Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chamonix, Verbier, Geneva, ZUrich

Hi

Planning to visit Chamonix (4 days) and Verbier(4 days) in late Feb. I have been to Chamonix before but not Verbier.
    Love off-piste.

1) What are my transfer options from Chamonix to Verbier. Heard there is a bus on Thursdays ONLY and only if they have
    30 passengers. Is this true. How much does a private transfer cost. Really don't want to do train to Martigny then le chable then to Verbier. Looking for a simple transfer.

2) What are my transfer options Verbier to Zurich. I need to be in Budapest after this trip. I see that there are many more options to get to Budapest from Zurich then there are from Geneva. are there any shared transfers from Verbier to Zurch. or trains which don't require changes.

3) Any referral for off-piste guides (group) in Verbier?

Thanks
    Marty

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post

1)Heard there is a bus on Thursdays ONLY and only if they have
    30 passengers.
    this shuttle was no longer running when we were there last yr. even though all the info online made it appear that it was still operating
    skid luxury

I thought the train was super easy and cool. Skied to Vallorcine East, train station right there. 1 change in Martigny, hour wait and up to Le Chable and then get out walk to the gondy up to Verbier. OK, maybe as an American, where none of this shit exists, I was tweezed and I thought it was great.

Really don't want to do train to Martigny then le chable then to Verbier. Looking for a simple transfer.

2) What are my transfer options Verbier to Zurich. I need to be in Budapest after this trip. I see that there are many more options to get to Budapest from Zurich then there are from Geneva. are there any shared transfers from Verbier to Zurch. or trains which don't require changes.
    Short story: no direct trains.
    If you can't ski to Vallorcine, a la Buster, I think you're stuck on the bus from Cham to train to train station in Vallorcine, switch trains in Martigny to Le Chable to Verbier. Would be simpler but more expensive to hire a car.
    Likewise Verbier to Zurich. From Le Chable, switch in Martigny, switch in Visp. Good news from there as it appears the train runs from Visp to the airport.

Last year, the train route from Cham to Martigny was closed due to work on the tracks.

sbb.com and sncf.com now show that it's open, so no bus required, but it looks like a required train change in Vallorcine.

I had a bad experience on that Thursday Cham to Verbier bus.

We all piled into that bus, that sat there idling for ages, seemed like it was leaving really late. I figured maybe we'd get there by 10am?

After what seemed like forever, they informed us that they had sold one too many tickets and that they were going to have to switch buses.

So we had to wait for another bus to come, then all file out and onto the new bus.

i think we got there at like 11:30 am, with the bus leaving back for Cham at 3 or 3:30.

3 hours to ski Verbier, kind of a bummer.

I'd find other means if available, just my story.

Verbier to Zurich via public transportation is a hassle but doable. If you can find a cheap car, may be worth renting tbh.

If you do an evening in Zurich, let me know. If I’m not on a mountain, can do beers.

As Buster said get the Train from Cham to Verbier. As for Verbier to Zurich? Why not just get the train to Budapest, probably faster than getting to Zurich and then the fuss involved with flying.
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    As Buster said get the Train from Cham to Verbier. As for Verbier to Zurich? Why not just get the train to Budapest, probably faster than getting to Zurich and then the fuss involved with flying.
    Verbier to Budapest by rail, while beautiful, would be an 18 hour nightmare involving 6 to 8 transfers. Fastest route might even run through Zürich Hbf.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Verbier to Budapest by rail, while beautiful, would be an 18 hour nightmare involving 6 to 8 transfers. Fastest route might even run through Zürich Hbf.
    There is a direct night train from Zurich to Budapast.

Quote Originally Posted by selle View Post
    There is a direct night train from Zurich to Budapast.
    Not according to Swiss Bahn. Every trip requires at least one transfer, and most require many more. Perhaps in the winter, there is a direct train?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Not according to Swiss Bahn. Every trip requires at least one transfer, and most require many more. Perhaps in the winter, there is a direct train?
    there's a euronight train Zurich to Budapest (Kalman Imre) time is quoted as 12 hours with a change in Salzburg (might not be an actual train change, just a reshuffling of cars). I like night trains, so it wouldn't be a nightmare to me, but its not for everyone.

it's about the same timewise (~4 hrs for the best on both routes) and train changes to got to Malpensa as Zurich from Le chable; cheap direct flights to budapest from MXP.

It seems to be getting cancelled atm since there is a lot of construction work happening in Switzerland. Trains should be back to normal by September...

