Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help with new ski setup please

Hello,
    I'm pretty clueless towards ski gear so please bear with me. I'm looking to get a new/additional setup. Right now I have
    Meier Quickdraw size 166
    G3 Ion 10 85mm bindings
    La Sportiva Starlet 2.0 Boots

and a crappy pair of resort rock skis and boots. I ski the Meiers at resorts and the BC.

These are the only skis I've ever used. I've been skiing for 3-4 years now in Colorado. Can get down blacks comfortably and double blacks somewhat comfortably. I enjoy steeps and tree skiing. Backcountry I like skiing 14ers and couloirs. Really looking to push my skills this coming season, planning to resort ski every weekend and backcountry ski all spring.

I understand the Meier skis are more front side carving, and the boots are more lightweight and less performance. One questions I have, if I get another set of AT ski boots, can I use both boots in the same bindings, or would they need to be adjusted for one boot only? I've been looking at the La Sportiva Sparkle or Shadow for a new boot, mostly just because I know Sportiva fits my foot well.

If I get a nice all-mountain ski, can I put AT bindings on them and get good performance at the resort? Or do I need a dedicated resort binding/boot/ski setup? I could also mount the Meier Quickdraws on a resort binding/boot, then get a really nice powder/all mountain AT ski and mount it on the ION bindings?

I'm really just looking for some guidance on a new setup or switching around what I currently have. Any specific skis you'd recommend? Boots? I'm 5'10 153 pounds female.

Do women's skis actually make a difference, or am I ok buying men's skis?

Thanks for the help!

Although unproven in a mass distribution sense, the Salomon Shift binding meets your AT and resort compatibility criteria. 30 some days on mine and unequivocally i can say that the power transfer on those things is revolutionary.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Although unproven in a mass distribution sense, the Salomon Shift binding meets your AT and resort compatibility criteria. 30 some days on mine and unequivocally i can say that the power transfer on those things is revolutionary.
    thanks, would the current boots I have be ok, or do I need something stiffer to get better performance?

Post up pics of your sister or mom's tits and I'll tell you to get the new Soul 7 quiver buster.

In general, it's best to separate resort setups and touring setups. But it's also a larger investment and there's definitely something to be said for spending more time on a single setup. Since you're not an aggressive skier, you'll likely be totally fine with a "crossover" boot, assuming you can find one that fits.

Where are you on CO? If you can, go see Larry in Boulder for your boots. You likely have large enough feet for men's boots, which simplifies things considerably. Make an appointment and work with Larry directly. Go in with an open mind and buy whatever he recommends. Buy boots first, and tailor the rest of your setup around it. Bring your current boots so he can see those as well. I'd keep them and use them for longer touring days (unless they don't fit well).

Skiing tech bindings inbounds kind of sucks because they are harsh and don't provide much shock absorption. The Salomon SHIFT would be a good idea for a crossover (inbounds and touring) setup, but you might have better luck just buying cheap inbounds bindings. You can usually find something on sale for around $100, vs the shift at retail.

No, womens skis don't make any difference. Get something 170-175 cm long and 100-105mm underfoot with a low twenties radius. IMHO, the skis you have are much too small for you to ski inbounds well on them.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-17-2018 at 01:15 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

There are numerous boots out there now that tour very well and yet have almost as good of performance (fine for 95% of skiers) on the downhill. If you are in the Front Range you've got numerous good options for trying these on. Larry's as mentioned, but also the guys at Bent Gate are good re:AT gear. Boots like the Atomic Hawx XTD, Blizzard ZeroG Pro, Dalbello Lupo AX, Salomon Mtn Explore etc. If you get the correct downhill binding that accepts touring or gripwalk soles, they can be do everything boots.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock06 View Post
    One questions I have, if I get another set of AT ski boots, can I use both boots in the same bindings, or would they need to be adjusted for one boot only?
    It depends on the diffential in BSL (boot sole length) between the two boots and the model of binding. Many, but not all tech bindings have an adjustment range of plus/minus one mondopoint size (10mm +) but some have less and some have none. The length of the boot sole, even it you stay in the same size, can vary drasically - as an example, I have tech boots that range in length from 306mm to 287mm and they all fit me fine. I could use them both if I had a binding with an adjustment range of 30mm and had the binding set to fit the small boot when the heel is all the way forward. The effective mount point will be way different depending on which boot you choose (affecting the way the ski performs), and it's not all that convenient to re-adjust the bindings on short notice.

I've been looking at the La Sportiva Sparkle or Shadow for a new boot, mostly just because I know Sportiva fits my foot well.
    Just because the La Sportiva boot you currently own doesn't hurt doesn't mean you need to stick with that brand. There are plenty of other options that would potentially ski way better and still tour fine. This is where a good bootfitter comes in.

If I get a nice all-mountain ski, can I put AT bindings on them and get good performance at the resort? Or do I need a dedicated resort binding/boot/ski setup?
    People define "good performance at the resort" in different ways. Most of the people on this forum would probably say there are a handful of tech AT bindings that will get you "good" resort performance and maybe 1-3 models that will get you "excellent" performance. The choice of boot makes an even bigger difference. For most people, what they "need" usually needs to be tempered by "what they can afford" or "what they can live with and be pretty happy."

