Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
Thanks again for all of the awesome advice and recs in this thread. I ended up settling on Lofoten, Norway. Something about the cold, martitime climate seems very appealing. It also helped that somehow, some way the airline gods made it so that an open jaw itinerary DEN->AMS, EVE->DEN was $600 cheaper than DEN->AMS->DEN, so I get to expense a flight to Lofoten.

Seems like September in Northern Norway has a chance for seeing the northern lights. I got snowed out on northern lights in Iceland a few years ago. Fingers crossed.
Late to the party, but Slovenia would have been my rec, but Lofoten is hard to complain about. We camped/hitchhiked our way along the islands a few years ago; can't really go wrong up there. Really liked Henningsvær and a few days around Fredvang; hiking out to Kvalvika for sunset. The vertical nature of the place is crazy. Pretty much step off the road and go straight up mountains as you please.

A friend picked this up a few years ago as well, and we've been dying to get back and ski: http://www.nordnorskklatreskole.no/shop.html