Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What shoes?

What shoes?

I had some old Shimano clipless shoes. I think I've only owned Shimano shoes, they fit my narrow feet great. They fucked up the new line though, so I'm looking for something else. I bought some Giros, they have Boas and I thought they fit, but the extra room in the toe box that I noticed slightly in-store is a no-go when trying to lift up pedaling. And whether it's cleat placement or the Boas, my feet went numb pretty quick with them. I'm thinking it's mainly me cranking the boas because they don't fit well, on this particular shoe they go too high up the shin IMO. I could see Boas working with a better design, maybe.

Are all Giros a bit wide? I'm thinking this would be like my old Shimanos, kinda: https://www.evo.com/outlet/shoes/gir...adow-flame.jpg

Any other recs? True XC shoes seemingly have no traction and look to be not burly enough to last long sole-wise for a lot of walking that I do.

I've had 3 pair of Specialized XC shoes over the years and they have all fit the same, the fit is low volume midfoot/narrow heel/ wider forefoot

shimano have never fit well

edit: If you fit a Vulcan/Mercury with no punches ... try Specialized
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

some Pearl Izumi shoes run narrow/low volume

I’m thinking of Lake for my next pair of shoes, because they are wide to begin with and they offer a wider version.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Any other recs? True XC shoes seemingly have no traction and look to be not burly enough to last long sole-wise for a lot of walking that I do.
    As a fellow frequent HAB'er, I love the PI X-Alp Enduro v5's I got earlier this year. I'm seriously considering buying another pair to have them on hand when these wear out. Sizes seem to be rather limited right now though. I'm not sure they've discontinued the model completely or it's just a break before they release the v6, but if you can find your size there are great deals on them. PI also makes a couple other similar models.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I've had 3 pair of Specialized XC shoes over the years and they have all fit the same, the fit is low volume midfoot/narrow heel/ wider forefoot

shimano have never fit well

edit: If you fit a Vulcan/Mercury with no punches ... try Specialized
    Wider forefoot is the exact problem I have with my Giros I'm returning, but I'll try a pair just in case thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    some Pearl Izumi shoes run narrow/low volume
    thanks, I'll try them.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’m thinking of Lake for my next pair of shoes, because they are wide to begin with and they offer a wider version.
    Giro has a version of some of their shows labeled HV, (high volume) if you have wide feet maybe those work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As a fellow frequent HAB'er, I love the PI X-Alp Enduro v5's I got earlier this year. I'm seriously considering buying another pair to have them on hand when these wear out. Sizes seem to be rather limited right now though. I'm not sure they've discontinued the model completely or it's just a break before they release the v6, but if you can find your size there are great deals on them. PI also makes a couple other similar models.
    Cool, I'll check them out. Thanks.

Specialized 2FO Cliplites (Boa and Lace) fit my skinny feet well, don't look too silly and have a decent sole. I like the Boas, especially because I take pads on and off several times on most rides.

I ordered those and Kestrel Laces, returned the KL as it was much wider in the toebox. Original Kestrels I tried seemed pretty low volume. New Giro Camber II is meant to fit slimmer than the old ones, need to try those on if I ever see them in a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Specialized 2FO Cliplites (Boa and Lace) fit my skinny feet well, don't look too silly and have a decent sole. I like the Boas, especially because I take pads on and off several times on most rides.

I ordered those and Kestrel Laces, returned the KL as it was much wider in the toebox. Original Kestrels I tried seemed pretty low volume. New Giro Camber II is meant to fit slimmer than the old ones, need to try those on if I ever see them in a shop.
    Those Specialized (and the Camber) are too much like my 5.10 Freeriders, I'm looking for a more XC/enduro shoe. But I tried on Pearl Izumi last night, they fit but aren't great, so that leaves 2 recs for Specialized with skinny feet. I'll try some on of a different model, thanks.

I used to run Shimano shoes (way back in the day) for xc clipless for my narrow feet.

I still run Shimano for my DH clipless shoes.

But I also have a pair of the PI X-Alp Enduro and they are great for what you're describing, especially if your foot fits high performance Lange/Technica ski boots. They do run warm though.
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Mavic seem to be popular in this segment. Has the euro fit without the full xc sidi, gaerne thing

Can’t wait for my Northwaves to die cause the toebox is way too narrow. Last pair was the same. Apparently I don’t learn. Otherwise nice shoes, so they could be an option.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

What shoes?

What size? I have some shoes I don't need in the garage. I'm a low volume foot, wear a size 26, 98mm last Lange in the winter.