Here is some info from the ÖBB which runs the train: https://www.nightjet.com/en/reiseziele/ungarn.html It normally leaves Zurich at 9:40 PM and arrives in Budapast at 9:20 AM

You could take the train to Martigny and then get a taxi to Verbier (just guessing that it would run you about 100 CHFs for a taxi based on the distance/time).

For connections to Budapest, check Basel airport as well. Easyjet has better service to non-UK destinations from Basel as compared to Zurich. I imagine a winter flight to Budapest will be less than 50 CHFs as well.

Can't really help you on direct trains from Verbier to anywhere but as stated before, the transfers in Swiss train stations are pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Verbier to Zurich via public transportation is a hassle but doable. If you can find a cheap car, may be worth renting tbh.

If you do an evening in Zurich, let me know. If I’m not on a mountain, can do beers.

I dont think that it is a hassle but it would be nice to get dropped off at a train station. Then you should be able to to something like: Sion -> Visp -> Zurich.

And then lets do the beers. You could also try to pm me on a short notice (like 2 weeks prior or something) and maybe we can arrange to ski together and I take you with me to Zurich on my way back.

Concerning night trains it might be that the sbb does not show them but it seems there is an offer. Maybe write them an e-mail to check for the details. Skis on the plane are always stressful, too. Otherwise there is a ÖBB night jet to vienna - so maybe with one change of trains you could do it over night and get some sleep on the train.

Flight booked, and backup lodging confirmed in Chamonix for the week after New Years. Fingers crossed that Ullr provides.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The train from Cham to Verbier is very simple and reliable (2.5 hour trip or so), and coming into Martigny on the fixed cable is pretty cool. I live in Verbier in the winters and head to Cham and back that way a few times a year. Otherwise, a good option would be to rent a car on the French side at GVA, drive to Cham (hour-ish), then to Verbier (hour-ish), and fly to Budapest from GVA. Might be the cheapest and easiest.

Look into Powder Extreme for offpiste guiding and take a look at fatmaps to get an idea of the terrain you might want to ski.

Hi

Planning to visit Chamonix (4 days) and Verbier(4 days) in late Feb. I have been to Chamonix before but not Verbier.
    Love off-piste.

1) What are my transfer options from Chamonix to Verbier. Heard there is a bus on Thursdays ONLY and only if they have
    30 passengers. Is this true. How much does a private transfer cost. Really don't want to do train to Martigny then le chable then to Verbier. Looking for a simple transfer.

3) Any referral for off-piste guides (group) in Verbier?

Thanks
    Marty
    Nice trip! As above, unless you’re minted, train is really the only option between Cham and Verbier unless you manage to blag a lift on the Cham or Verb FB lift sharing pages. Or hitch if you’re feeling lucky🍀

Private transfer is going to cost 💶💶💶. As an indication, it’s 170chf just from Martigny to Verbier and from Cham it’s more than double the distance from Martigny. You might be able to convince a Cham seasonnaire with a car to take you - best bet to find someone is FB Cham group.

For Budapest there’s a (usually cheap) Easyjet flight from Geneva. That would easier than getting to Zürich which is the best part of 5 hours by train and anyway the quickest route takes you back via Lausanne.

AFAIK Powder Extreme is the only gig doing group off piste guiding but only on specific weeks - best contact them directly. If you’re there on a weekend day PM me closer to the date.
    Last edited by bobinch; 11-01-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Whats the deal with the lifts in Cham?
    I'm having a hard time finding out all the accurate information in one place.

chamonix.com? what are you missing? What areas do you include into "chamonix"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    https://www.chamonix.com/
    https://www.bergfex.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/

Grands Montets cable car is out for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    https://www.chamonix.net/english/lif...ms/lift-passes

Generally, just buy the Mont Blanc Unlimited. You get Verb on Courmayer days included.

Mr. Pow, your best bet is what they call a "shared transfer" over there. There are about a million shuttle companies in Cham. I'm not sure the exact system, but it is some type of cartel. Basically, if you get the world out via email that you need to get some Cham to Verb on a certain day, it will probably happen. You won't know exactly who is coming to pick up some but some sketchy euro will rally a 2WD mini bus to your hotel and make it happen.

Does not look like any pricing for Mt. Blanc Unlimited ski passes after "High" Season ends on April 5....will there still be lifts spinning (besides the Aiguille) beyond that date?
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.