Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    So much win in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    So much win in this thread.
    PM me if you have any specific questions. I have wired up 15+ bikes in many different configurations.

Just have to ask..are u sure about the UP?

I know they seem cool, but being mediocre at several genres at a premium price doesnt make a ton of sense. I had a chance to pick up a frame at cost via a rep buddy, but couldn't talk myself into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    PM me if you have any specific questions. I have wired up 15+ bikes in many different configurations.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1
    Just have to ask..are u sure about the UP?

I know they seem cool, but being mediocre at several genres at a premium price doesnt make a ton of sense. I had a chance to pick up a frame at cost via a rep buddy, but couldn't talk myself into it.
    I do mixed surface rides from time to time on my road bike and I enjoy them, but 25mm tires are pretty limiting. There are lots of trails that are 10-20 miles from my house that I'd like to go explore.

A lot of people are really enthusiastic about gravel bikes. They've practically taken over the "ride when it's wet" thread. I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.

The U.P. certainly looks nice, but I always figured for the cash of the frameset I'd have someone build me exactly what I wanted. Depends on how you plan to use it, if it's just for gravel roads then it's fine, but if you want to run different wheel sizes, longer all day epic rides, space for a small rack, run big tires for heavy trail use, I think you can do better.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think that anyone who wants a gravel bike that has similar geo to an aggressive road bike, thereby allowing for a better road experience, are limited to either the U.P., 3T Exploro, or custom. Too many of the other gravel options either have more endurance road geometry or CX geo.

1x11 for gravel bike - SRAM Force 1 or DIY DI2?

I was going to suggest a custom Ti. Of course I own 3, so I’m prejudiced, but I went the OP’s path, and it’s cool to have something designed for you that nobody else has. And frankly, I don’t think Carbon is a good frame material for gravel.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I was mistaken--I thought the U.P. had much longer chainstays. The numbers between the U.P. and mine are pretty similar, except my seat tube is 71 versus 72.5, and my bike was built around a 90mm stem. I'd be way out front of the axle on the U.P.

With 420mm stays that will carve up singletrack nicely.

My previous road bike from before we moved to CA was a custom Ti frame, which I loved. Since moving to CA I'm on my second stock carbon frame, and I love both of them, too. I don't see myself going back to a custom bike.

I may be brainwashed by the Open hype, but I looked at the specs on a bunch of titanium gravel bikes -- Seven, Baum, Mosaic, etc. -- and none of them got me fired up. Maybe I'll break the Open frame doing something where a Ti frame would have been OK, but if that happens it happens.

The designer of the Open talks about how keeping the chainstays short while allowing clearance for 2.1 inch 650b tires was one of his primary design goals. I like the idea of something that will retain some road bike feel.

Even if it's all brainwashing, I figure confirmation bias will keep me happy once I've invested a bunch of money and effort into putting it together.

It’s all good.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My previous road bike from before we moved to CA was a custom Ti frame, which I loved. Since moving to CA I'm on my second stock carbon frame, and I love both of them, too. I don't see myself going back to a custom bike.

I may be brainwashed by the Open hype, but I looked at the specs on a bunch of titanium gravel bikes -- Seven, Baum, Mosaic, etc. -- and none of them got me fired up. Maybe I'll break the Open frame doing something where a Ti frame would have been OK, but if that happens it happens.

The designer of the Open talks about how keeping the chainstays short while allowing clearance for 2.1 inch 650b tires was one of his primary design goals. I like the idea of something that will retain some road bike feel.

Even if it's all brainwashing, I figure confirmation bias will keep me happy once I've invested a bunch of money and effort into putting it together.
    TBH, I'm right there with you for the custom route and thinking it is somewhat overrated, but personally I can't seem to find any aggressive (shortish chainstay, small head tube, etc) stock TI frames that can fit 38s. If anyone knows of any, let me know!

I think the OPEN is a great bike personally, I haven't heard of many people regretting their choice. Just make sure you get some down tube protectors for rocks!

You going to try to weightweenie it? I bet you could easily get it into the sub 17lb category.