2017 Giro Terraduro sz 42/US 9, black, BNIB $75 shipped. These run small, fit like a snug 8.5.
    Low volume with a sightly roomier toe than their full on XC shoes. I really liked these, pedal well and walk well, really comfy, but the sole fell off. At least I got a full season out of them. Supposedly they addressed that with the generation they sent me. Edit: the pic says “wide”, the shoes are not the wide ones.
    Name:  giro-terraduro-wide-fit-shoe-exdisplay-black-EV301285-8500-1.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  16.9 KB

2015 Mavic Crossmax Enduro sz 43(?), yellow, BNIB. Gotta check the size on those. The Giros are my size, these are about a full size too big for me fit more like a 9-9.5, they seem to be mid-high volume to me but like I said, they're too big. Stiff, burly sole that looks good for walking. These were actually real popular. $50 shipped.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crossmax enduro.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	604.6 KB 
ID:	244970
    Yeah they're pretty ugly.

Otherwise if you're talking pedaling and walking. I'm in the new Giro Chamber now. Stiff and comfy, lower volume with a bit more room in the toe. Nice, burly, mildly rockered vibram sole. Pedal well, WAY better for walking than any XC/XCish Enduro shoe I've ever worn and are holding up better. Good heal retention. Durable and breathe well, especially for this category. Never thought I'd like this kind of shoe but I do, a lot. The OG Chambers were pretty sloppy to me, never considered buying them. The new ones are quite a bit skinnier. I'm also on my second pair of Privateers right now. Very stiff, quite low volume, very comfy once they break in. The forefoot is tighter than the Terraduro but will stretch and mold to your foot like a glove. I like these a lot but the soles are more fragile than the Terraduros, even with spikes to protect them. I think I shredded them in three months. The new ones are relegated to the road and the trainer. Most Giros are low volume IME but they do have a "wide" option, watch out.

I did also like the Pearle X-Alp Enduros but I found them to be a bit roomy and had some heal slippage. I was maxed out on the ratchet and velcro straps. And they were pretty beat after one season. The price was sure right though. This was a few years ago, not sure where the fit went from there but the new ones look good.

Still kinda miss my Lake MX165s even though thy weren't exactly a narrow fit. Took four years to kill them and they were comfy and pedaled and walked well. Heavy as fuck and ugly though. Found out the hard way they don't really make them like they used to.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 08-24-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I'll second the recommendation for the special ed shoes. I have the 2FO clipless shoe with the boa system. Riding them the last two years and they're holding up well. I have a skinny/low volume foot. I ski Nordica GPX and Vulcans with minimal boot work.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Mavic seem to be popular in this segment. Has the euro fit without the full xc sidi, gaerne thing
    I bought my Mavics in Spain before they offered them in the US. I loved them, but they ended up cracking/splitting at the cleat screw-in spot. I've got Scotts now that seem OK. Prolly get Lakes for the road.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I bought my Mavics in Spain before they offered them in the US. I loved them, but they ended up cracking/splitting at the cleat screw-in spot. I've got Scotts now that seem OK. Prolly get Lakes for the road.
    Shitty. Maybe they’ll warrantee for a new pair . I was having a brain stutter as well until “bagtagley” mentioned “northwave”. I wasn’t coming up with the name when I posted last. They make nice shoes too. Any of those euros, especially the Italians, make the best quality. I like the flat shoe spd pedals(when I had them) for my usage ,of not much hiking, but my gaerne and sidis were by far the best quality . Gaerne A’s were comfy. They had a low volume fit , just not sure they have the style you’re after .

What shoes?

Sidi Dominators - most of my friends ride them and have had them for years. I have narrow feet and think that I bought a too small size every time I put them on (8 years now). However they are bulletproof and stretch to fit every ride.

My buddy has Fred Flintstone feet and has the w de version and can’t kill them.

Find them on sale and buy once, cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Sidi Dominators - most of my friends ride them and have had them for years. I have narrow feet and think that I bought a too small size every time I put them on (8 years now). However they are bulletproof and stretch to fit every ride.

My buddy has Fred Flintstone feet and has the w de version and can’t kill them.

Find them on sale and buy once, cry once.
    +1
    My last pair of sidis lasted 11yrs...totally worth the cost

I have a pair of Sidis that came from a lost and found box at my buddy's gym, so I got them well used, and they have still worked for me for years. And still do. That said, they're not very good for walking.

I just bought, and haven't even tried on yet, a pair of Fiziks from Jenson. Anyone have experience with those?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sidis fit well, ride well, they suck ballz for walking.

