Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Danke.

Now to research whether haute-route type guided tours in the area. It seems like every version of the Urner uses the Albert Heim hut which isn't available this year. I think you directed me to this outfit: http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN/ur...ute-route.html
    Yeah, Danny and Serigna are awesome and the go -to guides in the area, It's so stupid easy to sample around Andermatt via rail.

Ask Danny about the Urner, he'll know how to finesse any obstacles if it's at all possible.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Yeah, skiing with a guide is inherently handholding and only done by Americans.
    skiing named routes has been, ime, more inherently anglophone, yes. what's really american is wanting someone to do all the work to lay out info and then booking with someone else. I'm as guilty as some others on that front

fwiw, I've skied in guided groups with Germans, Austrians and Swiss around Amatt, skied guided with French and Swedes and no guides with Spanish and English in La Grave and Danes in Alagna.

And we skied a bunch of the routes off the Gemstock and Engleberg with no guide.

So, whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Learn to fuckin yodel

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Greg?

greg is an icon here

As others have pointed out - what's your target segment? Luxury, adventurers, techies or ?????
    Segment then look at size and needs of each - which can you most easily support with the largest membership?
    Then, absolutely make everything cater to that audience. Ski adventurers/haute routers? 24/7 laundry, free snack package to take with you, full repair bench and extra dynafit parts etc.
    Lux? Get a sommelier to stock a good limited cellar, upgrade bath products and partner with local masseuse to come on site.

It's all about extras that others won't give that market.

In the chalet, fold carfaxes into animal shapes to leave on their pillows

you need a good lobby boy & concierge service. I hear these guys are good:

Name:  grand-budapest-concierge.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  163.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    As others have pointed out - what's your target segment? Luxury, adventurers, techies or ?????
    Segment then look at size and needs of each - which can you most easily support with the largest membership?
    Then, absolutely make everything cater to that audience. Ski adventurers/haute routers? 24/7 laundry, free snack package to take with you, full repair bench and extra dynafit parts etc.
    Lux? Get a sommelier to stock a good limited cellar, upgrade bath products and partner with local masseuse to come on site.

It's all about extras that others won't give that market.
    Well, our is a small size old Hotel which we are slowly remodeling, keeping in mid our target: sporty travelers. Our rooms are simple, new and relatively small, our prices go along with it.
    This summer has been great, but we did not have a single guest that stayed here to hike, bike or climb, we either had families or motorcycle riders... which is great but I'd also like to meet likeminded folks to share a few beers with

Like-minded folks don't necessarily pay the bills though. Do your research on viability first. Also, sometimes that means your work (housekeeping etc) would align more directly with their needs vs your ability to get out.

I'm guessing there is good access to ski touring in the area. It'd be useful to see some of that info on your website - links to websites with route info, local guiding services, avalanche/weather reports, etc. A quick Google search for "ski touring sedrun switzerland" got me here: https://disentis-sedrun.graubuenden....ding-ski-tours

Been considering a trip to Yurp April 2019 or 2020 for some spring skiing and then head south into Italy for a few days. We'll swing by your place if/when we make it.

Work with local guiding outfits to refer clients your way before/after/during ski trips? As someone who has never skied Yurp, I'd probably trust a guide to recommend a decent place, especially if it was small-ish and lined up with my budget.

Aggregate a bunch of information about the recreational opportunities.
    From Airolo to Flims there's Andermatt-Disentis complex and Obersaxen that is easy access via rail and short bus transfers. So much variety and options, more than one can cover in 2 weeks.

This is not known in America. But it's one of my favorite places to ski.

You can shoulder the task of disseminating that information. I'd try to work with other people in the area to get the information out there.

Andermatt is one of the snowiest places in the Alps, storms come from all directions and if folks know that there's a good chance of fresh snow, they would come.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I'm guessing there is good access to ski touring in the area. It'd be useful to see some of that info on your website - links to websites with route info, local guiding services, avalanche/weather reports, etc. A quick Google search for "ski touring sedrun switzerland" got me here: https://disentis-sedrun.graubuenden....ding-ski-tours

Been considering a trip to Yurp April 2019 or 2020 for some spring skiing and then head south into Italy for a few days. We'll swing by your place if/when we make it.
    Google Oberalpstock to Bristen skitour. It's 8000 vertical foot drop, doable in a day : http://www.hikr.org/tour/post62125.html .

