Page 20 of 121 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Sale has my mouth watering. PSA order today and get some free poles!

I probably can't pull the trigger and daydreaming here but I have some BCs as my only inbounds "mid-fat" for CO really like them. Wondering what is a little narrower, can bust a little crud and handle the variable-to-firm-but-not-totally-frozen tracked out trees and bumps around here better than those (which do pretty good with it). 9D? 9D8? SND in a softer flex? Not sure Ii like Piste Jib for such application but that model seems to have come up too.

Thanks!
    Yeti is a narrow bc with a couple key tweaks. I haven't skied the bc but my custom yeti smashes all the things. super fun everywhere I hoped it would be.

I've overloaded with skis, but what the hell right?
    I pulled the trigger on the new The Ski, 4 flex, heavy hitter w/carbon (wanted dampness less a few oz) and no veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    Need is the wrong operative word Thom
    Don't get me wrong the GPO is awesome for its size as a groomer zoomer, but the PJ is a different story, I think you'd like em.
    Agreed. I keep ignoring that part of the quiver. All last Spring, the PJ had my attention.

Right now, it's a budget thing. I've been deferring purchase of an air bag pack, radios and such for too long, because of ski GAS

I have to sharpen my accounting pencil to see what shakes out.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    (and am planning to sell the Exps this or next year).
    So, what length are your EXPs?

cheers,
    john

Tempted by Kopi's PJ in this thread:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ale-Click-Here

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Every time I think I need narrower skis for riding lifts, I hop on my GPOs and forget about it, but maybe that's just me

I know you're looking to go in the other (width) direction (and I don't know your home ski region), but anywho ...

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to keep only one pair of skis from my quiver, I'd struggle between my GPOs an my Down CD 114s. Either one would keep me happy for a long time.

The tail is nice enough to survive frozen bumps and they pivot on a dime. Quick in trees and great in slush bumps (it's nearing that time of year again).

Railing on groomers? To the extent that a 116 ski can do so, they're ok, but as Iggy said, groomers are a means of getting to untracked snow.

They're not quite the powder and crud ski that a Billy Goat is, but they're much, much more versatile.

... Thom
    Need is the wrong operative word Thom
    Don't get me wrong the GPO is awesome for its size as a groomer zoomer, but the PJ is a different story, I think you'd like em.

Jong Lafitte; i have no experience on the BC or any of the more on piste oriented skis like the SnD 9D etc. Can't say if the PJ would do the things you are looking for better than the BC. But it does do those things really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    The past two years, I've been on a few un-TGR skis -- the 9D, SND, 9D8, and Exp. For sunny days where there is spring slush and areas that aren't quite slushy enough, the SND was fantastic. So fast edge to edge and stable at speed in those conditions.

We had an odd winter here, and the 9D8 got the most use in my quiver. Love that ski. It handled everything quite well, even when it was deeper than anticipated. I took the 9Ds on a trip east where it snowed 5 inches on the first night while blowing 60 knots. Only wind and sun for the next several days. The 9Ds were great in bumps and easy to turn in the windpacked powder. Finally, I've about 7 or 8 days touring in the Exps this winter and spring and that ski has a nice shape -- when it was wet sticky, I preferred those the most, even in the deep cement; they seemed to be the least susceptible to getting hung up when it was super grabby out and they're the the most maneuverable ski I have. For a skinny plank, though, I think I prefer my SNDs a bit more (and am planning to sell the Exps this or next year).
    Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Yeti is a narrow bc with a couple key tweaks. I haven't skied the bc but my custom yeti smashes all the things. super fun everywhere I hoped it would be.
    thanks for all the info all! Lots to consider. Reality crashing down taht I don't need a new pair of skis, especially not a new new pair. Loving the EXP though. If its for inbounds, do you do the enduro or the HH core, leave it as UL?
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

PJs rool

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I've overloaded with skis, but what the hell right?
    I pulled the trigger on the new The Ski, 4 flex, heavy hitter w/carbon (wanted dampness less a few oz) and no veneer.
    Gotta check out the new Ski in person at Squaw over the weekend and it’s a pretty sweet shape. Very smooth transitions in tip, tail, and rocker lines and nice side cut. Looks solid and uncomplicated like the RX but def more playful and snappy.

Not it sure what your use case is but it looks like a wicked ski for a lot of different terrain. The 110 waist looks spot on too for an all mountain tool. If they had added a 179cm like in the RX I’d be all over it.

