Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How to Sell a Classic Car?

My sister and her husband inherited a '67 Mustang convertible. Cherry red with matching red leather interior. Bone stock and in pristine condition thanks to being garaged and covered for most of the last 40 years. Runs like a top. As sweet as it is, they have no desire to keep it and want to sell it. But, they have no idea how to go about doing so and certainly aren't just going to put it on Craigslist.

Suggestions? Is there a 60's muscle car version of IH8MUD classifieds? Broker of some kind? Even though they'll take a cut, having a third party of some kind involved doesn't seem like a bad idea to avoid getting robbed or defrauded. Preliminary research they've done indicates this thing is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $30k.

Maybe bringatrailer is a good place for them to consider?

see if they can consign it to Mecum or similar classic auction maybe

bobby stainless?

Hemmings Motor News.

Bringatrailer or hemmings

came on to say bobby but beat to it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    this should be right in his wheelhouse
    Will he want a test drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    came on to say bobby but beat to it.
    If you want a drunk to wreck it and file the insurance claim, that would be a good start.

OP stays it all.. just keep it and enjoy it til you die and let someone else worry about selling it. I saw a mid 60s Mustang convertible that some elderly neighbors had in their garage back around 1981. It had FIFTY miles on it. Blue with a white top. Every once in awhile I wonder where that car ended up and if it's still all minty today..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I've sold a couple classics on KSl and bought one on it too, there are plenty of collectors in Utah that use it. Not sure where your sister lives though, small town somewhere? Nothing wrong with craigslist. If it's only worth 30Kish, no need for a broker IMO if you kkow how scammers work. Bobby S. obviously knows more than any of us...

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    it’s red so yeah
    Toby wants to go for a test drive...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Put it on all the apps, CL, offer up, let go. To someone who knows what it is and what it's worth it's a safe bet. Nothing wrong with putting free feelers out there

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    see if they can consign it to Mecum or similar classic auction maybe
    I'll look into Mecum, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tango uniform View Post
    Hemmings Motor News.
    Likewise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    If you want a drunk to wreck it and file the insurance claim, that would be a good start.
    I'm sure Bobby is far too busy getting wasted and bragging about himself to bother with a transaction this Plebian.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    OP stays it all.. just keep it and enjoy it til you die and let someone else worry about selling it. I saw a mid 60s Mustang convertible that some elderly neighbors had in their garage back around 1981. It had FIFTY miles on it. Blue with a white top. Every once in awhile I wonder where that car ended up and if it's still all minty today..
    It will probably only appreciate, but they just aren't interested in keeping it.
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I've sold a couple classics on KSl and bought one on it too, there are plenty of collectors in Utah that use it. Not sure where your sister lives though, small town somewhere? Nothing wrong with craigslist. If it's only worth 30Kish, no need for a broker IMO if you kkow how scammers work. Bobby S. obviously knows more than any of us...
    They're in Anderson, CA, just south of Redding. Relatively close to Bay area and Sacto buyers. If it were me I'd probably have it on bringatrailer already, but she hasn't don't much online selling and is intimidated. He's a wildland FF and will be busy as hell for the next few months.

The Hot August Nights classic car event in Reno just ended. I think there's some auction sale that goes on during it. IDK if they'd want to wait until next year to bring it to Reno to sell, but maybe that's worth looking into.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I think classiccars.com could be what you are looking for. https://classiccars.com/listings/find/1965/ford/mustang

Maybe bringatrailer is a good place for them to consider?
    If it's got a good story (and it sounds like it might with long continuous ownership) worth a shot.

Send me some good pics inside and out, the VIN and the mileage and I can get the car sold for you in a couple of days.

Or use BAT and do it yourself and get robbed or defrauded. Lol.

Truth. My 2-3 Amstel Lights a night are getting out of hand.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IThey're in Anderson, CA, just south of Redding. Relatively close to Bay area and Sacto buyers.
    Just for shits & giggles, try posting an ad in SF / Gay Area (i.e., Palo Alto, Silicon Valley, etc.) Craigslist and see what comes of it. There are some stupid rich (new rich) folks thereabouts with more $$$ than they know what to do with. This auto would make a nice once or twice a year toy for some of them. Good luck!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Drive it around rich neighborhoods where you see classic cars around. It will generate a lot of interest.
    Or bring it to super wealthy golf courses and you'll get all kinds of action.
    Don't act like you're trying to sell it and perhaps your sister and brother inlaw will hook themselves a winner.

As a caretaker of a '68 Mustang, I can tell you that you don't sell classic cars, you pay for them... when you buy them, when you maintain them, and when you sell them; you pay at each step.

The problem with Mustangs in particular is that Ford made a shit ton of them. A convertible means it's more valuable but also that it's way more of a pain to maintain and to drive. You should get $25k for it.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/ <-- Go There.

I'm sure Bobby is far too busy getting wasted and bragging about himself to bother with a transaction this Plebian.
    Yeah... Having a pro sell it for free would be stupid.

You should listen to a bunch of skiers on a outdoor forum instead.

It's only a 25-30k online transaction. No big deal.

bragging about himself
    We've only got 14 classics in stock right now ranging from a 30k 70 Vette to a 600k 79 Lamborghini...

Last edited by Bobby Stainless; 08-18-2018 at 05:37 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Well if you don't go the Bobby route, which would be a good but probably painful idea for you ha, what about just selling it to a classic car dealer like Bobby in the SF area? If you were up for someone taking a cut anyways, might as well unload it easily this way.

Bobby, is this a dumb idea? What would a dealer take for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Send me some good pics inside and out, the VIN and the mileage and I can get the car sold for you in a couple of days.

Or use BAT and do it yourself and get robbed or defrauded. Lol.

Truth. My 2-3 Amstel Lights a night are getting out of hand.
    Touché

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

If they're going to flog it themselves I'd get a solid independent appraisal so you've got something to rely on when the "wheeler dealer" types show up and tell you it's worth 50%of your asking price.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!