Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I somehow missed that you were actually moving there until this thread
    way to get after it (as always)
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    PS- non-Metric = Freedom Units
    I have to make a few graphs for a website right now that have a dropdown option for the users to choose metric or freedom. Very tempted to actually call it freedom units but afraid the powers that be would not be amused. When I moved into my flat, the landlords were on holiday and I had to figure shit out myself. I failed to recognize the very obvious thermostat and slept in my huge winter sleeping bag for a week because, mysteriously, it was kind of cold in the flat. The thermostat is above a dehumidifier and has a unit-less scale that goes from 50 to 80. It did not occur to me that this might be anything other than another humidity-related device.

I found this video very helpful for understanding freedom units and recommend it to everyone, even those who think they already have freedom units figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    looks like you are getting around hopefully you are enjoying your time here. stick around and you could go dip netting. props for sleeping in the car in winter.
    I try and I am (at least the time not spent in my not-so-awesome office). Any suggestions for things to see and do are most welcome. What's cordova like?

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    btw: are you still working for powderguide.com from there?
    Yes, I may have to scale my involvement down a little depending on how it goes with my new "real" job but the plan is business as usual for the coming season.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    You maybe have a secret treasure-trove of unseen Euro-land photos?
    It was a really good season till I left. I was busy trying to figure out my life and getting as much skiing in as I could and neglected tgr somewhat in the process. Here are a few personal highlights.

First storms of the season, skinning in still closed resorts:

Gentle terrain getting skiable bit by bit (picture of me, freak's shot):

Back in home turf after two and a half seasons of staying away because of a super shit snow pack.

Early season light

Overexposed ~Art~

Still sticking to flat pow and mostly meadows

Not an easy place to leave.

This was strange. We were worried it might be a sign that things were about to get terrifying again snow wise but this issue remained pretty isolated in time and place for some reason. (someone other than us kicked that down skiing under the chairlift, we just used it to pose for instagram likes)

Another favourite spot that hadn't been all that skiable for a while

Home of Our Lady of the Sideways Eyeroll

My O-face!

Dude skinning under chairlift, who needs drones anyway?

Old besties began crawling out of the woodwork

they have had a lot of time to practice but still make less than perfect powder 8s.

We had a few cycles of wildly swinging temps with warm storms followed by a few calm days followed by another just cold enough or just a little too warm snow/rain event.

Warm and wet end of year stroll:

More friends in high places

who is the best skier on tgr? klar. wow. nice work!

Upwards and onwards

A few clear, cold days produced a lot of magic and sparkle

I practiced taking gopro selfies on solo outings because changing life circumstances brought shifts in tried and tested ski buddy arrangements

The old ski buddies didn't go away, they were just less readily available. I found some new ones and wondered where they had been all my life, this one in particular. Huge girl-crush.

It started snowing for real.

I had fun.

Lots of glide activity.

More good weather & good friends

Rare company most welcome

Stairmaster!

Dream cabin

Floating home

Tracks

Girl-crush

Put your hands in the snow so it looks steeper!

Some get lucky

Even more old friends reappearing

Shredding w the ladies

And finally, the long, drawn out good bye really did come to an end.

Whoa, look at that - more cool shit, lots more, really cool.

I have to that it’s kind of nice that you saved that for summer. Maybe it wasn’t intentional that way, but

Alaskan adventures, bears and euro pow shots. This is good stuff klar!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Yep, NEATO!

woah, stoke overload....

Excellent summer reading and viewing, thanks.

[QUOTE][I try and I am (at least the time not spent in my not-so-awesome office). Any suggestions for things to see and do are most welcome. What's cordova like?QUOTE]
    Cordova is kind of a pain to get to now with the ferry schedule. It is one of the most spectacular towns anywhere on a nice day. Unfortunately we do not get many. It is silver salmon season now so if one of your things is catching big fish it is on. You read Coming in to the Country. Have you made it out to Miller House and Harrison Ck yet, Circle Hot Springst? Mount Prindle or the Granite Tors. Kanuti hot springs looks fun have not done it bugs should be down soon. I can recommend a good 6 day loop off the haul road. Car to car so inexpensive. Nice Europe shots glad you caught some of the season.
    off your knees Louie

klar, this is coming up on a good time for road trips. The Denali highway is a cool weekend trip. Or take the train to Denali Park and backpack/camp out by Wonder Lake for a stunning fall view of the mountain and fall colors on the tundra. Been to Manley Hot Springs yet? I guess Circle Hot Springs is closed now, but that used to be a cool road trip. Homer is pretty cool.

Also, silver salmon sport fishing is fun as shit.

Klar, making TGR great again! Fabulous shots man. I needed the summer stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Fabulous shots man.
    for the record, not a man

Always an automatic click when klar posts and always entertaining. Thanx for sharing+++

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Great reporting on AK and Europe season. You take and narrate some cool shots. Good luck in your new venture.

Great TR, well written, entertaining and great photos. Great to have you here in the states, and look forward to lost of AK reports. I, as I am sure many of us, will miss your euro based TRs, but it appears you got a wealth of reports stashed away, so keep them coming as well.

Well to America. Let us know if you visit the lower 48.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Solid update with the Euro shots...
    A great way to start a Friday.

