Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fall Days Afield 18/19

The time is nigh, in fact here in Utah, its passed. Big game season opened here 8/1 with some early antlerless tags. I was lucky enough to draw an anterless deer tag and punch an early tag and start the season off with a doe in the freezer. Heading out tomorrow to set up camp for archery elk.

Game on, folks!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

solid start, Phall. pic?

PP antlerless elk opened yesterday in CO. Archery next week. I drew either sex deer and antlerless elk, pulled small game and furbearer .. let em fly y'all.

Nice work phall. I won’t be hunting big game until November.

No pic, it was late and still hot when I found her (close to 80) so I got her taken care of as fast as possible.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

AWWWWWWW YEAH!!!!!

Pronghorn doe in WY and cow elk in CO for me this year. Got me a rifle so I'm not borrowing one yet again... Stoke level is rising.

Nice work Phall!
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Love this thread more than anything on TGR.

Fall Agenda:
    1. Hunt new puppy as much as humanly possible. Having two pointers is great but I won't be hunting them together for at least a few months, if at all this season, except for waterfowl.
    2. Western Washington archery elk hunt in September.
    3. Idaho OTC rifle elk for a few days but nothing crazy. Fun adventure but not banking on it due to time constraints.
    4. Montana sharpie and cock blast with both dogs.
    5. Idaho general deer.
    6. Idaho waterfowling
    7. Oregon waterfowl weekend
    8. NV chukar hunt weekend
    9. Eastern Oregon upland weekend.

The new pup is going to get worked!

Stoke level is rising.

Hell yeah, nice work Phall, already getting some meat in the freezer.

My elk season (antlerless/rifle) actually started yesterday but I'm not going until September. I did go out and chitchat with the rancher where I shot one last year and he was all in favor of me doing it again. Bring a partner, he said, shoot two. Okay then. Been searching for permission to hunt a place like this for many years. Still can't believe I'm in. AND I'll still have a bull tag to punch during the general season on public land, should I be so fortunate as to get a shot at one. Psyched!

I’ve got a bear tag for September, Elk either sex for first rifle, buck tag for 3rd rifle and a shit ton of vacation days saved.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Wisconsin dnr finally issued doe tags for my unit. Guaranteed to fill the freezer this year.
    My goal is to find some pintails and widgeon this season with my 3 yr old lab

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I shall once again be taking a shot at some hogs on a SC property this Saturday. While past attempts have been thwarted, I will be breaking in a new Pulsar Apex Thermal scope mounted on a 6.5 creedmore larue tactical AR. Pics to come.

Doing my final pack review right now for my DIY Brooks Range caribou hunt. Flying out Sunday. Beyond amped right now. Actually, I feel like shit this morning...couldn't sleep much last night. Just laid in bed with my mind spinning about the trip.

Not much planned after that. Will probably spend a couple days OTC deer and elk here in Idaho but won't even think about that until I get back. Shit, haven't even picked up my bow since I booked the AK trip. Just been shooting my 7 mag all summer. Did push out to a 1,000 for the first time a couple weeks ago. Certainly will never try to shoot anything that far out but 400 is starting to look a lot different than it did six months ago.

Nice! Two buddies, Utah and Idaho BHA'ers, both tagged out on the North Slope of the Brooks last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Nice! Two buddies, Utah and Idaho BHA'ers, both tagged out on the North Slope of the Brooks last week.
    Whose your ID buddy? Wouldn't mind asking a few last minute ?s one BHA'er to another if they'd be cool with that. It's my first time to AK...seems a lot different than what I'm used to. Plus with plane weight limits, I've got a couple things I'm deciding between bringing.

PM sent

Let’s bump this back up TTT!
    NYS Bow opens in a month!
    Ski buddies all hunt too...we are seriously considering trading in a ski trip out west for a Montana public land elk hunt In the next couple years.

Bow season has started, overnight temps are forecast to go to 3C Tues morning, and the lobsters have returned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1034.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	245985
    A week or so, rain permitting, the matsutakes should be making an appearance. This time of year is almost as perfect as winter!

Elk are getting active! Helped a friend get his first elk last saturday, then been in elk every day I have been out since. Today had a stud Utah general unit bull come in at 100 bugling with his cows, he didn't want any of my replies, and took off. Sitting on the water watching a really nice buck across the canyon, this guy stepped out at 40 and since I've never shot a buck, he met my forked horn requirement and is now going to become dinner. Two more elk tags then its duck season.

Shooting grouse, wrangling trout and glassing elk.... All followed by college football. Fall is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Elk are getting active! Helped a friend get his first elk last saturday, then been in elk every day I have been out since. Today had a stud Utah general unit bull come in at 100 bugling with his cows, he didn't want any of my replies, and took off. Sitting on the water watching a really nice buck across the canyon, this guy stepped out at 40 and since I've never shot a buck, he met my forked horn requirement and is now going to become dinner. Two more elk tags then its duck season.
    Delicious.

Name:  40575752_10103517349140990_3357379216638214144_n.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  262.2 KB

Nice!

Had about a dozen elk (Roosevelt) grazing some of our pastures this morning. Beautiful tasty animals. Hopefully they are around during our 4 day season....

Was out camping/fishing on lower Yellowstone this weekend and as I'm sitting on the bank early morning and a guys comes blasting by in full camo and a pack with his bow.........on a 1980s jetski! It was fucking awesome! Woulda loved to see how he packed out an elk on that thing.

Anyways good luck guys.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Was out camping/fishing on lower Yellowstone this weekend and as I'm sitting on the bank early morning and a guys comes blasting by in full camo and a pack with his bow.........on a 1980s jetski! It was fucking awesome! Woulda loved to see how he packed out an elk on that thing.

Anyways good luck guys.
    That's the best thing I've heard in a while.

Fall Days Afield 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post

Anyways good luck guys.
    Awesome on a stick!
    Nice work phall!