Should be a good buy

Definitely should have shown some restraint but, pulled the trigger on EXP +10mm, heavy core + carbon, wood veneer to replace Rustler 10 for all mountain resort pounder and a Concept -10mm, UL core, wood veneer to replace BC's. Needless to say I'm excited and poor 😃

Quote Originally Posted by kix515 View Post
    Definitely should have shown some restraint but, pulled the trigger on EXP +10mm, heavy core + carbon, wood veneer to replace Rustler 10 for all mountain resort pounder and a Concept -10mm, UL core, wood veneer to replace BC's. Needless to say I'm excited and poor
    I'm betting theyll ne super fun(exp plus 10). Sold my exp's to Thom and we've both found them ridiculously stable for a light skinny ski. Was kind of tossing around the idea of a plus 10 set to justify using them more. Might be a ways off but hopefully hear how they're skiing for you

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'm betting theyll ne super fun(exp plus 10). Sold my exp's to Thom and we've both found them ridiculously stable for a light skinny ski. Was kind of tossing around the idea of a plus 10 set to justify using them more. Might be a ways off but hopefully hear how they're skiing for you

So I lucked out with a 6-8” powder day two weeks ago, and headed off to A-Basin with the EXPs and my Vipec mounted GPOs. The temptation to ski the GPOs all day was too great. About 4 hours in, the powder was cooked and so was I. I was ready to call it quits, went to the car and couldn’t resist (even though thoroughly trashed), so I pulled out the EXPs.

I stayed away from steep chop, but still worked my way into lots of sloppy seconds. It’s hard going into that stuff when you’re tired and have been acclimated to the GPOs.

So … I really like Keith’s design decisions. They’re a very balanced ski, with the long effective edge, soft-ish flex (@grinch told me these custom 173s have a #3 flex), and relatively short turn radius. You can really bend them into a tight radius. I forgot what carving tight-ish turns and driving the front of the ski felt like.

The choppy/slop? Well, I was trashed, but managed to work through it. I didn’t dive into and linger in the fall line the way I would with my GPOs or CD114s, and I missed that, but no ski does everything.

Last week, I went for a side-country tour, but not wanting to screw up (and piss off my buddy), I took my CD104s out. Conditions were about 3" of hot pow over a bit of scratchy stuff.

We came back inbounds later on and did some ski testing. I got two more runs on the EXPs in mashed potatoes.

The short story is that I can't imagine any skis this light (1400g) being more stable than these EXPs. In the slop, the tips want to deflect (doh!) but they also self-center quickly after the fact (does that make sense?). I found that by driving forward, they take commands well and the tips are much more stable through the slop.

I'm with @grinch, and the only question becomes how many late season, long missions do I go on where I end up taking them. Which sacrifice on a given day would I regret most (or least) - weight advantage with less "drive", or better downhill with more effort on the up? As Doug Coombs said in the Q&P tune (with respect to wax) - it's going to be right somewhere on the mountain ;-)

If you like your GPOs at -1 to -1.75, mount these on the line. @grinch also started off with them at -1 and then moved them forward to on the line.

Damn! They're light on your feet.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 06-05-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Galibier Design

Yes, good point Thom

Concept -10mm, UL core, wood veneer to replace BC's. Needless to say I'm excited and poor 😃
    Siiiiiick. I've been ho humming between a - 10 concept and and an MVP. This is the first mention I've seen of one being made.

Excited to hear about that ski when you get it on snow. I neglected my concepts this past season for my Qs but plan to get back on them a lot this year. Love that ski.

Siiiiiick. I've been ho humming between a - 10 concept and and an MVP. This is the first mention I've seen of one being made.

Excited to hear about that ski when you get it on snow. I neglected my concepts this past season for my Qs but plan to get back on them a lot this year. Love that ski.
    X2 all the way around. Q’s were such a great ride for the all softness around here this winter. Then I spent quite a few days on my MVP’s when it wasn’t so soft. Long story short, I like my Concepts a lot more than my MVP’s. I don’t dislike the MVP’s at all, they’re a great all around ski with a much more traditional feel, but I just prefer my Concept’s pretty much everywhere, they’re just so damn fun. I definitely won’t be neglecting them again.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

If anyone is interested in selling a 187 MVP, let me know.

Also have a pair of 188 Skinny Qs, 4 flex heavy core that I will be putting up in GS at some point in the next few months

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Looking forward to them. Already have an EXP 4flex, UL core mounted with Dynafits and have been super happy with them. Strangely they are not that light, one of the builders said that the weight savings are much less on the narrower skis as the hardwoods make up most of the ski still. Either way they have been fantastic in a variety of conditions from Australian groomers to Sierra summer snow. Hopefully they hold up, or more I hold up as a resort basher.

@shushu & @eskido I've loved the concept and reach for it regularly. Only 2nd guessing is how much the feel changes from glass/hardwoods layup vs UL carbon. Was also dreaming about the nice grip in icy skintracks and scoured areas. Hopefully still skis all the junk snow almost as forgiving as the BC with a bit more charginess vs playfulness. Hopefully not too much bite given how it rails for such a large ski in its standard form.