Nice work as usual Klar! Thanks for posting and keeping the bar high (perhaps a leetle to high for the likes of yours truly.. one can aspire though).
    Cheers!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Americans tend to be a lot more into small talk than folks at home, which is kind of nice but also kind of worrying when you are buying some bread at Fred Meyer and the cashier gets into the details of her divorce proceedings. Sometimes things start out in 'nice weather today' territory and rapidly morph into increasingly strange, strangely intimate 3 minute conversations with strangers. The Skiland chairlift takes quite a bit longer than 3 minutes, hence the singles line and the resulting lift rides can get pretty interesting.

On a lift ride back in spring with Jimbob we were talking about his kids, who are in college somewhere, and he mentioned that he was glad that he taught them to ski because "now they'll always have something to fall back on that they can do if they want to get outside". Without thinking about it and mostly to fill the silence at the end of the sentence, I replied: "Yeah, it's never failed to cheer me up."

Then it was time to concentrate on not getting hanged by the chairlift while trying to get off and also not crashing into the person who did a double eject on the exit ramp two chairs ahead. After that little lift-exit adrenaline rush was over, it started to sink in how true what I'd said to Jimbob actually was.

------

Come June, I overcame my fear of being eaten enough to go look for some late season turns. I tried talking some of my new acquaintances from work into joining me but all the bearded dudes who like to talk a big game about their rad ski adventures when you run into them at the office coffee machine were stressing out about getting a garden planted and also an overnight trip was out of the question because their sourdough gets upset if they don't read it a bed time story.

I managed to find the right turnoff for a gravel road that goes nowhere and is popular with people who ride ATV's further up into nowhere than cars can go. I have no idea where my car can and cannot go and after successfully crossing some remaining snow patches on the road, I high centered it and got stuck. After an hour or so of shoveling, the tires were back on solid ground. I retreated a little, found somewhere to park and began worrying if bears would be attracted by my toothpaste. Except for a couple of sleepy-angry "I am going to spray myself and everything else in the car with DEET until I can't breath and all mosquitos are dead"-episodes, the night was uneventful.

In the morning I worked my way up to the snow line proper, skis strapped to bike, mostly pushing the bike. Left bike behind after 40 minutes or so and headed into the first big cirque above the road, connecting patches at first but soon skinning on nice, smooth, firmly frozen snow. The work dudes justified their urgent gardening by telling me the snow wouldn't freeze because it doesn't get dark anymore in June, but I think they actually just didn't want to drive 3 hours and drag their skis up a dry approach.

Anyway.

I had a pleasant walk in a nice place in really nice weather. I didn't feel like pushing things anywhere at all alone on an unfamiliar glacier, or maybe I actually just wanted a nice nap in the sun. Either way, a nice nap in the sun is what I got. I also got tiny teeth marks in the seat of my bike (??), crossed paths with two professional looking trail runners with XC skis strapped to their ultralight running packs heading up the ATV track while I was heading down (????), and was, once again, entirely cheered up by the whole thing.

One of the better pullout views on the Richardson, I think these are Hess and Deborah.

Nap spot

more go pro selfies

Flat fun.

Spring is here

cool looking scenery further up the valley

time to pack up again

June ended with a crazy interlude of traveling. I helped out as a gear ferry/fairy for a Girls on Ice camp and went from a grey day crossing cold glacier runoff streams to a flight to sticky Midwest nights (so dark!) for a conference in Nebraska City. Attendees from California tried to order avocado toast for breakfast but apparently avocado toast is not a thing in Nebraska City. After that I went directly on to another conference in Chamonix, which was nice because I got to go for long evening walks up the hill and watch Mt Blanc & Co change colour. I picked up 6 kilos of valais cheese for one of my swiss expat office coffee machine friends from his mom, then drove across the Alps to say hi to my parents, and then flew back half way around the world with a bunch of cheese.

Nebraska City scenery

Cham scenery

Vallée Blanche not looking all that blanche.

"Conference"

Upon my return to Fairbanks, gardens had been planted and people were in summer hiking mode, so I joined in. Beginning of July weekend walk somewhere just south of the Denali Highway with bearded swiss guy 1 and 2:

Bearded swiss guy 1 has adapted well to AK life and takes a gun when he goes hiking, and also wears this hat.

Looking north and east towards the Deltas

nice and green

Switzerland has never been invaded because there are two guys on every mountain pass, keeping vigilant watch in both directions at all times. This is what that looks like.

During his service in the Swiss navy, swiss guy 2 accidentally invaded Germany but it was okay because it was foggy and Germany did not notice. Then the navy ran out of butter but his mom has a sailboat and was able aid in the critical resupply of the troops. They did not have to resort to cannibalism and were able to complete their difficult nautical maneuver in the rough seas off the coast of Montreux. Here he is making fondue.

Dawn and dusk and midnight looking much the same.

Indiana Jones on the way back out

Cute thingy

snow!!

Does this count as skiing?

Cute thingies 2

"Do you think percolation theory can be applied to caribou making trails through the alder?" was a question not only asked, but considered with some seriousness, which says a lot about the nature of this group (average and median sample size over time = 3).

swiss guy 2 kindly gave me his bug shirt. I rather like this look.
    Last edited by klar; 08-23-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Post #45 may be my favorite post here in a long time. (Avocado toast goes as far east as Denver, but then it peters out until....Austin???) And the contrast of scenics of Nebraska and Cham, not seen often together....so f'kin funny. Nice work as always.

Reading this really makes me need to get outside, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.