Transition Sentinel Rear Shock. Need help from smart people.

I am upgrading the rear shock on my sentinel. My plan has been to buy the Performance Elite, because that’s the fork I put on it, and it’s what TR puts on the higher end builds.

I can’t find any shock besides the Fox DPX2 that has the very specific stroke length of 57.5 in a 205. But even these are super hard to find!

In very specific layman terms, what offsets and other modifications do I need to make in order to make another shock work, like an X2 in a 205x60?

I’ve seen in done. I know there is a way. Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You may want to look at a dvo topaz. Ease to tune and I think they’ll even instruct you how to change the stroke if necessary (not sure if their offering is as exactly the same stroke as yours). Ez to phone those guys. Better price, ez to tune on the bike and possibly a bit of an improvement over the big guys.

Have you talked to transition? The 205 x 60 might just work without modification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Have you talked to transition? The 205 x 60 might just work without modification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yeaaaah sort of. But maybe I’ll ask again...

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    You may want to look at a dvo topaz. Ease to tune and I think they’ll even instruct you how to change the stroke if necessary (not sure if their offering is as exactly the same stroke as yours). Ez to phone those guys. Better price, ez to tune on the bike and possibly a bit of an improvement over the big guys.
    I had a DVO Jade a few years ago on a Norco. Loved it! Great products!

As silly as it sounds I’m building this one up to be all matchy and purdy, so I’d like to stick with the Fox products, since I already put the 36 Performance Elite up front...I know, not the greatest reason to choose components but...🤷

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I had a DVO Jade a few years ago on a Norco. Loved it! Great products!

As silly as it sounds I’m building this one up to be all matchy and purdy, so I’d like to stick with the Fox products, since I already put the 36 Performance Elite up front...I know, not the greatest reason to choose components but...🤷

I’m wit ya. May find deals on this years fox too. I think they’ve got something new in the pipe for next year. I forget the acronym or what it does. Something we have to have no doubt......

What build did you get to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    What build did you get to start with?

Base build. Upgraded the fork, brakes, headset, stem, bars, seat, wheels. Fox, ANVL, and SRAM. The RF cranks and dropper are holding their own. 170mm dropper would be nice. Prob a different drivetrain in the spring.

Just need a shock!

I just bought the base model NX. Did the fox 36 make a huge difference for you? Did you get the HSC/LSC 36?

Brakes are definitely the first to go.

Have you called Fox? the stroke just needs to be reduced via a spacer.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yeah, supposedly they get the 57.5 by using a spacer.

Rather than call Fox, I would call a good suspension shop (Dirtlabs or similar) and see if they can set you up.
    Doesn't the X2 only come as Factory, no Performance Elite? DPX2 Performance Elite would not be a bad setup unless you really want to go full tinker.

There used to be X2 performance elites. I havent seen any for 2019.

I just bought the base model NX. Did the fox 36 make a huge difference for you? Did you get the HSC/LSC 36?

Brakes are definitely the first to go.

Yeah the brakes should go. The 36 is a profound difference. The Yari isn’t a terrible shock but there is hardly a comparison between the two.

Yep H/LSC Fit

DPX2 Perf Elite would be ideal. Performance and ease. Bolt it on and forget it. They are hard to find! I’ll give Fox a call tomorrow, or get someone on the phone to ask about spacers.

I keep seeing the 44mm offset 36s on sale for $600. Thats a great deal, but I tried the new 2019 Lyrik and it blew me away. A $400 dollar difference is tempting for the 2018 36. Its still leagues better than the yari.

Yari is fine when I’m fresh. After riding all day, I notice the yari handles high speed chunder much worse. It makes you even more tired at that point. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the delux and giddy up, but the yari cannot keepup.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 08-11-2018 at 08:19 PM.

but I tried the new 2019 Lyrik and it blew me away. A $400 dollar difference is tempting for the 2018 36. Its still leagues better than the yari.

Yari is fine when I’m fresh. After riding all day, I notice the yari handles high speed chunder much worse. It makes you even more tired at that point. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the delux and giddy up, but the yari cannot keepup.
    You already have a good fork chasis why not just get the new 2019 Charger cartridge for your Yari?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I keep seeing the 44mm offset 36s on sale for $600. Thats a great deal, but I tried the new 2019 Lyrik and it blew me away. A $400 dollar difference is tempting for the 2018 36. Its still leagues better than the yari.

