Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    WTF
    Yeah...

I assume it's pretty easy to hitch a ride in a pickup bed up the pass with a bike? Other trails nearby worth riding if I make the drive down there?
    You would think it would be easy. But 406 stood there with his thumb out for well over an hour as everyone drove past. It was to the point we were calling local taxi services to see what the cost would be. Only one we could get a hold of wanted $260 or something insane. My advice would be to stash your bike at the top out of sight and do the hitch first, early in the day, or try to link up with other riders so you'll have a second vehicle. There's nothing but Yellowstone once you get over the pass and it seemed to be a lot of families and vacationers by mid afternoon, not the typical local crowd who will pick up a hitchhiker. Less traffic by then and not everyone has room for the bike.

I concur, I could see not getting a ride all day.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Not sure if anyone here is familiar with the shit show that is Ridge to Rivers in Boise, but somebody there is gently calling them on their bullshit: https://www.instagram.com/ridge_to_ruins/
    thank you

Also........hitchiking during a pandemic at the entrance to the biggest national park shit show in the country.........good luck with that
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah IDK, single person riding in the back of a pickup. I wouldn't expect anyone to stop unless it was a pickup truck since I would have a bike.

I would not want to ride in the cab of a car or SUV.

Ultimate sufferfest be to ride up the switchies?......That would be like a 30 something mile ride round trip with hefty vert.

You could spend some $ here: https://redlodgebicycles.com/ and see if you can find a like-minded shuttler...

When we rode the plateau I did Ingles Creek (fun downhill) and Silver Run (family-friendly ride...) on the day prior.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/silver-run-loop-102/
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/ingles-creek-35/

I was hoping to check out Bear Track downhill but (similarly) I couldn't figure out a shuttle and didn't want to ride it as an out-n-back, but elevation profile looks worthy...

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/bear-track-8/

I've been wanting to ride that for years.

And I do have a flatbed and will be taking a big roadtrip in august..............

I'm a problem solver.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    You would think it would be easy. But 406 stood there with his thumb out for well over an hour as everyone drove past. It was to the point we were calling local taxi services to see what the cost would be. Only one we could get a hold of wanted $260 or something insane. My advice would be to stash your bike at the top out of sight and do the hitch first, early in the day, or try to link up with other riders so you'll have a second vehicle. There's nothing but Yellowstone once you get over the pass and it seemed to be a lot of families and vacationers by mid afternoon, not the typical local crowd who will pick up a hitchhiker. Less traffic by then and not everyone has room for the bike.
    How safely can a bike be stashed up there? Tentative plan possibly sometime next week: Stash MTB at Line Creek TH > depart camp from Rock Creek on gravel bike early in the AM > pedal up the pass to Line Creek TH > Swap out bikes > MTB Line Creek > Pedal MTB all the way back to the truck on Rock Creek > Drive back up and get gravel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I've been wanting to ride that for years.

And I do have a flatbed and will be taking a big roadtrip in august..............

I'm a problem solver.

OR ride on Kidwoo's truck.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post

Also........hitchiking during a pandemic at the entrance to the biggest national park shit show in the country.........good luck with that
    you mean this kind of shitshow?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1389.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	335349
    what pandemic?
    skid luxury

^^^^that sounds like an ambitious plan, I'm not one for riding on highways so I probably pick an all mountain bike ride if I was wanting to spend that much energy.

I don't recall many spots near the trailhead for hiding a bike, here is a photo of the trailhead:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/S2k7sa5CyMVt5y8v7

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    ^^^^that sounds like an ambitious plan, I'm not one for riding on highways so I probably pick an all mountain bike ride if I was wanting to spend that much energy.

I don't recall many spots near the trailhead for hiding a bike, here is a photo of the trailhead:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/S2k7sa5CyMVt5y8v7
    Figured it was desolate up there as far as hiding places.

How shitty of a HAB would it be to do Line Creek as an out and back from the bottom?

Figured it was desolate up there as far as hiding places.

How shitty of a HAB would it be to do Line Creek as an out and back from the bottom?
    We usually just pedal up Line Cr (fantastic climb imo), and spend some time on the plateau and dh down Corral Cr which is a fun dh with less switch backs. Back to line Cr trailhead on east side road. No shuttle. I have never had a desire to do the top portion or the shuttle after this loop, but enjoy it enough we usually do it once a season.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I agree that hick's plan is a good one. You could always out and back across the plateau as far as you feel like, but you might get enough just between Line Creek and Corral Creek. Riding on top of the Plateau is cool for the position and views, but the actual trail isn't great for a good chunk of it.

I was way more impressed with the plateau riding above timberline than a lot of Line Creek, seemed like there were ~50 fast straightaways into tight switchbacks on the way down. Don’t get me wrong, I would ride it again anytime, buuut...

Yeah the switchbacks were definitely flow killers. I can see it being a good climb.

Up top there isn't much cover but you might be able to stash it out of sight behind a rise or in the little gully there. I think most hikers would be headed into the Wilderness area but we did see a group of hunters poking around in the area. Personally I wouldn't want to leave a bike unattended long enough to ride up the highway let alone swap it out and do the MTB ride. I do this often for an hour or so but usually when I can stash it behind tree cover.

The loop option up Line creek sounds like it might be a better plan.

Holy crap b-bear......that pic. God bless the beauty and solitude of the outdoors.

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Probably a dumb question, but just so I don't misunderstand, what are 'system trails?'

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but just so I don't misunderstand, what are 'system trails?'
    Officially inventoried and recognized trails.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Officially inventoried and recognized trails.
    Copy that, thanks.

That's a great article, well researched history. Don't recall seeing it before.

So, I got this invite to comment as an ‘interested person’ with this Custer gallatin planning document. Can anyone interpret this for me?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd806408.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I got this invite to comment as an ‘interested person’ with this Custer gallatin planning document. Can anyone interpret this for me?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd806408.pdf
    Grown ass man goes to book store to buy cliffs notes. Come on man, just read it.

After that if you have a specific question come back and ask it.

It’s pretty vague...

Not sure what I would be commenting on.

The document was just this one page.

Is this relevant?

Compliance with the travel management rule at 36 CFR 212.

Here are the details. Click around.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/land/custerg...landmanagement

Were you an objector or commenter in this process? If not, you don't really have 'standing'.

Most USFS plans go through scoping, DEIS, FEIS and then objection, sometimes in whole, sometimes in parts. That summary you linked is a an objection summary.

Really though it's the same shit as always. The representatives of the donor class (including so called backcountry ski groups) threaten the USFS with a lawsuit, want to close shit to sleds and dirtbikes via prewilderness designations, and mountainbikers get fucked in the process.