Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: What 29er am I looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Maybe this has been addressed...

27.5 plus is essentially the same diameter as a 29. Except you get stupid heavy tires with momentum killing pressures. Having taken a couple bikes out that you can switch the wheels on I don’t understand why people bother with anything but 29.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They give a cushy ride and they offer more cornering traction as long as you don't push them hard.

They're not for me, but I kinda get why people like them. I mean, people ride fat bikes on dry trails too. I never figured that one out though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m an absolute bike newb, but I bought a 27.5+ hardtail thinking it was the most durable decent trail bike I could find for less than $1k used.

What 29er am I looking for?

Plus tires make the most sense on hardtails, that’s where they shine.

You got a good bike SJ, enjoy it!

What 29er am I looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    They give a cushy ride and they offer more cornering traction as long as you don't push them hard.

They're not for me, but I kinda get why people like them. I mean, people ride fat bikes on dry trails too. I never figured that one out though.

I tried a Hightower 27+ with 2.8 Rekons in Vermont this week, my first plus bike experience. I agree with your description based on the setup I rode. They gave a ton of confidence at lower speeds but I had no idea when they were going to give out on me and had a few scary moments in corners.

But what about a more aggressive plus tire like a Minion 2.8? Can they be pushed harder in corners? I’d think they’d have a whole lot of ultimate bite rather than feeling like round balloons like the Rekons.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I tried a Hightower 27+ with 2.8 Rekons in Vermont this week, my first plus bike experience. I agree with your description based on the setup I rode. They gave a ton of confidence at lower speeds but I had no idea when they were going to give out on me and had a few scary moments in corners.

But what about a more aggressive plus tire like a Minion 2.8? Can they be pushed harder in corners? I’d think they’d have a whole lot of ultimate bite rather than feeling like round balloons like the Rekons.
    Yeah, more traction for sure, but they still fold over in corners and feel squirmy and shitty. You can run higher pressures, but then they bounce off of everything. And they roll sloooooow.

I almost like the less knobby plus tires better. They roll faster, and they drift before the sidewall starts to buckle.

Bc it’s the only bike I currently own....but that’s why I’m in the market it’s fun....but not even close to ideal for a one bike setup. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I know I'm gonna get shit for this but...

In the market for a hardtail 29. Current steel 27.5plus frame has a semi-rideable bent dropout and is not really worth replacing as most of the part specs are now 'outdated'. As a general fan of steel bikes, I've been eyeing up a Surly Krampus for a few years and they just released a new colorway w/ an updated parts spec that seems better and pricewise is solid. I'm 6'3" with lanky limbs and really like the 29 option on longer rides as well as plus tires to absorb some bumps rather than spending more on full suspension.

Here is the criteria I'm looking for: Hardtail 29er with ability to clear a 2.8-3" tire, dropper compatible, ideally front susp (although rigid with an eventual upgrade is possible), geometry that's a good balance between ripping trails as well as good long-day comfort. Under $2k, weight not really an issue, and a lot of frame space/braze-ons for bike bags. Most local riding involves moderate singletrack with roots, small drops, rocks, PNW dirt. A lot of my local trails involve 5-10 mile gravel climbs with singletrack descents. Pretty fast climber and I enjoy gravel roads, fairly confident on descents but not fast by any means. Not big into the downhill jumping enduro scene either. I also bikepack and have done some shorter overnight trips, really want to get into some longer distance, endurance type rides (i.e. Oregon timber trail or Tour Divide next summer if time permits). Also, there's a decent chance I'll be relocating to Tucson in another 1-1.5yrs...

My only skepticism with the Krampus is the stock rigid set up (I'd want a squish fork for local riding) and not totally wanting to drop additional cash on a susp fork. Weight obviously not a huge issue but for longer tours I'm not quite sure how it would compare in terms of comfort and weight savings to something like a Salsa woodsmoke, cutthroat (obviously different bike with drop bars), etc.

Realistically I probably should only drop under $1500 but a lot of new hardtails in that range skimp on thru axles, cheap fork, brakes, etc (more base model Timberjack, Big Honzo). Either they come spec'ed with narrow 29er or 27.5plus tires, neither of which I'd stick with. I don't mind buying used but kind of realized with my current bike (that I got used) I've definitely spent more money over time replacing worn parts.

I can't say I've been paying super close attention to that segment of the market, but I wouldn't think there are all that many frames out there that can fit a 29 x 3" tire.

Maybe check out a Trek Stache?

