Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I don’t know that it’s always true. For example: a lot of spends cranks, handlebars and stems are carbon....and they break a lot.

I’d actually trust a carbon frame before some carbon cranks....lookin at you RaceFace! And I still use my fifteen year old Deda Newton AL bar and stem....I’ve used it on three AL frames (cracked at weld) and one carbon frame.

I do agree that metal is better at impacts like rocks.

Since you’re going front range: look at Guerilla Gravity.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yes, I was thinking sixc or nextr cranks with the pedal insets. Definite no on SRAM carbon cranks. I’d have more faith in race face giving crash replacement than any frame company but I still wouldn’t risk it on sl’s
    I never said carbon bars, I like my rental aluminium but there’s lots of quality aluminium bars that may fit people better. I do have carbon rentals on my trail bike though but I’m comfortable with them there, torqued to spec and minimal drops to flat or general abuse
    I’ve also cracked an aluminium frame but that’s one in 30 and I definitely hear a lot of issues on carbon and headaches with pretty much every company. Strange as well is that sometimes companies just replace without question than lots of other times they don’t even offer crash replacement when it’s an outright warrantee issue
    Agree on guerilla gravity. I like their numbers and design the most without having a lot of knowledge on the company. I keep going back and looking at them. Numbers suck me in because they hit what I’m after over everything else then I convert cad to usd . Sooo nice though. I want a mega most

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Giant has been making both high-end bikes and budget bikes since the early 90's. Maybe even the late 80's. That Warp was a P.O.S.
    Yeah...it was pretty bad. Luckily, it was only a 7 mile ride in. The suspension was bad enough that I could not stand up and pedal at all with the pack on.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Haha ya warp is one aluminium bike I have seen pulled into 2 pieces. It was the original square tubed one. They were incredibly cheap in price though. They had a market as a light duty comfortable entry level trail bike a lonnnng time ago. Much better options now. Definitely not recommended to do a 12-15 step stair drop to flat sidewalk with a burly dh fork.it did do a lot before that catastrophic failure though

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Out of curiosity from someone not in the MTB scene...is this a common occurrence with the new generation of carbon full suspension bikes?
    I think most of the failures in that vid were aluminium, I've broke an aluminium Gary fisher, I remember junior peaking over the top of a dirt jump holding 2 halves of a Devinci, cracked a chain stay on a Brodie we got warranty on all of them

they can all break I think it depends on how hard you use them

giant would be a good bike, they make frames for other companies
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What 29er am I looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Agree on guerilla gravity. I like their numbers and design the most without having a lot of knowledge on the company. I keep going back and looking at them. Numbers suck me in because they hit what I’m after over everything else then I convert cad to usd . Sooo nice though. I want a mega most
    I mentioned bc they’re great at customer service, they make them right in Denver (so he’d have local support), they stand behind their product, and you can get a TrailPistol under 30# with a little effort .

If carbon is your jam: look at Spot (also front rangey). Samokken swears by both the Rollik and the Mayhem. They got a sale right now too.

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I mentioned bc they’re great at customer service, they make them right in Denver (so he’d have local support), they stand behind their product, and you can get a TrailPistol under 30# with a little effort .

If carbon is your jam: look at Spot (also front rangey). Samokken swears by both the Rollik and the Mayhem. They got a sale right now too.

That’s good to hear. GG are not huge so you don’t hear a ton but I heard good reports on them. Their budget build was a really good price and nothing on it for parts that would concern me. I really like the two travel options on the mega. 150/165 would suit both my main uses with a 170 fork. A sale eh.............

That’s good to hear. GG are not huge so you don’t hear a ton but I heard good reports on them. Their budget build was a really good price and nothing on it for parts that would concern me. I really like the two travel options on the mega. 150/165 would suit both my main uses with a 170 fork. A sale eh.............
    Another bonus: I don’t want to say the builds are mere suggestions, but they’ll change stuff around and give you options that aren’t necessarily in the drop down menu.

Another bonus: I don’t want to say the builds are mere suggestions, but they’ll change stuff around and give you options that aren’t necessarily in the drop down menu.

I’m not seeing any sale prices on their site. Was that from an email?

What 29er am I looking for?

I’m not seeing any sale prices on their site. Was that from an email?
    The sale is for Spot...not GG.
    https://spotbrand.com/collections/bikes

The sale is for Spot...not GG.
    https://spotbrand.com/collections/bikes

Has ok thanks. Got a little hyped I guess. Saw gg and sale and lost all focus. Probably for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Hot dayum... might have to switch career paths!

I saw this awhile back on Bikepacking.com. Drool worthy for sure:

http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/sal...jack-ti-build/

I'd pull the trigger on a timberjack if they had a stock model with 29x2.6 or 2.8 tires/wheels and wider rims. The base 29 model has 2.25 tires on i23 rims, vs. having to swap wheels on a 650b version then puts you closer to $2k. Maybe 2019??
    Wow, I spoke to soon! New Gx eagle and stock with 29 x 2.6 tires!

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...ck_nx_eagle_29

2020 Bump - I've got a strong interest in all these short-travel 29ers hitting the market. Curious to hear who has been on them a bit or has made the transition.

I've been on a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010c for four seasons and it's been a solid all around bike, but I'd like a lighter bike (mine's 32lbs) and something with a bit more climbing efficiency. My bike has 130mm Sektor front and 130mm Fox rear, so "short travel" wont be a big change. The new Tallboy v4 seems like the easiest step in this direction, but something lighter like the new Transition Spur really gets me intruiged. I'm riding mostly traditional singletrack at 8-10,000'.

I've ridden the Rocky Mountain Element, Spot Ryve, Trek Fuel, and the Scott Spark. A couple of Niners also.

All are great bikes especially with a premium wheelset. The new Transition is great looking but not some revolution in XC bikes.

A 27 lb 29er with a 120mm fork is an absolute ripper. There are so many out there.

Good luck and have $6000 ready to drop to get that ripper.

My new Ripley just arrived today. I spent last week in Oakridge on the new Following. Can attempt to compare after a couple days on the Ibis but I think they both rip.
    These bikes are so much fun. Lots of good choices in the category. I was also looking at the SC but not able to demo and wanted to support my local shop.
    Good luck, not cheap but super fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think Pinkbike is coming out soon with a comparison of 9 of these "downcountry" short travel 29ers.

I am waiting to see what Rocky comes out with for ‘21 before deciding on what to replace my sb100 with...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am waiting to see what Rocky comes out with for ‘21 before deciding on what to replace my sb100 with...
    ^This....

I'm thinking the suspension on the new bikes is so good, alot of the new engineered/manmade trails are so much better that i could have got away with a shorter travel 29
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I think Pinkbike is coming out soon with a comparison of 9 of these "downcountry" short travel 29ers.
    Sweet, yeah just spotted that in their Spur initial review.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Has anyone ridden the newer Django 29? I'm looking at a used one from 2020 to complement my Pivot Firebird. I'm looking for something fast and efficient but still good on the descents. There doesn't seem to be all that much written about the Django online.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

I have a 2018 Devinci Marshall carbon 29er for my short travel suspension bike. The Django has a little more rear travel (120 vs 110) and a little more reach, but otherwise I think it's pretty close. I like it - it's pretty neutral feeling and efficient, and laterally stiff. Rear tire clearance is tight on the Marshall, because it was originally a 27.5+ design.

I liked the split pivot suspension enough to buy a longer travel bike with that same design - the Salsa Blackthorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.