I'm 5'10 153 pounds female. Do women's skis actually make a difference, or am I ok buying men's skis?
    It depends on the ski. Some women's skis are exactly the same as the comparable men's model, with a different graphic. Some women's skis use less material (omitting 2 or two layers of Titanal or fiberglass is common) to save weight and come with a softer overall flex. Some women's skis are the same as the men's model but have the recommended mount point moved forward (usually about 1cm).

At your size you will probably find better pricing and selection shopping for men's skis.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Some women's skis use less material (omitting 2 or two layers of Titanal or fiberglass is common)
    . . . one or two layers . . .

Attachment 244571

thanks everyone for the comments, I really appreciate it. It sounds best to get a dedicated new resort setup. I'll probably be spending more time at the resort than backcountry. In a few years when my Meier skis are done I can upgrade the AT setup.

Now the quest to figure out what downhill ski to get. Any more recommendations on what to look for would be appreciated, I'd like to get a list going of what skis I should demo when the season starts.

thanks again!

Now the quest to figure out what downhill ski to get. Any more recommendations on what to look for would be appreciated, I'd like to get a list going of what skis I should demo when the season starts.
    Tell us more about your skiing style and we can give better recommendations. Like I said before, literally any ski 170-180 cm long and 100-110 underfoot would fit the bill without knowing more about your style.

179 ON3P Wrenegade 108
    176 ON3P Kartel 108
    177 Nordica Enforcer 100
    174 Sally QST 106
    173 J Skis The Metal
    172 Moment Sierra
    172 ARV 106
    etc
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

more of a finesse, playful ski I think, I usually like skiing quick turns in tight trees, steeps, variable conditions. I'm not rocketing down carving groomers.

I'm looking at the DPS Alchemist Wailer 99, the reviews seem to suggest it matches my skiing type?

thanks!

Why do all the noobs come every August?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

If she was a true noob, shed be asking this in December. At least shes doing it early.

You’re here every day, so..........

more of a finesse, playful ski I think, I usually like skiing quick turns in tight trees, steeps, variable conditions. I'm not rocketing down carving groomers.

I'm looking at the DPS Alchemist Wailer 99, the reviews seem to suggest it matches my skiing type?

thanks!
    Nordica Soulrider 97
    The Sheriff is near!

Well, it's a nice ski, but before I plunked down $1300 I'd demo a few others. Salmon QST Lumen, Atomic Vantage 97C, Armada Trace 98, Nordica Enforcer/Santa Ana 100, Blizzard Black Pearl 98, Volkl 90Eight W, ON3P Jessie 96 are just a few that come to mind. The Lumen and Trace 98 are on the lighter and more nimble end of the spectrum.

Do you know any of those reviewers? Ever see them ski? They ever see you ski?

Or . . . Black Crows Camox Freebird?

Nobody's troll radar is beeping? Meiers, Ions and Sportivas as a first setup?

Lol...plus it's August.

i came here cuz i just found this forum, and im bored, in a new town with no friends...or snow

maybe ill make friends here?

advice to op - get out and ski as many different kinds of skis you can. Swap, borrow, demo, beg - whatever you can do to get out and ski, do it

Not a troll, just don't know anything about gear.

The Meier skis I won for free in a photo contest, hence why they're not the right size for me and are front size carving. the Ions I bought because at the time they were one of the lightest bindings and I wanted an AT setup. The Sportiva boots I got for nearly 50% off so couldn't say no. I know I have a crappy setup, that's why I want to get something better for this season.

Thanks again to everyone, I will take note of these recommendations and try to demo a bunch. Any thoughts on resort bindings?

If you're in the Front Range, the first half of the season has a ton of demo days. Lovelands is good and fairly priced and you get ski a ton of skis. There are also womens specific demo days that will eventually make their calender.

Regarding resort bindings: get something that is at least Gripwalk compatiable as more and more consumer-level boots are going that way. I think the Tyrolia Attack AT is hard to beat from a versatility/performance comparison.

Seconding that this: mostly just because I know Sportiva fits my foot well.

...isn't a great approach. The old Sportiva Mastrale's were a torture chamber for me (wide, flat feet) but the new F1s fit me great out of the box. Ditto for some of the last-gen Dynafits vs the newer TLT7. There is as much variation between some companies' models as there is between companies.

Any thoughts on resort bindings?
    It depends on which "resort" boot you get. If you choose a "crossover" walk-mode boot or a beefy AT boot, the type of sole determines binding compatibility. At the moment there are four major sole types for adult boots, two of which are defined by an ISO/DIN standard - ISO 5355 Alpine, ISO 9523 Touring, Walk to Ride (WTR), and GripWalk.

Tyrolia bindings labeled "AT", Salomon and Atomic bindings labeled "MNC" and Marker bindings labeled "SoleID" should work with all sole types, including full touring soles (there are a few notable exceptions). Bindings labeled "GripWalk" or "GW" should work with GripWalk and alpine ISO 5355 soles, bindings marked "WTR" should work with WTR and alpine soles.

The industry isn't exactly in synch yet on the boot sole/binding compatibility issue, and it changes constantly, so it's best to ask a qualified shop tech if you have a specific question. As for binding brands and models, TGR posters tend to favor the Look/Rossignol Pivot design but all the major brands are good, you should consult a DIN adjustment chart and figure out your DIN range and go from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that Gripwalk is basically slated to win out over WTR. Look / Lange decided to go Gripwalk, and all the new boots coming out are Gripwalk.

Buying WTR only stuff now seems like a way to curtail gear life faster than necessary.