You end up in the Maderental where there's a ton of farmers trams that access huttes and lots of tours. Again, ask Dan Loutrel via http://www.andermatt-guides.ch/EN/about.html

I've used airBnB and booking.com in Spain & portugal, why not switzerland?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I dont know shot about .marketing, but get word out on sites such as this for skiing...PM Greg at alpinezone, MB, climbing g forms, etc. Ppsting TRs about what your guests are doing, etc. Dont di ig in a spamming way, ie one picture then a link to your website, but post some.stoke and be a bit involved.

I wod.love to stay at your place, it is exactly the type of place I prefer, and I might be showing up when I am.in Europe this spring.

Now, about those mag discounts

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

BTW, cater to the motorcycle crowd, they have lots of money in their pockets.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I see mag discounts are a big thing... I wonder why!!!
    For Mags I could do a happy happy hour with free beer after skiing.... mhmm I could go bankrupt before I Know it.... but I would have lots of new friends:-).-)
    Don't worry I'll have some specials when the time comes...

I think the Tgoms tram runs in the winter which gives access to this tour up the Piz Maler, with 800 meters of climbing for 1400 meter North facing vertical ski down to pick up the train back to Sedrun @ Tschamut :

https://regio.outdooractive.com/oar-...11430208/#dm=1

This is the kind of stuff about this region that's so fucking cool and nobody knows about.

Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    I see mag discounts are a big thing... I wonder why!!!
    For Mags I could do a happy happy hour with free beer after skiing.... mhmm I could go bankrupt before I Know it.... but I would have lots of new friends:-).-)
    Don't worry I'll have some specials when the time comes...
    You will be much better off to give us the rooms for free and charge for the beer.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    sure, who's in?
    Do Engleberg->Goeschenen(Andermatt)->Sedrun(Disentis)->Davos->Montafon by train?

It's so easy, in & out through Zurich.

A warm up day or 2 in E-berg, then down to Goeschenen, and if the avie danger isn't too high, tour up into Danny & Serigna's hutte for a couple of days, then back down, ski Andermatt or Airolo, rail over to Sedrun, party at the Mountain Lodge, do a day in Disentis, with the big tour over the Oberalpstock, back down to Bristen, bus and train back to Sedrun, another Disentis day, then roll to Davos for 2 days, roll to Montafon?

Depending on stability, there's a route that goes from Klosters (Davos) up over the Madrisa and down to Gargellen where there's regular Montafon bus routes, Drink to Hemingway in Schruns!
    D00D, I am so there.

As well as Silverton this year. And you'll be attending SorryDude BBI19, I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    D00D, I am so there.

As well as Silverton this year. And you'll be attending SorryDude BBI19, I assume.
    My schedule is up in the air; will be in Silverton/T'ride/Aspen for my usual 3 weeks just don't know exactly when. Will ping.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    nothing sorrydude about 19BBIbut Solitude will work

ifin buster wants to carry the lighter from US to Yurp for a 20BBI, well i’d be honored ifin you were to ski in my place!
    Tranq it up Bobby, hop on the plane and c'mon along. You gotta ski Yurp, it's so mindblowing wandering around stony streets, getting dried meats, cheese, bread, checking out the chapels and 500 year old buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    My schedule is up in the air; will be in Silverton/T'ride/Aspen for my usual 3 weeks just don't know exactly when. Will ping.

Tranq it up Bobby, hop on the plane and c'mon along. You gotta ski Yurp, it's so mindblowing wandering around stony streets, getting dried meats, cheese, bread, checking out the chapels and 500 year old buildings.
    You have a good plan and seems also a fun group, at this point, just come over, we'll host you for a couple of days and you can do some advertising for us....

OK. I know I can get to Andermatt in 2+ hours from the Zurich airport on the train, including riding that cool little cog railline up from Goeschenen, so it's about 3 hours to your place, right?

Does the train stop at Rueras? There's a like 3 or 4 stops after Tschamut before Sedrun.

If we can get off at Rueras, it's less than 500 feet to your hotel.

Last time I rode it to Andermatt, it cost less than $20US.

A lot of people don't understand how easy it is to ride the train from Zurich to skiing and the amount of access it provides.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 08-14-2018 at 01:11 PM.