Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Besides skiing more, you might want to watch some videos. This guy does pretty good on Brahmas:

187 Bonafides.

Indian not the arrow sort of thing.

Besides skiing more, you might want to watch some videos. This guy does pretty good on Brahmas:

Rad! Some of my best memories are of skiing spring slush bumps at Squaw and other Tahoe resorts. So fun shredding bumps with a kickass crew pushing each other down the hill faster and faster. Skiing right on your buddy’s tails while heckling him to go faster.

Man I wish I had my knees left. That was awesome.

And what 2Funky says... I wasn't that good but damn we had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    187 Bonafides.
    You're right. Could be 180's though, Caston isn't that tall.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Rad! Some of my best memories are of skiing spring slush bumps at Squaw and other Tahoe resorts. So fun shredding bumps with a kickass crew pushing each other down the hill faster and faster. Skiing right on your buddy’s tails while heckling him to go faster.
    Same same, used to ski the fuck out of the face when I worked at Heav, great times!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    You do realize the flak you’re catching is in direct proportion to your self-aggrandizement and responses to the fun being had at your expense. Some fantastic advice has been given here, take that for what it’s worth and just let the rest go. We tease each other here. It’s what we do and it’s all in the name of making ourselves laugh.
    I'm not sure I've been very self-aggrandizing... and if I did, I didn't mean to me. And I think my responses to the teasing have been nothing but good natured. I laughed my ass off at yalls replies and have been grateful for all the excellent advice. I welcome the teasing and am thrilled to find a message board where no one gives a five-hour-flying-fuck about being PC. But after making the same exact joke twice in about 24 hours, I figured I could tease a little back...

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    ...you're skiing too tall...compression and extension working together
    That makes sense. To compress and extend, neutral stance must be somewhere in between, exactly like sprung weight riding on coils. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    stirrup stretch pants were the fashion of the day
    OK, fine, I guess I'll have to hit the CO thrift stores to buy stretch pants now.

So when I see mogul skiers who strike me as really good (and I don't mean during the Olympics or on seeded race courses) and their knees and feet look like they're glued together, are they just so good that they can pretty much ski the bumps however they want, "ideal form" be damned?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    boot fitting?
    Some. I was too ignorant and bought them from a shitty store and they weren't fitted at all at the time. I got them fitted later on when I got custom orthotics made (I've got high arches and my feet fucking killed me, they don't anymore though), but all that was changed really was a little adjustment of the cuff canting. I'm sure the boots are a little too big overall.
    videos
    Holy shit. I'm fucking impressed at how he maneuvered those Brahmas in mid-air.
    Last edited by CS2-6; 08-26-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Stop pushing your turns with your heals and ski off the balls of your feet. Shins in the cuff firmly.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I'm not sure I've been very self-aggrandizing... and if I did, I didn't mean...
    Whatever. Lemme know when you're skiing Wolf Creek / Telluride this-coming season. Looks like I'll be spending the winter in SW Colorado. First beers on me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

So you’re a shitty skier, paying way too much attention to gear, when you’d be better off learning how to ski properly. That’s no big crime, and I assume many on this forum are guilty of the same. I’ll give you credit for posting a video so that we know exactly what we dealing with. It’s amusing seeing you taken to task for your cluelessness, but a pity that it’ll obviously have the effect of discouraging others to post the videos that would reveal whether or not they can walk the walk. In all seriousness, take a series of lessons, and you might get to the point where the differences between skis matter.

Agree with Koot for kudos in posting video.

I disagree that differences in skis don't matter. I think you need to be in the right ballpark of skis, but you're probably not going to suffer any setbacks because you choose one similar model over another.

My 2cents is that you shouldn't be buying a mogul specific ski, or a park ski for this task. Buy a 90ish mm waisted, medium-flexing ski with some tip rocker. 90ish waist will be decent all over the mountain and small enough to work on bump technique. Medium flex will give some compliance in the bumps, but not fold on you on groomers -- and you're not pushing hard enough to benefit from a stiffer flex. Tip rocker will make starting your turn easier and absorb a bit of chop off piste.