^^ yup and no protective rand. I had a couple pair of dominators and they lasted the best out of any shoe ever. Comfy, great power transfer, really light and nice lugged sole but the rubber on the tread was super hard and slippery af on wet rocks and roots when hiking(maybe they’ve changed). It’s nice to have a bit more toe protection too. If I had a shoe quiver dominators would be in their though. They were “the” go to xc shoe for years and still in the running amongst a bigger selection of offerings currently available

anybody use the toe spikes in xc types shoes?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In case this helps someone in the future, I got the Privateers. Tight fitting all the way down my foot, even though other Giros didn't work for me. This and maybe one random Pearl Izumi model fit me well.

What I learned, nothing ground breaking of course and a bit tedious I know:

-the problem I mainly had was not being able to tighten across the ball of my foot where I'm clipped in. Roomy toe area is fine, but not if I'm lifting my feet in the shoe because I can't tighten the strap over this area enough. Once I was on a bike that tiny lift in my shoe became intolerable and inefficient. Some shoes were just too wide, some fit narrow enough but the strap was poorly designed so i couldn't tighten it enough.
    -I went into a Specialized store and they immediately said Spec shoes are known for roomy toeboxes, so their shoes were too wide overall. However the 2F0s are not quite so roomy, but they are like skate shoes and I'm looking for a rubber lugged XC/Enduro shoe. They fit well though!
    -Giro Chamber fit similar to the Spec 2FOs, they were sweet but not what I want, a shoe that was skate style too.
    -pretty much all the expensive Shimanos were a perfect slim fit but no traction, too XC oriented. So frustrating. But some/all need more toe protection as I always get reamed by big rocks in the toebox. I'd guess expensive Lakes, Sidis, etc would be similar. Maybe most people already knows this but there ya go...

Thanks everyone, I tried on most shoes recommended, a lot were out of stock though in my size, and it's end of season and no one is restocking this late all sizes. I appreciate all the recs, thanks!

The Fiziks look like good shoes, fit well, will see how they fare!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

anybody use the toe spikes in xc types shoes?
    I've used them at various times. Generally handy IMO. They give you extra grip for hiking up steep, soft/loose stuff and protect the sole of the shoe some. They suck on rock. If you want to get some just go to 'sports supply' store and get a 20 pack of football cleats for $5. The bike-brand specific ones are expensive and not real different.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    In case this helps someone in the future, I got the Privateers. Tight fitting all the way down my foot, even though other Giros didn't work for me. This and maybe one random Pearl Izumi model fit me well.

What I learned, nothing ground breaking of course and a bit tedious I know:

-the problem I mainly had was not being able to tighten across the ball of my foot where I'm clipped in. Roomy toe area is fine, but not if I'm lifting my feet in the shoe because I can't tighten the strap over this area enough. Once I was on a bike that tiny lift in my shoe became intolerable and inefficient. Some shoes were just too wide, some fit narrow enough but the strap was poorly designed so i couldn't tighten it enough.
    -I went into a Specialized store and they immediately said Spec shoes are known for roomy toeboxes, so their shoes were too wide overall. However the 2F0s are not quite so roomy, but they are like skate shoes and I'm looking for a rubber lugged XC/Enduro shoe. They fit well though!
    -Giro Chamber fit similar to the Spec 2FOs, they were sweet but not what I want, a shoe that was skate style too.
    -pretty much all the expensive Shimanos were a perfect slim fit but no traction, too XC oriented. So frustrating. But some/all need more toe protection as I always get reamed by big rocks in the toebox. I'd guess expensive Lakes, Sidis, etc would be similar. Maybe most people already knows this but there ya go...

Thanks everyone, I tried on most shoes recommended, a lot were out of stock though in my size, and it's end of season and no one is restocking this late all sizes. I appreciate all the recs, thanks!
    I liked those a lot, hopefully you have better luck than I did with the soles. I think the toe spikes did help protect them. See advice above, think I got them at Big Five. Or hit me up, I've got a handful left I'm not gonna use.

I’ve stuck with Shimano’s high end ankle height “Enduro” (and whatever they were calling it previously) shoes for 20 years. I’m currently in the SHM200, but the ME7 is the current version. The fit is far from perfect, but it’s as good as I’ve found for my long low volume feet. Otherwise they’re pretty versatile, stiff enough for long days of pedalling, and not too challenging for limited amounts of walking. They do stand up well to endless amounts of abuse. One of these days someone will add an off-set anatomical toe box and onto a narrow heeled cycling shoe and I’ll finally have comfortable feet, but until then the Shimanos are the best of a mediocre bunch.