Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Hank Shaw's "Buck Buck Moose" is phenomenal. I think it was mentioned previously here.

https://www.amazon.com/L-L-Bean-Game.../dp/0394511913

This is another good one - I haven't tried a recipe from it yet that wasn't great.
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    So it seems you CAN hunt shoulder season on some BMAs and State/BLM, but not on NF land. I've already shifted focus to research for next season, but I would like to help a buddy get a cow this season (and get some free meat out of the deal). He has never shot any big game animal and I have just as much fun when someone else fills their tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So it seems you CAN hunt shoulder season on some BMAs and State/BLM, but not on NF land. I've already shifted focus to research for next season, but I would like to help a buddy get a cow this season (and get some free meat out of the deal). He has never shot any big game animal and I have just as much fun when someone else fills their tag.
    Hmmm, my understanding was you could hunt only private land, including Block Management Areas that allowed it (each one has specific rules that I guess the landowner comes up with, and the shoulder dates they allow rifle elk hunting vary). And then maybe some state trust lands, but I think maybe that's different than regular state-owned land?.. But in Region 2 anyway I'm pretty sure you can't hunt BLM during the shoulder season, or any federal public land.

Edit: Just looked at some regs for region 3 districts (like 393) and I think you are actually correct. They don't really spell it out though, just say "not valid on National Forest land." So BLM and state land is okay? Confusing. But in any case it doesn't really apply to me in region 2, that's private land only, excluding timber company land.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Hmmm, my understanding was you could hunt only private land, including Block Management Areas that allowed it (each one has specific rules that I guess the landowner comes up with, and the shoulder dates they allow rifle elk hunting vary). And then maybe some state trust lands, but I think maybe that's different than regular state-owned land?.. But in Region 2 anyway I'm pretty sure you can't hunt BLM during the shoulder season, or any federal public land.

Edit: Just looked at some regs for region 3 districts (like 393) and I think you are actually correct. They don't really spell it out though, just say "not valid on National Forest land." So BLM and state land is okay? Confusing. But in any case it doesn't really apply to me in region 2, that's private land only, excluding timber company land.
    Yeah, it's super confusing. My buddy actually went into the FWP office to ask and they were like, "Yup. You can still hunt cows, just not on NF land." Like you said, lots of the BMA have their own restrictions. Huge BMA here ended all elk hunting on 11/25 unfortunately, but there are a couple that allow it until 2/15. I have some BLM that I am gonna glass one evening this week and see if anything turns up.

Little Sam turned 9 months today and celebrated with a limit of roosters on public ground. It was distinctly the first hunt in which she did not hunt like a puppy, but was focused and searching with purpose for three hours. She found maybe seven pheasant all together, pointing about half, including the pair of roosters I doubled on. So fun.

Been pretty slow around SLC, limited birds, but glassing and scouting does pay off. Have been able to get a few here, few there.
    Winter green:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6153.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	544.2 KB 
ID:	261624

Shot this absolute stud on the river:

Name:	IMG_6155.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	671.4 KB 
ID:	261625

And snuck out 2 greenheads on Saturday, 5 total between the two of us on Sunday out at Farmington:

Name:	IMG_6169.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	261626

Season runs through 1/15, but I'll probably hang it up after two more days this coming weekend. Its been a good run and the freezer is pretty damned full.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

PSA:

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has asked for our help. Please share this post!

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Police are looking for information regarding the poaching of five Whitetail does in the vicinity of the Wooten Wildlife Area in Columbia County. After receiving a concerned citizen’s report, Sergeant Paul Mosman and Officer Ricky Delp found five partially butchered deer at Campground Nine on the Wooten WLA on January 15th. Based on evidence at the scene, it appeared the deer had been shot during the night/early morning of January 14th-15th and then brought to the campground to be butchered, with primarily only the back straps and rear quarters taken. If anyone has any information, please call Sergeant Paul Mosman at 509-710-5707 or Officer Ricky Delp at 509-780-2746. Tips can be given anonymously and may be eligible for a reward.

Paul Mosman
    Fish and Wildlife Sergeant
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    Law Enforcement Program
    1049 Port Way
    Clarkston, WA 99403

509-710-5707
    Paul.Mosman@dfw.wa.gov
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

And this just in. Be careful about what you eat.

As more than 20 states report cases of a brain-wasting animal disease informally called "zombie" deer disease, officials worry that humans could be affected.

Chronic wasting disease has been found in deer, elk and/or moose in at least 24 states and two Canadian provinces since the start of the year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. There are no vaccines or treatments available for the disease, which is always fatal.

"It is probable that human cases of chronic wasting disease associated with consumption with contaminated meat will be documented in the years ahead," said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. "It’s possible the number of human cases will be substantial and will not be isolated events."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-zomb...161141676.html
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Undoubtedly hundreds of thousands of animals with chronic wasting disease have been unknowingly consumed by humans, and there has yet to be a documented case of a person contracting the disease. So it's hard to know how seriously to take the threat to humans (obviously it's a huge threat to game populations). Nobody wants to throw away a freezer full of wild game meat, that much we do know. I had one of my deer tested this year, just out of curiosity. You need to cut out the lymph nodes, put them in a bag, and send them away. Takes a couple weeks, and even then it's not foolproof. Mine came back negative. My other deer I did not have tested, so...who knows.

270lbs of pork! Smoker will be busy for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Awesome man. That’ll eat well.

A boar

Another pig
    550lbs of pigs, about 100-120lbs of pork and I just finished trimming, cutting and separating to freeze.
    Total pork apocalypse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm, pork.

True that those wild hogs aren't fat enough to cut bacon off of? Shame, really.

Fall Days Afield 18/19

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Mmmm, pork.

True that those wild hogs aren't fat enough to cut bacon off of? Shame, really.
    In this case it was. Loins, Boston Butts, rear hams, front shoulders all good. Not much in the way of rib meat, fat back or pork belly. Overall too lean to warrant cutting it up. Still have 120-150lbs of pork though.
    Although if I ever see this guy in camera again, I don’t think there will be an issue with fattier cuts of pork

Will be my first attempt at ID Turkey's this Spring. Killed a few in CA. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Will be my first attempt at ID Turkey's this Spring. Killed a few in CA. Looking forward to it.
    I drew my backyard unit this year. Just about a month until the season starts but with the snowpack this year they'll be down so low I may be sneaking into backyards to find them.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    so are turkeys the beginning of the 19/20 hunting season or the end of the 18/19 season? I used to consider the last Duck split the end of the hunting season.
    our Turkey private land season in SC starts 3/16 for youth and 3/20 for general on private land. I have already seen a ton of birds

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    so are turkeys the beginning of the 19/20 hunting season or the end of the 18/19 season? I used to consider the last Duck split the end of the hunting season.
    our Turkey private land season in SC starts 3/16 for youth and 3/20 for general on private land. I have already seen a ton of birds
    Good question, I'd think they kick off the 19/20? Haven't gotten down south yet, hearing mixed results, still a lot of snow in the hills.

Picking up this little dude this weekend, couldn't be more excited to get him working this Summer and see where he's at by Fall.