Held off on enduro carbon Qs to be mounted with shifts as a travel/slackcountry ski. I showed some restraint...

@shushu & @eskido I've loved the concept and reach for it regularly. Only 2nd guessing is how much the feel changes from glass/hardwoods layup vs UL carbon. Was also dreaming about the nice grip in icy skintracks and scoured areas. Hopefully still skis all the junk snow almost as forgiving as the BC with a bit more charginess vs playfulness. Hopefully not too much bite given how it rails for such a large ski in its standard form.

Held off on enduro carbon Qs to be mounted with shifts as a travel/slackcountry ski. I showed some restraint...
    No experience with the UL layup, although the Veneer will definitely add a bit of "chill" to that construction. That being said given what seems like a mostly touring application sounds like it will work great for you. My GPOs are MAP carbon with Nylon top and they are outstanding in untracked. I think an UL with Veneer might not feel to far off from that.

Can't wait to hear how the concept skis scaled down to the midfat waist. I bet it will be insanely quick. My regular Concepts are full on tree skiing ninja sticks.

Re: the Qs...there's always next year

Just got an email that the 10 year olds custom GPO’s are ready to ship!

I rip the groomed on tele gear

No experience with the UL layup, although the Veneer will definitely add a bit of "chill" to that construction. That being said given what seems like a mostly touring application sounds like it will work great for you. My GPOs are MAP carbon with Nylon top and they are outstanding in untracked. I think an UL with Veneer might not feel to far off from that.

Can't wait to hear how the concept skis scaled down to the midfat waist. I bet it will be insanely quick. My regular Concepts are full on tree skiing ninja sticks.

Re: the Qs...there's always next year
    I have gpo's in MAP and UL with veneer - the UL's are def poppier and lose less in damping than I thought they would. It makes me think that concept's in a carbon layup would be a very interesting touring ski - kinda like a deathwish tour with the added damping that added width brings, and surfier (in my experience on the MAP version of the concept)

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I have gpo's in MAP and UL with veneer - the UL's are def poppier and lose less in damping than I thought they would. It makes me think that concept's in a carbon layup would be a very interesting touring ski - kinda like a deathwish tour with the added damping that added width brings, and surfier (in my experience on the MAP version of the concept)
    Am I reading you correctly - that UL/Veneer is almost as damp as MAP (Enduro) / Nylon?

A UL/Veneer GPO has been floating in my head as the ideal Winter touring ski.

As it is, I'm loving my Enduro/Nylon GPOs, but going to lighter bindings and UL/Veneer wouldn't cause any regrets for my lazy ass ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I have nylon top sheet carbon enduro light core. Super versatile, nice mixture of damp and pop. Going to add shifts and they will be a sidecountry/travel ski.

Thom - like I said, in an UL layup with veneer, they are damper than they should be for how poppy they are. I would not say they're almost as damp as map/nylon, but that's relative. If MAP and nylon is a nice feel for an inbounds ski, UL and veneer is a great compromise for soft snow.

the ul veneer gpo is my winter touring stick. I thought they'd be a bit narrow for a dedicated pow setup and my tastes, but the ul veneer in a 187 at -1 feels like it floats better than my map/nylon 192's at recommended. I think it's the mount point.

Great for soft snow and versatile enough for mixed conditions on entrances/exits, changing conditions. Enough meat to be fun in heavy sierra cement and mine came in right around 2000 grams

9D8 help

thrilled to have found this forum! I have been chatting with Keith and am strongly considering a pair of 9D8’s and looking for a little help...

I currently ski a pair of Liberty V82's. I love them but looking to add something wider to my quiver. I am 95% front side, trail skier and primarily east coast. I also have a 7 & 5 year old so I need a ski that I can control at slow speeds when I do a few runs a day with them after ski school. We are headed to Utah for 10 days this winter to do Park City, Deer Valley and Alta. So I am looking for something wider underfoot than my Liberty that still have good carving control and low speed capability. I will be keeping my Liberty's and adding these so they don't need to replace, but compliment. I would still like to be able to use them in East though. The 9D8 seems to fit the bill well but would love some input.

Other skis I have considered:
    ON3P Woodsman 96
    J Master Blaster
    Black Crow Camox
    Moment PB&J
    Nordica Enforcer 100

I’m a Wasatch skier and have 9D8’s. However, they are a low tide no new snow ski. Great on the groomed, bumps etc.

If you are here when there is new snow you will be seriously indergunned.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’m a Wasatch skier and have 9D8’s. However, they are a low tide no new snow ski. Great on the groomed, bumps etc.

If you are here when there is new snow you will be seriously indergunned.

Can you elaborate a bit more?

people on the west coast consider anything under 100 underfoot to be a "no new snow" ski. it might be what you consider fat coming from the east coast but it's barely all mountain around here. if you get a foot or more while in Utah it would be nice to have something over 110.