Also, pro tip. Set an alarm on your phone for 1x a month to check your Di2 battery. Nothing like going for a ride and getting stuck in a bad gear combo. Happened to me last night. 36/12 combo that saw me spinning 120+ RPMs trying to go down some hills and on the flats

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Also, pro tip. Set an alarm on your phone for 1x a month to check your Di2 battery. Nothing like going for a ride and getting stuck in a bad gear combo. Happened to me last night. 36/12 combo that saw me spinning 120+ RPMs trying to go down some hills and on the flats
    Pro tip: sync your Di2 with garmin or on board computer or iPhone so you can see your exact battery levels before you leave the house.
    That way there is no guess work on battery levels.
    Even riding 500-700 miles a month you should only have to charge the system every 3 months.
    The Di2 has a low battery fail safe and cuts power to the FD first and allows power only to the RD and allows for rear shifts to get you home.

I keep thinking my battery should be due for a charge but it's still at over 50% and I don't remember when I charged it last, maybe may? I only let it get low enough to kill the FD once and the rear was still shifting when I got home.

How about Moots for ti? Friend built a routt 45 a few years ago and it's pretty sweet. It does have a little less reach and a a little more stack than an open though. I think you can get shorter or longer head tubes on those?

A guy in town has an Open. I haven't looked too closely but did notice the 2.1s he had on there.
    Last edited by jamal; 08-28-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Pro tip: sync your Di2 with garmin or on board computer or iPhone so you can see your exact battery levels before you leave the house.
    That way there is no guess work on battery levels.
    Even riding 500-700 miles a month you should only have to charge the system every 3 months.
    The Di2 has a low battery fail safe and cuts power to the FD first and allows power only to the RD and allows for rear shifts to get you home.
    That requires the D-Fly Unit. I'm too cheap to get one

D-fly allows me to see my Di2 system on my garmin. Allows me to change garmin screens with my secret buttons on the shifters. It allows me to Bluetooth e-tune and perform updates or problem solve components with my iPhone as I don’t own a PC.
    One trip to the bike shop for a Di2 diagnostic cost more than a d-fly unit.

D-fly allows me to see my Di2 system on my garmin. Allows me to change garmin screens with my secret buttons on the shifters. It allows me to Bluetooth e-tune and perform updates or problem solve components with my iPhone as I don’t own a PC.
    One trip to the bike shop for a Di2 diagnostic cost more than a d-fly unit.
    Meh, I have a good relationship with my shop. They wouldn't charge me for a diagnostic issue.

That being said, OP, if you can, buy the D-Fly and probably the new climbing shifters. Those would be really nice if you find yourself on the hoods when riding gravel for comfort.

There is the old one, I think its the R6000 model which is a bulky box and IMO looks gross, or there are the 9150 options which are more like the sprint shifters.

If you do, double check that the new shifters have enough ports for the cables. If they're like the RS785 then they won't and you will need a 5 port junction box and I don't know if those are available in the handlebar option.

If you're really handy you can buy the sprint shifters and install them like climbing ones.

I'm going to have to find room on my handlebars for a computer, a headlight, a dropper post remote, and climbing shifters?!

Even with all that stuff, 17 lbs. should be do-able. I think full weight weenie is sub-15.

Ordered the frame today!

I'm going to have to find room on my handlebars for a computer, a headlight, a dropper post remote, and climbing shifters?!

Even with all that stuff, 17 lbs. should be do-able. I think full weight weenie is sub-15.

Ordered the frame today!
    Garmin mount that extends from the stem and has a GoPro styled mount beneath for the light

https://www.f3cycling.com/formmount

You also have other brands too that make similar things that are a lot cheaper.

Keep us updated! I'm curious to hear how the dropper post works out!

Which version did you wind up going with?

Looking forward to this build!

I'm jaded towards custom because its difficult to find a bike that fits without running a shitload of saddle drop and long stem. If you can fit on a stock bike, more power to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Which version did you wind up going with?
    I, uh, kinda ordered an UPPER.

I had to offset the weight of a dropper post somehow.

I don't know what you do for a living, but are you hiring?

Lol. I was thinking the same thing

Suit University formula for success:

1) Team up with one or more really smart & compatible business partners
    2) Write a lot of software
    3) Have a mega-fuckton of good luck
    4) Profit

Bullets 1 & 3 are the most important

Nice choice. .my rep buddy never shuts up about them. Which group set? Hopefully not a 1x but I'm a little biased...

Great advice especially 2nd part of #1

Thanks!

I do mixed surface rides from time to time on my road bike and I enjoy them, but 25mm tires are pretty limiting. There are lots of trails that are 10-20 miles from my house that I'd like to go explore.

A lot of people are really enthusiastic about gravel bikes. They've practically taken over the "ride when it's wet" thread. I'm just jumping on the bandwagon.
    how is the Up working out? are u running the 2.1 option?