Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Only a couple weeks until ruffed grouse season and I've finally had some time to work with my brittany pup. Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend enough time training him for some puppy trials this fall, but we'll be in the woods in a couple weeks going after some grouse.

This is a pigeon in a remote launcher. This is his third bird and I'm pleased with his ability to hold that long with so few birds and that he's only 8 months old.

Took a 150-yard shot ay a cow elk this week, first morning out. We searched two hours and found not a speck of blood. A complete whiff?! Never missed at that range before. I was too busy trying to get my buddy an elk (he was 50 yards away and couldn't see them) and by the time I realized the opportunity was slipping away I aimed too fast and pulled the trigger. Knew immediately it was a poor decision. Lesson: When a shot presents itself, don't worry about anybody else. Focus on the task at hand.

Back to the range this week to make sure the gun is still zeroed. Pretty sure it is, I just blew it. Strange way to start the season. Hopefully I can get my head straight and be more mentally prepared if and when I get another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Took a 150-yard shot ay a cow elk this week, first morning out. We searched two hours and found not a speck of blood. A complete whiff?! Never missed at that range before. I was too busy trying to get my buddy an elk (he was 50 yards away and couldn't see them) and by the time I realized the opportunity was slipping away I aimed too fast and pulled the trigger. Knew immediately it was a poor decision. Lesson: When a shot presents itself, don't worry about anybody else. Focus on the task at hand.

Back to the range this week to make sure the gun is still zeroed. Pretty sure it is, I just blew it. Strange way to start the season. Hopefully I can get my head straight and be more mentally prepared if and when I get another chance.
    Been there, done that. A fresh sight in is all you need to rebuild that confidence.

Zone in, zone out. Then the real work begins.

You got this.

Hunting guide killed in Wyoming bear attack

https://kbzk.com/news/outdoors/2018/...g-bear-attack/

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Only a couple weeks until ruffed grouse season and I've finally had some time to work with my brittany pup. Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend enough time training him for some puppy trials this fall, but we'll be in the woods in a couple weeks going after some grouse.

This is a pigeon in a remote launcher. This is his third bird and I'm pleased with his ability to hold that long with so few birds and that he's only 8 months old.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8653.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	918.0 KB 
ID:	247696
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Tough week out there.

We had an either sex elk tag and buck tag for muzzy. It barely hit freezing at night and was high 60s in the day at 10K.

We had several bulls talking last Saturday to Wednesday in very high thick bowls, but we weren't able to get into a favorable position for an open sight shot, as they were moving quite quickly, nor did they take a step towards our calls. It seems like the entire rut was delayed. After Wednesday, they shut up, and we didn't see anything beyond that day. Many bowls that were typically nice and wet were bone dry.

Mule deer, oh boy, what a doozie.
    Day 1 - Dad has a shot at a nice 3x3. 35 yards. Miss. 0/1
    Day 3 - Dad has a nice shot at a TALL 5x5. It would have been the biggest buck he has ever taken. 30 yards. Miss. 0/2
    Day 5 - I have a nice 3x3 come into the meadow, broadside at 60 yards. I pull up and bring back the hammer. Fire. Click. Bad primer. I toss it and try to get a fresh one in and the buck busts me. 0/3.

Shit happens! Better luck with my leftover tags in November.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 09-17-2018 at 12:23 PM.

I hear ya on the tough week. Took a week off for the last week of the general, went to an area in the Uintas and basically walked around with my thumb up my ass. Busted what I think was one single elk. Heard two bugles before/after shooting, and put my tail between my legs and headed home after 2 days. Decided to hunt locally as I had seen elk every day in this one drainage. Walking in Sunday afternoon someone is hauling out a dandy 6pt bull. Hunted in there every day between Sunday and Friday AM, and did not see or hear an elk. On to the extended, and the rifle/muzzy (thanks for the three season tags, UT).

Anyone in SLC have a place I can park a small duck boat? Deal is too good to pass up but don't really have the storage at my house.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Fuck. 8k private acres bordering national forest = this was way too easy. It will taste fucking good though.

I need a couple seasons of slogging around on BLM like normal people to get back to reality.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pretty buck. Do I see a cheater on his right side?

He's got some interesting palmation on his right side.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Fuck. 8k private acres bordering national forest = this was way too easy. It will taste fucking good though.

I need a couple seasons of slogging around on BLM like normal people to get back to reality.

Fucking nice
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Brother's buck from this AM might be even better. More mass in the base of the rack.

We needed some meat on here! Nice job.

Solid deer! I've been waiting for this to get bumped up! Been taking the 20ga out for lots of walks, solid grouse numbers in Utah, freezer is getting full. Shot my first cottontail Monday. I'm having a birthday party Saturday and doing up lots of game, I'll try to take some pics! Waterfowl opens Sat in Utah and I just got a boat so things are going to be real good this year!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

A couple photos of animals shot by the guides I was hunting with earlier in the week. Nutty.

Decent start to the waterfowl season around here.
    Set up on a river bend Saturday and snuck out 6 birds between the two of us, all mallards, skunked sunday out on the bigger water, then headed up for a jump shoot last night, shot my limit but one of the greenheads came back to life and took off from the water as I was walking up to him, and his hen dove and drowned herself.

Name:	ducks1.1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	675.0 KB 
ID:	250436

Name:	ducks2.2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	641.9 KB 
ID:	250437

You see this little Diddy from our neck of the woods? http://www.unionleader.com/safety/Hu...-duck-10032018

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Damn!

Awesome Phall! My waterfowl season opens Saturday. Per our scouting, it’s looking like a honker smack down.

No good pics yet but I got out upland hunting for my time hunting and got a couple huns. Now to buy a lighter shotgun so I don't have to lug my buddy's extra duck gun around. Why didn't someone tell me bird hunting is fun as hell 10 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    You see this little Diddy from our neck of the woods? http://www.unionleader.com/safety/Hu...-duck-10032018

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    That's one tough old dude right there.

I got stuck in a muddy marsh up to my chest once when I was alone, and I recall there being a few minutes of sheer panic when I didn't know if I was going to be able to get free of the muck or not. Spending 33 hours like that? Holy crap.

Opening day of waterfowl ‘18 is in the books.
    We were hoping to really slay the geese but the water dropped a foot in a week making it impossible to get up river to our spot, even in a surface drive mud boat.
    We had to go to plan B which was a spot down river that the geese really weren’t using as a loafing spot.
    Once we fine tuned our decoys and our hide I was able to smack a limit in no time. My buddy only killed a few, his shooting was sub optimal.
    Well the geese never showed up and my battery on my phone decided to take a shit so I was only able to grab this one photo.
    Beautiful day on the river.

Name:	IMG_3538.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	897.9 KB 
ID:	250939

I started hunting last year and managed to shoot a wt doe for my first animal. I've been putting in a ton of time both on the ground and researching / learning at home. Connected with my first buck last Monday morning. Feels great to have it all come together and to have some high quality meat to feed my boys.

Name:	IMG_9143.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	251038

Name:	IMG_9176.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	251039

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Great deer! We use the bike trailer method for ducks out here quite a bit. A really useful tool!

Name:  image1.PNG
Views: 226
Size:  396.4 KB

You never know what you're going to find hunting Sharpies and Huns.
    The elk gods seem to be favoring me this year.

Name:	IMG_4634.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	251092

Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  201.3 KB

Still have another bull tag in Colorado that starts next month.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.