Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls

Long-time...first-time...
    I've posted this question on two other forums, but am looking to get as wide a cross-section of opinions as possible. So I apologize if any of yall have seen a very similar post elsewhere.

I looked at all the relevant threads I could find, but didn't come across an answer. Besides, everyone's situation is a little different; and really, what's one more thread on the pile.

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 165lbs
    Ability: Expert (If we're being honest with each other, "Advanced")
    Location (skiing): Southwestern Colorado (exclusively)
    Days on the Snow: 6-10/year

I spend 85% of my time on moguls, but 15% of the time I end up skiing through some crud and tracked out powder because the folks I ski with get tired of all the moguls all the time.

If I'm ever lucky enough for a powder day, I'll rent some fat things. I never go fast on the groomers, so I don't need stability at speed or long, GS turns.

The consensus of past advice has been to save the money of skis and spend it on more days on the snow and possibly lessons. That's fine except the skis I like aren't terribly well stocked in rental shops. Shops that have any usually have the Kinks, but they're all getting a little old (5 seasons now), and they were a soft "freestyle" ski out of the box. And if a shop has a second model, it's usually the Smash7s, which are newer, but set up weird (see below). But, if any of yall still think my money would be better spent on elsewhere, just let me know.

I'm looking for an all-mountain (~80-90mm underfoot, 100 at most) ski that I will really like in the bumps and that I will not really hate in the crud.

I get the impression that the type of ski that works well in the moguls depends a lot on how the skier attacks the moguls. I'm trying to improve, but I know I'm 34 and only ski a week or two a year, so I'll never be anything close to a hot doggin' World Cupper.

Here's a couple videos of me skiing down some blue moguls. Just to give yall an idea of my ability and style:

My research shows I want a torsionally stiff ski, with a soft tip (and tail?, still not sure on that part), and traditional camber.

A few years ago when I asked a similar question on other forums, some folks said "just get mogul skis and deal with them in conditions they're not designed for". I was originally hesitant to take this approach because I'd been on the Volkl Mogul Wall and absolutely hated them, in the backseat the entire day. Last season; however, I tried a pair of 4FRNT Originators and absolutely loved them on some skied off blue bumps. I dunno if I got better or if the Mogul Walls are that much stiffer than the Originators. And I'm not sold on the idea that a pair of dedicated bump skis would make a good single quiver for someone like me, but I'm more open to the idea now. Going by that, here's the "short" list of contenders:

Line Blend
    Line Honeybadger - may be too flexy
    K2 Shreditor - some reviews suggest they may be too rockered
    Rossignol Scratch - skied an old pair of these (naked lady silhouette) and liked them (but they were pretty flexed out and the snow was pretty skied off), but not sure I'd enjoy them in any sort of powder or crud. I understand the current model may be too rockered.
    Fat-ypus D'root
    Fat-ypus G'Butter
    4Frnt Vandal
    4Frnt Originator
    Dynastar Twisters
    JSkis The AllPlay
    Armada ARV86/ARV96
    Armada B-Dog
    Faction Prodigy 3.0
    Moment PB&J
    Lib-Tech Backwards
    Head Caddy
    Head Framewall - probably too stiff
    Salomon Rocker2 - some reviews suggest they're stiffer than I'd like
    Blizzard Bushwacker - everyone says these are the best all-mount mogul-bias skis, but it seems that the stiffness varies wildly year to year; they're returning for 2018, but I've got no idea how flexible they'll be
    Salomon TNT - metal reinforced? if so, they're probably too stiff for my "style"
    Volkl Kink - Skied these multiple years and liked them a lot, but maybe too soft in the tails, seemed like whenever my weight gets back, the tails kinda collapse and I crash (unintentional tail butter?). Probably too soft.
    Rossignol Smash7 - I liked these except that the breaks on the rental sticks are too wide and cross each other, basically tying my laces together; if it hadn't happened to me about two times per day, I would've never thought it was possible

Do yall reckon that has to do with their technique being better or desire for more groomer performance and stability at speed?

Jesus Christ, that was a lot of preamble. Thanks for the help, yall.

tl;dr

Tech Talk jong
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

You should get shorter poles and whoever shot the video should get a new phone.

at six days a year maybe you should just get rentals
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I missed the "6 days" shit

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    ...t the skis I like aren't terribly well stocked in rental shops.
    The almighty Allah, in his infinite and everlasting wisdom, is telling you something; you took up the wrong fucking sport, JONG!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Volkl Kink - Skied these multiple years and liked them a lot, but maybe too soft in the tails, seemed like whenever my weight gets back, the tails kinda collapse and I crash (unintentional tail butter?). Probably too soft.
    Rossignol Smash7 - I liked these except that the breaks on the rental sticks are too wide and cross each other, basically tying my laces together; if it hadn't happened to me about two times per day, I would've never thought it was possible

Do yall reckon that has to do with their technique being better or desire for more groomer performance and stability at speed?
    This is amazing.
    Two thoughts, the first on technique and the second on gear:
    1. You need a much bigger backpack. You're making the same mistake a lot of intermediate skiers make in skiing with a small pack. A larger, heavier pack will force you to engage your core (abs should be tense or clenched in as though you were just about to be punched in the stomach) and force you to lean forward/downhill. This will keep you out of the backseat. Also, remember that skiing is an anaerobic sport and moguls doubly so. With that in mind, don't breathe. Hold your breath, clench your stomach, lean forward, and flow.
    2. Rent the skis until you answer the question for yourself.