I think you're talking the standard 51mm offset. The 44s are still really hard to find and full pop everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    You already have a good fork chasis why not just get the new 2019 Charger cartridge for your Yari?
    Love me some Fox 36, rocking a 2019 44mm GRIP2 now, BUT I had a 2017 Lyric and it was also awesome. They're even better now. I second the charger damper in the Yari. Cheapest way to get a premium fork on that thing, and also maintain the intended geometry up front.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Could also drop an Avy cart in the Yari. If your upgrade budget is limited, I wouldn’t blow it all on a new fork for no good reason.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I think you're talking the standard 51mm offset. The 44s are still really hard to find and full pop everywhere.

Love me some Fox 36, rocking a 2019 44mm GRIP2 now, BUT I had a 2017 Lyric and it was also awesome. They're even better now. I second the charger damper in the Yari. Cheapest way to get a premium fork on that thing, and also maintain the intended geometry up front.
    Damnit! I saw a 44mm offset 160mm performance elite from 2018 on sale for $649 or something like that, super rare, and now it’s gone. It’s gone! No! I think it was either at Jenson or Worldwide Cyclery. If I were to pay $1000 for 2019, I’d go with the new Lyrik. Not gonna do that though.

Adding a new damper to my Yari makes the most sense, and the Yari chassis is stiff enough. That red lyrik must be faster though, you know since its red.

The only time I have a problem with yari is after a day at the park on my 2017 36 equipped voltage, then switching to the yari later in the day pedaling/tired, then hitting fast rock sections. Otherwise yari is fine.

Even though the Sentinel is probably the best bike I have ever owned, I will probably just upgrade it slowly. I plan on keeping it a while anyways, which I rarely do with anything. Its that good. Praxis Rx on wheels.

Found a DPX2 Performance Elite! Problem solved. So stoked. Fanatik FTW

Yah I was also able to find a Fox 36 Performance Elite with 44mm offset but Im not going to tell you what I paid for it.

Next up, wheels!

Fanatik custom wheel build!

Lyrik and Yari have the same chassis, different guts. You can turn a Yari into a full spec Lyrik.

I’m confused about buying a base model and upgrading it. Why didn’t you all just buy the GX or XO1?

I didnt have the extra $1K up front for GX, but wanted to get out and get riding ASAP. I wont be upgrading anything until this fall. I paid $2400 for my NX new.

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    I am upgrading the rear shock on my sentinel. My plan has been to buy the Performance Elite, because that’s the fork I put on it, and it’s what TR puts on the higher end builds.

I can’t find any shock besides the Fox DPX2 that has the very specific stroke length of 57.5 in a 205. But even these are super hard to find!

In very specific layman terms, what offsets and other modifications do I need to make in order to make another shock work, like an X2 in a 205x60?

I’ve seen in done. I know there is a way. Please help.

I was going tell you to measure the frame and see if there's a interference point that prevents you from using the 60mm stroke shock, but I'm seeing a video in the Pinkbike review that shows the swingarm nearly touching the seat tube at full compression in the stock configuration. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check for yourself.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/transi...view-2017.html

Otherwise, most air shocks aren't too hard to disassemble so you could probably fit a spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    I was going tell you to measure the frame and see if there's a interference point that prevents you from using the 60mm stroke shock, but I'm seeing a video in the Pinkbike review that shows the swingarm nearly touching the seat tube at full compression in the stock configuration. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check for yourself.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/transi...view-2017.html

Otherwise, most air shocks aren't too hard to disassemble so you could probably fit a spacer.
    I was told the 60mm will fit with a 2.5mm internal spacer. But I found a 57.5 so problem solved.

^thats good to know though! I haven’t seen the video.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Lyrik and Yari have the same chassis, different guts. You can turn a Yari into a full spec Lyrik.

I’m confused about buying a base model and upgrading it. Why didn’t you all just buy the GX or XO1?
    I didnt have the cash this spring. I broke even selling my 2017 Patrol to get the NX Sentinel. Just wanted a bike with SBG. I’m not spending more than the XO would have cost until/if I do the drive train, that will put me over.

But I upgraded to all ANVL components, through the TR website. Cane Creek Headset, kept the RF dropper, Code brakes, Fox Fork and Shock.

The only take off parts I’ve trashed and won’t be able to sell on PB is the wheels :/