Well, my quest ended with this used Orbea Occam TR. I cancelled my Django order from Evo. Brand new Enve M60HV rims, Eagle drivetrain, weighs about 25 pounds. I took it for a small test ride yesterday, but I have a twisted ankle so I couldn't rally it. Feels great but might be a touch small but I gotta go for a long ride and get used to the geo though. Might be fine. A new seat is all it needs, although I'm unsure I'll like the rear tire. Was $300 over budget, got it for 2800. Kinda psyched but I can't ride for at least a week as I heal.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike-new.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	245922

https://dirtragmag.com/first-ride-sa...erjack-27plus/

Salsa Timber jack ^^ a friend has one setup with cushy + tires, it takes 27.5 or 29 or plus and the replaceable dropouts mean you can also set it up SS.

this is a good artical for you to read because it speaks to whats in that genre
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I can't say I've been paying super close attention to that segment of the market, but I wouldn't think there are all that many frames out there that can fit a 29 x 3" tire.

Maybe check out a Trek Stache?
    Good call! My friend just picked up a used Stache and it seems like a rad bike. My only overly picky gripes are the limited size front triangle and aesthetically fugly elevated chainstay. I'd love to hear more feedback though from others as my friend is totally new to mtn biking.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://dirtragmag.com/first-ride-sa...erjack-27plus/

Salsa Timber jack ^^ a friend has one setup with cushy + tires, it takes 27.5 or 29 or plus and the replaceable dropouts mean you can also set it up SS.

this is a good artical for you to read because it speaks to whats in that genre
    Thanks for the link! I see REI currently has a sale on Timberjacks...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Well, my quest ended with this used Orbea Occam TR. I cancelled my Django order from Evo. Brand new Enve M60HV rims, Eagle drivetrain, weighs about 25 pounds. I took it for a small test ride yesterday, but I have a twisted ankle so I couldn't rally it. Feels great but might be a touch small but I gotta go for a long ride and get used to the geo though. Might be fine. A new seat is all it needs, although I'm unsure I'll like the rear tire. Was $300 over budget, got it for 2800. Kinda psyched but I can't ride for at least a week as I heal.....

That looks like a pretty damn good deal.

Ya thats a good find!

Check out their website, Timberjack even comes in Ti but you will have to do lotsa root canals
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That looks like a pretty damn good deal.
    Nice. Let us know how it works out!

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Check out their website, Timberjack even comes in Ti but you will have to do lotsa root canals
    Hot dayum... might have to switch career paths!

I saw this awhile back on Bikepacking.com. Drool worthy for sure:

http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/sal...jack-ti-build/

I'd pull the trigger on a timberjack if they had a stock model with 29x2.6 or 2.8 tires/wheels and wider rims. The base 29 model has 2.25 tires on i23 rims, vs. having to swap wheels on a 650b version then puts you closer to $2k. Maybe 2019??

This isn’t a bad deal:

Name:  IMG_9979.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  90.7 KB

2018 Trek Fuel EX 8 29 with GX 1x12 Eagle Drivetrain,
    Converted Tubeless, and an internal dropper seat post.
    Size 15.5", 17.5", 21.5"
    Regular price: $3,300
    SALE PRICE: $2,300

Pm if you want details; it’s a friend’s bike shop year-end clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Nice. Let us know how it works out!

Thanks, will do.

Sick deal. That thing is loaded!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

No ti spindles on the pedals, I wouldn’t ride that, despite the 70% off. Curious though. Where do you shop?

Ha, those pedals are mine, with a shit-fucked ankle I need them to test-ride it. The bike was used (just the rims are new from a recent warranty by the previous owner), when you ask where I shop did you think it was all new??

I will say shopping on KSL.com in the fall is full of great used deals every year, especially if you ride a medium. Tons of options.

Ha, those pedals are mine, with a shit-fucked ankle I need them to test-ride it. The bike was used (just the rims are new from a recent warranty by the previous owner), when you ask where I shop did you think it was all new??

I will say shopping on KSL.com in the fall is full of great used deals every year, especially if you ride a medium. Tons of options.
    At that price I figured it must be used. Crazy good price. Thing is dialed. A looker too. Looks like it fits what you were after

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    This isn’t a bad deal:

Name:  IMG_9979.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  90.7 KB

2018 Trek Fuel EX 8 29 with GX 1x12 Eagle Drivetrain,
    Converted Tubeless, and an internal dropper seat post.
    Size 15.5", 17.5", 21.5"
    Regular price: $3,300
    SALE PRICE: $2,300

Pm if you want details; it’s a friend’s bike shop year-end clearance.
    Damn that’s the bike I’ve been looking for a deal on. Too bad those sizes won’t work for me.

^^^ PM for details; if you contact the shop owner, he might be able to help you out.

@muted - nice find. I think you did really well for your budget.