Good luck!
    Last edited by hafjell; 08-17-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    This is amazing.
    1. You need a much bigger backpack. You're making the same mistake a lot of intermediate skiers make in skiing with a small pack. A larger, heavier pack will force you to engage your core (abs should be tense or clenched in as though you were just about to be punched in the stomach) and force you to lean forward/downhill. This will keep you out of the backseat. Also, remember that skiing is an anaerobic sport and moguls doubly so. With that in mind, don't breathe. Hold your breathe, clench your stomach, lean forward, and flow.
    2. Rent the skis until you answer the question for yourself.

Good luck!
    Listen to this guy. He knows what's up. Sometimes, I like to put three or four large cantelopes in my pack during early season moguling so I can really get the core strong (I will eat a couple of them for lunch in the lodge). Good luck!

Have you considered the Rossignol Soul 7? I can't believe it isn't on your list. It is the pinnacle of ski design and performance.

First off, they crush everything! I guarantee after 6 days on them (now known as the aevergreene threshold) you'll sell every other ski you own. They will make moguls your bitch, dude. If you get back on the tails, no worries. Soul 7's will be there for you. You'll hammer down in the bumps and go so fast you won't even need to ask women for their phone number during apres ski. They will already be in your room dropping their panties on your floor.

I know what you're thinking. There's no way this guy is serious. That's where you're wrong because if the soul 7 wasn't so damn good, why would so many people ride them? You'll be going harder than Leavenworth skier in the truck classifieds on Craigslist.

I'm telling you right now. Soul 7 is the ski for you. You can thank me by posting some titty pics of all the strange women you bed for the old degenerates on this forum to enjoy.

Soul 7 for life!!!!!!

Supergoats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re not overthinking this at all. Btw, I’ve got a used pair of soul 7s in 164cm length I’ll sell you for $100 + shipping. Also got a pair of old Rossignol Scratch with demo bindings I’ll sell for $50+ shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Listen to this guy. He knows what's up. Sometimes, I like to put three or four large cantelopes in my pack during early season moguling so I can really get the core strong (I will eat a couple of them for lunch in the lodge). Good luck!
    ahhh the melon technique, a long held secret from ski experts worldwide. My preference is watermelons so that I don't also have to carry water while I ski and hike. I've been lugging watermelons and honey dews up mountains all summer in anticipation of a good mogul ski season. My legs are jacked and getting stronger by the day that I fear I may just blow up every bump I hit this winter. Mikael Kingsbury better watch out!

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    ahhh the melon technique, a long held secret from ski experts worldwide. My preference is watermelons so that I don't also have to carry water while I ski and hike. I've been lugging watermelons and honey dews up mountains all summer in anticipation of a good mogul ski season. My legs are jacked and getting stronger by the day that I fear I may just blow up every bump I hit this winter. Mikael Kingsbury better watch out!
    I spend all summer hiking up my local hill with rocks in my pack to get stronger. I just leave them at the top of the hill. That way, in winter, I can grab a rock off my summer rock pile and use that in my pack instead of melons.

Melons work better, but as a poor ski bum I can’t afford winter fruit prices in ski towns.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    This is amazing.
    1. You need a much bigger backpack. You're making the same mistake a lot of intermediate skiers make in skiing with a small pack. A larger, heavier pack will force you to engage your core (abs should be tense or clenched in as though you were just about to be punched in the stomach) and force you to lean forward/downhill. This will keep you out of the backseat. Also, remember that skiing is an anaerobic sport and moguls doubly so. With that in mind, don't breathe. Hold your breathe, clench your stomach, lean forward, and flow.
    This is so 1980's, ditch the backpack and ski with a butt plug. Lower CoG.... you'll be thanking me later. Just don't clench too hard.

Advanced expert, huh?

And you’ve asked this on multiple ski forums? Across multiple years?

And you ski as many as 10 times a season?

And now you know why you asked this on PugSki first and not here.....

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    ahhh the melon technique...
    I heart the melon technique!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15-2.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	244371  
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I heart the melon technique!
    I'd do my workouts with those too.

Put those melons on Soul 7s or Scratch and you’ve got a match made in heaven. OP, my offer still stands. Buy my skis - they are collecting dust.

K2 Gyrators. I ripped the shit out of them back in my high school years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    K2 Gyrators. I ripped the shit out of them back in my high school years.
    til they exploded i guess?
    based on the return rate of almost 100% at the store i worked at
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Why the fuck do you keep skiing moguls?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Buy those 177 Enforcer 93/110’s that are for sale on here. Even an “advanced expert” could turn them into mogul crushers....

for "All Mountain" you will find "good" in moguls. To be "great" in the moguls a ski really needs to be sub 70mm under foot for quick edge to edge transitions. Go to Mary Jane and check out what the best bumpers are riding if you're truly spending 85% of your runs in the ruts. Or, go for something low 90s that's manageable but hardly "great". I guess the Renoun Z-90 would be the best all around ski for more than a couple bump runs here and there..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Got beat to the punch but:

Insha’Allah

There is a reason they don’t sell mogul skis. The fuck?

All things aside, do you want a twin tip? If not: Volkl Kanjo wouldn’t be a terrible idea, Blozzard Bushwacker/Brahma CR (same ski). If you want a twin Libtech wreckreate 90 and Line Honeybadger (17/18 or earlier not 17/19, as it no longer has bamboo and isn’t the same ski).
    Last edited by XavierD; 08-17-2018 at 10:05 PM.