Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Ya I think he left out some analysis in the 29 vs 27.5 discussion as well. Roll up isn’t everything. 29 rolls faster. I like the roll up % stats though. My post wasn’t meant to be trolling or Pooh poohing on people’s bike , just adding data to go along with my recent attraction to hsp bikes. It is a balance between rider/leg height, wheelsize, bike category, trail , cornering, flat out speed. Not saying 9ers can’t corner either. I thought 9ers were shit until recently, now that geo is generally pretty dialed. I just don’t have enough of a use for one for what I want to do
    I should give a recent example. Watching that loose dog Lewis guy. Fun watch, shreds pretty hard and really likes to get creative with his jibbing on trail. He still kills it on a 9er but he’s a little dude and the struggle, despite his ability to do cool stuff, is apparent. Again just recent and still stuck in my pea brain

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    X’r you sound like a butt hurt 9er owner. Idk or care what people use or want. I just happened to get that email yesterday. Thought and still think it’s relevant. I guess you missed the “ observation” part. It’s painfull watching talented little guy riders on 9ers. Sometimes they’re faster, sometimes not, never more playful or fun though. I’d have one just not on my enduro or dh bike
    as a fat american dentist you can't be so small you don't fit a 29'er

I fit 29 perfectly inspite of being a small azn man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

116 waisted skis are so bad at hardpack.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

102 waisted skis are no fun in powder.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

everyone wants to get to heaven

but nobody wants to die

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    as a fat american dentist you can't be so small you don't fit a 29'er

I fit 29 perfectly inspite of being a small azn man
    Maybe, it’s just not where my priorities lie, where I ride and what I want to do on a bike. My trail bike is 32lbs with 27.5 1100g tires, 65.5 ha ,125mm r,150mm f. I could make it quicker and faster over the long haul but I’d be sacrificing efficiency where I prioritize it, the downs. If I was an American dentist I’d have the same bike but it’d weigh 29lbs without sacrificing the downs
    I’d like to borrow someone’s 9er front wheel to see how that’d ride on my bike. I don’t like the idea of having my satchel that close to the rear tire of a 9er where I ride. I’ve heard a few wc dh ers express that. Troy Brosnan most recently. I think he’s 5’8”/5’9” ish

What 29er am I looking for?

Oh man. Nothing worse than a stretched satchel

I am coming around to 29ers on bikes with less than 140mm of travel. I would never want them on my enduro or park bike though, even if I was racing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm 5'8" fit the medium yeti 5.5 perfect and its 29

the new sb150 can go smaller size probably cuz its longer

when i am climbing up often wish for a lighter bike

until I aim it back down hill

Above my pay grade . Probably both sweet bikes, just not my jam, generally. I’m 5”7’ but 29” inseam is a limiting factor. Brosnan was talking about his dh bike. More often I think I’d like to find some cheap 26” wheels to go play on. I’m not opposed to playing on any 2 wheels though

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Oh man. Nothing worse than a stretched satchel

I am coming around to 29ers on bikes with less than 140mm of travel. I would never want them on my enduro or park bike though, even if I was racing.

Ya I look at 140 or less . For me a 100mm travel one makes most sense. These look amazing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	858.9 KB 
ID:	245812
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Ar...rail-Bike,2501
    Could I run a 27.5 rear?

Maybe, it’s just not where my priorities lie, where I ride and what I want to do on a bike. My trail bike is 32lbs with 27.5 1100g tires, 65.5 ha ,125mm r,150mm f. I could make it quicker and faster over the long haul but I’d be sacrificing efficiency where I prioritize it, the downs. If I was an American dentist I’d have the same bike but it’d weigh 29lbs without sacrificing the downs
    I'm 5'9" and my 29er trail bike weighs 31lbs with 1100g tires, 64.5 ha, 150mm rear, 160mm front. And I never scrub my satchel on the rear tire, even on steeps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ya I look at 140 or less . For me a 100mm travel one makes most sense. These look amazing
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Ar...rail-Bike,2501
    Anyone ever own a "high pivot" bike? Chains seem to be a weak link <pun> on a bike; I've broke a few myself...it just looks like A LOT of chain. Also looks like a lot going on in the BB, pivots, front upper sprocket(?) section of the bike...

But I've never ridden one...never even seen one in person that I can recall. For all I know, they might be the best thing since round wheels.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    This ad is killing me. It would make me sell my reign and be a one-bike for me, if it's as great as people say.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53324766

focus....focus....must resist.

This is a craigslist scam

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Anyone ever own a "high pivot" bike? Chains seem to be a weak link <pun> on a bike; I've broke a few myself...it just looks like A LOT of chain. Also looks like a lot going on in the BB, pivots, front upper sprocket(?) section of the bike...

But I've never ridden one...never even seen one in person that I can recall. For all I know, they might be the best thing since round wheels.
    I used to have a canfield jedi. Not a single pivot, but the axle path is fairly similar to the new crop of high pivots, and it used an idler.

Plowed over square hits really well. No issues with the chain or idler, but I'm not sure I'd want that setup on a pedal bike. Biggest issue I had was that it cornered and jumped a bit weird since the wheelbase gets significantly longer as the suspension compresses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Anyone ever own a "high pivot" bike? Chains seem to be a weak link on a bike; I've broke a few myself...it just looks like A LOT of chain. Also looks like a lot going on in the BB, pivots, front upper sprocket(?) section of the bike...

I had the Commencal Supreme V4 with the High single pivot. I currently have a scott voltage as my park bike, and it has a (fairly) high single pivot, and rearward axle path initially. The voltage doesnt have an idle pulley or whatever, so you feel the chain growth, but The stretching wheelbase has a sort of “boost” effect, when you pump it, it extends you forward and generates a little speed boost in certain situations.