Buy something on the cheapish end. Spend the remainder on lessons which will make you like the ski more than another $200 on skis will. And if you can, get red ones.

OP needs Supergoats

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If you grab enough air on the first bump you only need to worry about every 4th bump thereafter.
    Air, compress, extend..air, compress, extend. And keep your hands in front.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    And equipment isn't your problem.
    This is teck talk. Equipment is ALWAYS the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Holy shit. I'm fucking impressed at how he maneuvered those Brahmas in mid-air.
    uhhhmmm.... you know who those guys are right?

Name:  Ir71.gif
Views: 612
Size:  222.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    OP needs Supergoats

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I don’t care what anyone says, that’s funny shit right there
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post

Name:  Ir71.gif
Views: 612
Size:  222.5 KB
    No, who?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

You're right. Could be 180's though, Caston isn't that tall.
    Dude was closing out his quiver here locally last week. He's not very big. All the skis for sale were 185-192 though

Make a field trip this year. Time it to do this.
    https://www.winterparkresort.com/pla...-bump-jamboree
    And your boots need to fit better too. And cut about 3" off your poles.

As far as your original question, any ski around 85-95 mm wide, not too stiff. Probably less than 185 cm long.

And bend your damn knees, that's what they are for. Legs should be together, but not always superglued. You still need independent use. And think of bumps as a series of linked recoveries, like in the (fkna rad) video.

But mainly, go to MJ, if you can't take one of Bob's clinics/lessons/camps, I will drag you around and offer pointers. I charge one beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The skilled carpenter knows the perfect tool to grab to get the job done right.
    And a Texan who skis 6 to 10 days a year in Colorado and can barely lean forward is the perfect tool!...I mean carpenter!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I used to tear up mogul fields (icy no less) in Big XXLs and stiff as a rock old school Legend Pros. I don't think you really need a specific ski for moguls unless you are on the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    No, who?
    Yeah, who? Are they members of the Teaton Gravity internet message board? That Jon E. Mosey guy is pretty good too, wonder if he'll chime in and give me some tips and tricks! DON'T FALL FOR IT

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    First beers on me.
    I'll be taking you up on this. "Stuck" in the San Juans... a nice problem to have. I'll be there the week after Christmas. Second and third beers on me.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I disagree that differences in skis don't matter...And if you can, get red ones.
    This made a lot of sense, and combined with the rest of the advice in this thread, is what I'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingSpikeDancer View Post
    But mainly, go to MJ, if you can't take one of Bob's clinics/lessons/camps, I will drag you around and offer pointers. I charge one beer.
    Thanks for the advice. And I fully intend to take you up on this too. Even if I do the Bob Bump camp, I'll get you to show me around; especially at your fee (you shouldn't've offered).

You mentioned another good point though. I should probably pay for a good boot fitting before I take the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    And a Texan who skis 6 to 10 days a year in Colorado and can barely lean forward is the perfect tool!...I mean carpenter!
    I laughed pretty hard at this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    Big XXLs
    I imagine you're a better Indian carpenter than I am though.

I'm guessing the first thing a good boot fitter will tell you is your boots are a size too big. He might also suggest a helmet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Do you turn to slow down or turn to change direction?

Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post
    boots are a size too big
    Since they're pretty comfortable, I imagine you're probably right.
    Quote Originally Posted by stearnsn View Post
    He might also suggest a helmet.
    Hahaha, fucking n00b. How the fuck do you wear a helmet on your feet?
    Jeffery Lebowski "Hmm? No, no man, she hit me right here."
    Doctor "I understand. Could you slide your shorts down please?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Do you turn to slow down or turn to change direction?
    To slow down, unless I see there's some shit I don't wanna ski over.