Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Montana Roadtrip. Tour of to be closed trails

On a roadtrip to Montana to look at what really matters for mountain-biking. Trails.

Rode Roostercomb - 313 - Kent Lake out and back with Lance P showing us around. Uncrowded trails with a wonderfully technical backcountry flavour and not a berm in sight.
    In the Bitterroot valley close to Hamilton Montana, two sides who both enjoy the outdoors have clashed with lawsuits ensuing to each press their own views.
    On one side mountainbikers and motorized users local to the Valley have a broad view feeling that they should be allowed to recreate on federal lands.

On the other side Wilderness groups from outside the valley have a more restrictive view asserting that hiking, skiing and horseback is the only way that should be allowed.

Mountainbikers and motorized have won a reprieve. It may be shortlived (Wilderness groups are tenacious litigants): so enjoy sanctioned riding in the 110 miles of alpine Montana trails in this valley while you can.

nice, you in helena next weekend?

I'll be in blue tacoma with 4WC on it. rocky pipeline

Aaaaand it’s closed again. You guys squeezed that one in perfectly! Maybe it was tactical to get some free trail maintenance . What a crock of shit. Glad you guys got to enjoy those!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On this day 110 miles of the Bitterroot in Montana (1/4 of singletrack in the area and it's best alpine trails) become illegal. In the spirit of cooperation and goodwill to all the Wilderness movement obtained a trail closure order banning bikes and motos from a good chunk of Forest Service lands

We aborted a ride on Razorback Ridge due to a mechanical. On getting back to town we discovered biking in a large chunk of the alpine was now illegal.

Instead we went off to ride the still legal Crystal Creek and found that the quality of trails in the area are still acceptable with a good level of jank and a distinct absence of golden berms
    Last edited by LeeLau; 08-12-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Didn't take long for your thread title to be accurate.

BooHiss
    I blame e-bikes
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Random question, but is your buddy wearing Patagonia puckerware shirts? I have lots of those but have never thought of wearing them for Mountain biking!

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I think in one pic he is wearing a Stio shirt (the orange one). I just got that shirt...I have never had anything that dried more quickly.

Button up short sleeve? I'd be interested in a link if you think of it later...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Relevant irony:
    Patagonia gives money to WWA
    https://winterwildlands.org/about-wi...annual-report/

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Aaaaand it’s closed again. You guys squeezed that one in perfectly! Maybe it was tactical to get some free trail maintenance . What a crock of shit. Glad you guys got to enjoy those!!
    What happened now? Got a trip planned for 2nd week of Sept. Will have to change some ride plans now.

bummer...
    From the BBC facebook page:
    To say we are shocked, is an understatement. The Sapphire and Blue Joint WSAs are once again closed to bikes. We hope you jumped on your chance to ride in the Sapphires and Blue Joint. At this all I can say is we are proud of the 250 volunteer hours and 500 trees, and 20+ miles of trail we managed to clear for the benefit of everyone,
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/bitte...d=FSEPRD591183
    Looking forward to more photos Lee, have fun!

fucking shit god damn it i was going to ride all of these in september

Missed this the first time around.
    Assholes have now closed it again after the Bitterroot Backcountry Cyclists cleared it all out for them.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    fucking shit god damn it i was going to ride all of these in september
    Just ride em. Who is going to stop you? There is probably like 1 LEO covering the 1.6 million acres that comprises the Bitterroot national forest.

Send them a bill for the work.

I don't disagree that the chances of getting caught are absolutely minimal and I have zero problem with other people continuing to ride in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    What happened now? Got a trip planned for 2nd week of Sept. Will have to change some ride plans now.
    Trails that are sanctioned still high quality. Will stick up a list in a week when i get back

Thanks Lee. I was going to send a message to your pager to add me to your fax list but it'll be easier to read it here.

We probably have too many rides on the list already aside from the closed stuff but never hurts to have more options.

Trip is Sept 7 or 8 to 16th if anyone is around and wants to ride. Roughly planning Lionhead, Centennials, Bridger Divide, Bitterroots. Possibly a ride in SLC area.

If you're looking for other options, I believe the 10 Lakes RWA up near Eureka is still technically open to bikes (although that may have changed recently - I haven't checked in on it in a little while). There's a bunch of good riding in the area.

Pic from a friend that I stole from Trailforks:

Rode a portion of the Continental Divide Trail in the Lionhead area with Shar, Kevin, Lynne, Dan and Lucky.

We went up Targhee Pass. While Shar and Kevin strava'ed Targhee Creek we continued on the alpine goodness finishing up at Mile Creek.

The CDT is a study in the schizophrenic contrasts and ludicrousness that is Federal Forest Service land policy.

While one federal FS district on the Idaho side built singletrack winding its way from treeline to alpine; another federal FS district on the Montana side places existing singletrack into the pariah-status of Wilderness Study Areas. Cross a state boundary and suddenly biking becomes impure; thrillcraft wreckreating in the sacrosanct hallowed Wilderness.

We rode our bikes. Had fun. Might even have made some whoops of joy. Sorry!!!

Candyland!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f4f3460534dc737332564b578d4b9b97.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	244030

Have only ridden down that ( Mile to Targhee Pass is the usual route), but riding down Mile sure is fun (Mile as an out an back is worthy). Helped Corey B. cut out Targhee Creek a couple of weekends ago (up Watkins and down Targhee Creek)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3748 (002).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	392.5 KB 
ID:	244031
    Looks like you are having a great time; wish our friend Tone was still here to ride with you....bittersweet.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Any of you have educated guesses of what this terracing is all about?
    Erosion control is my only guess.

^^^Eastern Centennials? My guess would be from old mining activity. Or some sheep that got experimented on.