be better at everything. If you actually want something different I would go am hardtail. Lots of options in the category with ~66-68* head angles on 130ish forks.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Just edited to add the Django from Evo...in case you didn't notice:

https://www.evo.com/mountain/devinci...-complete-bike
    I literally just bought this bike. Haven’t gotten out on it yet, but plan to ride a lot this weekend and can report back.

I did demo the carbon version back in May and really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I think any of the new 120-140 rear 29ers will make you sell your reign as they will be better at everything. If you actually want something different I would go am hardtail. Lots of options in the category with ~66-68* head angles on 130ish forks.
    I don't want to replace my reign, i want to get something for longer rides. I'd be shocked if any 120-140 rear 29ers would make me want to replace it in Moab, Deer Valley, etc. It also has a Cane Creek Coil in the back, so it's a hoot going down if it's steep.

Sell your Reign, get a Transition Sentinel, Santa Cruz Hightower LT, YT Capra 29", or Yeti SB 55 and have the do everything bike that you don't have to get used to every few rides.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I have a rune with a cc dB coil on it. Like a mini dh bike with that coil on
    It and a 180 fork. Other bike is a transition scout. You’re looking for big sizes so 9er makes sense for what you want if for. Great deal in the Django . Looked at that sale a few times. Jensen bikes has a sale on Kona process 111. I like the dl version. Won’t be under 30lbs though I don’t think

Take a look at the Rocky Instinct. Comes in ALU to save a few bucks and still weighs in reasonable. 140/140. Pretty even bias between peddly and raily on the dh. I like mine a lot. First time I've been truly content in a while. Can run it 27.5+ if you really want.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If you can wait a bit, I'll be selling my demo bikes around the end of September (or a little after).... Spot Mayhem 29er and the Ibis Ripley LS both fit what you want. They both have factory-level Fox 34's on the front.
    This ^ (Spot Mayhem). I have yet to ride a bike that can both climb AND descend like the Mayhem.

This ad is killing me. It would make me sell my reign and be a one-bike for me, if it's as great as people say.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53324766

focus....focus....must resist.

This ad is killing me. It would make me sell my reign and be a one-bike for me, if it's as great as people say.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53324766

focus....focus....must resist.
    What year Reign do you have?

I picked up a used 2015 Ripley LS for a good price to be exactly what you're describing. I ride it 80% of the time now. It screams uphill and really only gets overwhelmed in the very fast/rough. I grab the Range for the steeper local trails or squam/whis/pemby.

What 29er am I looking for?

Just to note, unless you’re spending big bucks or going with a pretty XC-oriented build, a mid-travel 29er is going to be in the realm of 30 lbs. With big wheels comes extra weight in rims and tires. Also, I bet your 08 Blur didn’t have a dropper post, which adds about a pound.

But the 30 lb bike will climb just fine. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Just to note, unless you’re spending big bucks or going with a pretty XC-oriented build, a mid-travel 29er is going to be in the realm of 30 lbs. With big wheels comes extra weight in rims and tires. Also, I bet your 08 Blur didn’t have a dropper post, which adds about a pound.

Good info, i was def wondering what i want is realistic!

Thanks guys to narrowing it down to 10+ bikes, ha.

Good info, i was def wondering what i want is realistic!

Thanks guys to narrowing it down to 10+ bikes, ha.
    Perhaps check out:

^^ those guys have nailed the numbers on all their bikes. I want one except for the Canadian dollar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2285.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	244938

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post

Yeah I was gonna say at $2500 budget even getting to 28 lbs complete build weight will be tricky, you'd be looking at used 29" carbon bikes that are 2 generations behind current geo/suspension designs to make the weight work for your budget. Like maybe a used Tallboy or a used Ripley with really good build could be had in that price range, but then you're not getting the full benefit of the most recent geo & linkage updates.

Pushing your weight budget up to 29 lbs and then going used 1-generation behind current geo & linkage might be your best bet, I bet you can get a decent condition used Hightower or Ripley.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

No love the EVO’s? I absolutely love mine. Yeah, no way he finds a 27 pound bike at the level.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I think the new 76 degree seat tube angles on modern bikes hides a pound or two on the climbs. If that even makes any sense. I’m climbing much easier on my 34lb Sentinel, than my old 30lb 2010 Reign.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There is at least one carbon horsethief on pinkbike in your price range once you do the conversion from Canadian pesos. Those horsethiefs run large from my experience. I am 6' with a 34" inseam and the large was just a touch large. A shorter stem would have helped...

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    There is at least one carbon horsethief on pinkbike in your price range once you do the conversion from Canadian pesos. Those horsethiefs run large from my experience. I am 6' with a 34" inseam and the large was just a touch large. A shorter stem would have helped...

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I’d avoid....while I like how they ride, Salsa has been having a frame cracking problem. No warranty = no bueno!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I'm debating a second bike, on sale for labor day hopefully, or most likely used. I own a 2015 Giant Reign with a rear coil, I'd like something quite different than this. My Giant has really bad front wheel wheel flop climbing anything with a decent pitch, is about 34 pounds and is not fun on long climbs, perfectly fine on short climbs (about 1500~ vert). Very fun going down of course. Definitely keeping this bike for a bit.

Is there a class of 29ers that are around 26-28 pounds, not $$$$$$$$$, climbs like a goat and descends, well, decently? I once had a SC Blur LT, I think it was about 26 pounds, from 2008, and am wondering if there is a nice modern (aka much better) version of that in a 29er that are common and I can swoop up as people sell their bikes to buy ski gear this fall.

Any advice on a front fork? I have a pike now, love it, but I don't want another bike with one, and I don't want to get a crappy front fork, I'll notice that more than anything. That's one main thing I'm leery of compromising when getting a lighter bike.
    If yer other bike is a DH or an xc race bike maybe yer idea is a good one but don't see any point in owning 2 bikes that are so close in spec cuz yer just gona end up riding the 29 er all the time anyhow so get rid of the reign now ... instead of realizing i was right next year

I got fox 36/fox rear shock/fox seatpost on a yeti 5.5 and I'm pretty impressed with how well the Fox stuff works, same with Shimano brakes & der, I can recommend the yeti product but even their entry level spec is dentist $$$$ territory and there isn't much room to move on their margins
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know