I have never broken a chain or anything on the frames of either of the bikes. the commencal seemed like it was really well put together. The scott is simply bulletproof. The chains may get a little sloppier faster, seemingly, but never broke one.

I dont know much about the high pivot bikes, but I like how they ride. I currently have a giant glory as well, and I liked the Commencal Supreme V4 better. The commie was more racey, and also more poppy. I think I have too soft of a rear spring on my Glory though. I actually sold the supreme because I though it was too much bike for me, but then i rode the glory about 10 times and realized the supreme was the better bike, and now I regret selling it.

The only issue I had with the Supreme, Similar to what Toast said, was that when jumping, the moving wheelbase would throw me off on take offs a bit, and put my body in the wrong spot on the bike all of a sudden, but I think if I spent more time on it I would have figured that out..

Next year I’m getting another 27.5 version of the commie I think, and gonna try to figure it out more, cuz its a fast and fun bike. The 29er looks cool, but I dont need that much speed for Northstar.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

grinch, you should ride one. Riding new bikes is fun, regardless of wheel size. My takeaway with every 29er I've ridden, with the sort-of-exception of the Stache, was that moving the bike around took more effort. Definitely faster over rough stuff, and it's kind of crazy how they keep gaining momentum seemingly endlessly, but throwing it around feels awkward, and I agree, looks awkward. And, it's not limited to WC DH. Watching some the best riders in the world on a 29er, they're obviously not having trouble moving it around, but it definitely just looks kinda weird.

We as mountain bikers can adapt and adjust to anything. Geometry, frame size, and certainly wheel size. I have no doubt that, with a couple of rides, I'd feel completely comfy on a 29er. My stance has been that I'm out there to have fun, and to me, popping off every little thing in sight and throwing the bike around is fun. Going fast is also fun, but I'm old enough to know that I can't go WFO on multi-use trails anymore. Having said that, I'm also getting more interested in efficiency and comfort over long rides, and so I can't help but be curious about these new slack, short travel 29ers. I think I'll end up with one eventually as my XC bike. Though, I plan to stick with 27.5 for the big bike(s).

Ultimately, though, the hardest part about buying a 29er is breaking it to kidwoo.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Shit, I'm gay?

Im honestly a little more interested in the Scott Ransom over the Pivot Firebird. But too much travel for 29 if Im not racing.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    <snip> My stance has been that I'm out there to have fun, and to me, popping off every little thing in sight and throwing the bike around is fun. Going fast is also fun, but I'm old enough to know that I can't go WFO on multi-use trails anymore.
    Yup. This is my take. Ride it like a BMX bike and accept that I'll never go as fast as is possible on the bike, 'cause that ain't safe. Fun is more important than straight-line speed to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Im honestly a little more interested in the Scott Ransom over the Pivot Firebird. But too much travel for 29 if Im not racing.
    Crud catcher shock mount, bar/stem combo, and proprietary shock. #yerbetterthanthat
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

My gear turnaround rate allows for that kind of bologna. I think that I’m treating the Bike Mag Bible too much like the gospel word lately, although I have lined up with most of their reviews.

I kind of like the bar/stem combo idea though. Although my main concern of shock transmission and vibez needs to be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    grinch, you should ride one. Riding new bikes is fun, regardless of wheel size. My takeaway with every 29er I've ridden, with the sort-of-exception of the Stache, was that moving the bike around took more effort. Definitely faster over rough stuff, and it's kind of crazy how they keep gaining momentum seemingly endlessly, but throwing it around feels awkward, and I agree, looks awkward. And, it's not limited to WC DH. Watching some the best riders in the world on a 29er, they're obviously not having trouble moving it around, but it definitely just looks kinda weird.

We as mountain bikers can adapt and adjust to anything. Geometry, frame size, and certainly wheel size. I have no doubt that, with a couple of rides, I'd feel completely comfy on a 29er. My stance has been that I'm out there to have fun, and to me, popping off every little thing in sight and throwing the bike around is fun. Going fast is also fun, but I'm old enough to know that I can't go WFO on multi-use trails anymore. Having said that, I'm also getting more interested in efficiency and comfort over long rides, and so I can't help but be curious about these new slack, short travel 29ers. I think I'll end up with one eventually as my XC bike. Though, I plan to stick with 27.5 for the big bike(s).

Ultimately, though, the hardest part about buying a 29er is breaking it to kidwoo.
    Ya I definitely keep thinking about it. Obviously I’m just going from observation but I’d definitely like to try one. Not so much as the height, or lack of it, but 29” inseam is a big factor for me when I have to also consider stand over and chainstay length as well as the satchel/tire conflict. That “forbidden bike” fits that pretty well(hsp cs does grow a far bit though). I have my trani scout so dialed now though I’m thinking 100mm rear travel 9er for those long alpine rides. Everything lighter and tires pumped to keep it together. Big commitment to get a purpose bike like that when I can take the scout literally anywhere. Still I must try one of these struggle machines

I regularly ride the rear tire of my capra 29 with my undercarriage on steep stuff. Gonna need some ball bearings down there. Other than that, the bike is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I regularly ride the rear tire of my capra 29 with my undercarriage on steep stuff. Gonna need some ball bearings down there. Other than that, the bike is awesome.
    Idler pulleys are all the rage. Placements vary

Maybe this has been addressed...

27.5 plus is essentially the same diameter as a 29. Except you get stupid heavy tires with momentum killing pressures. Having taken a couple bikes out that you can switch the wheels on I don’t understand why people bother with anything but 29.

I rip the groomed on tele gear