Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Any of you have educated guesses of what this terracing is all about?
    Erosion control is my only guess.
    Not sure in Montana, but it was done as erosion control here in UT: https://geology.utah.gov/map-pub/sur...the-mountains/

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Not sure in Montana, but it was done as erosion control here in UT: https://geology.utah.gov/map-pub/sur...the-mountains/
    Same in this case. Built in 1962 according to an IDEQ watershed assessment I found online.

Sharon Kevin and I had the privilege of riding the Line Creek Plateau aka Beartooth Plateau today. Just S of Red Lodge Montana on the superb views of the Beartooth Highway we all agreed it was one of the preeminent alpine riding experiences we've all collectively had worldwide (and we've ridden lots). 27kms long the trail spends the bulk of its time between 3050m and 2850m on high alpine tundra when we would normally be navigating glaciers and icefields. The last 8km then descends the flanks of Mt Maurice via wonderfully benchcut singletrack with some impressive sharktoothed waterbars.

Sadly the wilderness movement is lobbying to have a chunk of Line Creek moved to Wilderness Study designation. Ride it while you can

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Same in this case. Built in 1962 according to an IDEQ watershed assessment I found online.
    My understanding was that it was erosion control in response to overgrazing by sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    ...27kms long the trail spends the bulk of its time between 3050m and 2850m...
    I'm not sure where you were riding, but I don't think we have kms and ms here in Montana. Only mis and ft.

I should edit this and state that I live and Montana and have done 0 of these rides, so aside from my good natured ribbing of the metric system, I'm really excited about trying to ride a few these in the future if they open up again. Thanks for the info Lee.

Seth
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 08-17-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Tucked away in the Big Snowy Mountain Range near Lewiston Montana the Ice Caves route rises 900m from valley to alpine and is 17km in length.

The route is known for permanent ice caves (picture from the Montana Mountain Bike Association) and views of the Big Snowies and the southerly Musselman range; views we didn't have due to forest fire smoke. Options are possible to extend the ride into the alpine by an out and back meander along Knifeblade Ridge

This ride is another Montana alpine classic facing closure as it has the double headed black mamba misfortune of being in a Wilderness Study Area and being proposed for Recommended Wilderness. Enjoy while you can !

Fuck yeah!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

You know how how you look at awesome places to explore on a bike and you think "Well it ain't going nowhere. Lots of time to get to it".

That isn't the case in Montana where insanely beautiful alpine rides will be prohibited for mountain bikes in short order.

This trip was about a ticklist of those trails. It meant the driving to biking ratio was more than I normally would want. But high quality alpine rides are rare beasts. It stands to reason that they're spread out.

Some general observations

- Even by Canadian standards Montana is big! Just getting to Hamilton/Bitterroots area is past BC almost at Canmore. West Yellowstone is all the way past Calgary towards Lethbridge. Red Lodge might as well be the end of the earth almost to Swift Current SK!

- Because it's further south alpine in this area isn't till 2500m+ (approx 300m higher than in southern Canada). This means that if you aren't acclimatized or used to lower oxygen levels you will suffer mightily.

- As with all alpine trails they are technical and require solid all-around up and down skills. Expect punchy tech jank. Beginners will be taking their bikes for a walk.

- People tend to aggregate in cities or towns. These alpine trails (or campgrounds close to them) don't see a lot of people. Frontcountry riders should be prepared to change their mindset and be totally self-contained and prepared to self-rescue. The latest enduro fannypack plus waterbottle will likely be insufficient

Because Montana is so big I wouldn't do a trip like this again in a hurry.

Instead I'd focus on a single region or close-together regions. The last time we were here we focused on Bozeman area rides riding with Tone (RIP).

The next time I'm inclined to check out more of the Hamilton/Darby Bitterroots area (although watch out for Sheriff Larry Rose grrr). Hit up the Lost Trail MTB fest as there's still a lot of good riding in the Bitterroot Valley especially around Hamilton, Lake Como, Warm Springs/Sula. There's also quite a bit of alpine riding in the area even with the Forest Service closures litigated by the Wilderness movement

Great stuff Lee

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

[QUOTE=LeeLau;5416064]

Fucking classic. You and David Letterman are now the two most famous people ticketed by that fuckknob. Can't believe Lance didn't warn you.

37 through Darby gets a ticket like 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    37 through Darby gets a ticket like 90% of the time.
    Its funny later

Ha! I got pulled over for speeding in Florence years ago, on my way to go climbing in Kootenai Canyon, and ended up with a ticket for possession of weed. Dude had us standing in the ditch, searching us, searching our climbing packs. Not Rose but some other cop who had it out for Missoula hippies going 10 mph over the limit through his town. Guy was an asshole, like screaming at the top of his lungs at us.

Anyway...great trip log Lee. Maybe you should contact the Missoulian and see if they would be interested in an article about these trails and the access issues. Since most of the newspapers in Montana are owned by Lee Enterprises and they share content, the story would likely appear in many papers around the state. Just an idea...it would be a great way to draw some public attention to the issue. I'd be happy to get on the horn and talk to an editor over there if you want me to gauge interest. Pretty sure they would go for it.

Every trail should have ice caves, around the halfway point would work. Some nice looking miles/kms there Lee

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Ha! I got pulled over for speeding in Florence years ago, on my way to go climbing in Kootenai Canyon, and ended up with a ticket for possession of weed. Dude had us standing in the ditch, searching us, searching our climbing packs. Not Rose but some other cop who had it out for Missoula hippies going 10 mph over the limit through his town. Guy was an asshole, like screaming at the top of his lungs at us.

Anyway...great trip log Lee. Maybe you should contact the Missoulian and see if they would be interested in an article about these trails and the access issues. Since most of the newspapers in Montana are owned by Lee Enterprises and they share content, the story would likely appear in many papers around the state. Just an idea...it would be a great way to draw some public attention to the issue. I'd be happy to get on the horn and talk to an editor over there if you want me to gauge interest. Pretty sure they would go for it.
    Yeahman I'm going to write it as multiparter article for singletracks.com. Many have written about the politics but I really wanted to show the trails ie what would be lost.

But it can't hurt to have it also for a local paper.