Page 85 of 121 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 3008
    Sooo sick. Sooo many beauties. Someone needs to get the skinny and report back for sure. Has to be a low tide slayer

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    that skinny GPO has been on my mind for some time as well...
    I posited the skinny GPO in this thread last year around the sale time. Lots of good discussion on pros/cons. I didn't go through with it, but it still intrigues me.

Hey all, just a heads up before posting in Gear Swap - I'm moving on my non-veneer Praxis Kusalas.

Curiosity got the cat on that one and I'm glad I was able to support Keith over covid, but it's not the ski for me.

Mounted on the line with Wardens for 309bsl. Skied a total of 4-5 hours so as new as used gets. Will get full post up later with pics but they are super clean.

PM if interested.

Did anyone get any time on the new "Slugger" this season?

Had day one on my new 175 cm Praxis Sluggers today at snowmass on the corning groomers

Great ski, really like it.

Went -1 cm with alpine bindings (tyrolia attack 13 gw) and probably could have gone -2 cm.

Really fun energetic ski

Heavy hitter core with carbon in standard build

a little easier skiing groomers on this 102 mm ski than my 182 GPO's at 116 mm, but the GPO's do rock the groomers pretty damn well.

Think my knees will thank me in the long run
    Great second day on the sluggers at Aspen Highlands.
    Surprised to find some preserved cold snow in the trees on skier's right of the bowl

Very encouraged by the responsiveness and the stiff flex (#4), relatively, for my experience.

Didn't think variable, conditions would ski so well with this narrower ski (102 mm) with less tip and tail rocker (than the GPO), but I was wrong.

Happy to be wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Did anyone get any time on the new "Slugger" this season?
    I'm on the 175 (they were out of 185, but to be honest 175 is ok for me)
    Aggressive in my own mind

What would be most like a skinny Q without going full custom for the skinny Q? I need something for the off piste ski area duty. I love my Qs for touring, Freerides for groomers and no snow days and PBs until I get protests. I need something for trees, shallow pow and all the other Colorado Bullshit(tm)

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What would be most like a skinny Q without going full custom for the skinny Q? I need something for the off piste ski area duty. I love my Qs for touring, Freerides for groomers and no snow days and PBs until I get protests. I need something for trees, shallow pow and all the other Colorado Bullshit(tm)
    Hard to argue with the price of full custom during the sale... I didn't add carbon or veneer to my pair and with the heavy hitter core they crush all inbounds terrain. If you like the shape with your regular Q I'd say go for the skinny!
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Hard to argue with the price of full custom during the sale... I didn't add carbon or veneer to my pair and with the heavy hitter core they crush all inbounds terrain. If you like the shape with your regular Q I'd say go for the skinny!
    Going -10 is a "Most Difficult" build, and I read Foggy's question as wanting to stay in the price range of an Easiest or More Difficult build.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The thing most like a skinny Q is going to be...a skinny Q. I own a skinny pair and a regular width pair. I love them both, but prefer the skinny.

I say take the plunge and get a skinny pair made. Of course, I got my skinny pair during the first year Keith offered custom widths, and when I look back at the invoice, I cannot believe what I paid for a one of a kind ski. They're still a screaming deal, but I gotta think he was breaking even at best that first year he offered so many options.

The new MVP has the “inside edge” taper lines of the Quixote and a very similar rocker profile. Less of a pin tail so maybe a stronger turn and finish?

If you like a looser ski the older MVP has the “outside edge” taper lines so should still feel familiar.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

I replaced 188 skinny Q with 187 MVPs and I prefer the MVPs in every way besides skiing on the flats. Skinny Q might have handled firm groomers better iirc. For whatever reason the skinny q tail felt like it wanted to keep coming around on me vs finishing the turn (as I had hoped). And I love loose skis. But people love the -Q and ymmv. I might have detuned them too much, IDK. But I’m perfectly content with MVPs, particularly considering how little they cost on here GS.

I’m sure it’s been asked before, but I’m wondering if folks have had success stiffening up the core of the Protest, or if it should be left at 3... I enjoyed the 187cm, but considering sizing up to 192 due to feeling a little under gunned.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I’m sure it’s been asked before, but I’m wondering if folks have had success stiffening up the core of the Protest, or if it should be left at 3... I enjoyed the 187cm, but considering sizing up to 192 due to feeling a little under gunned.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Superior, I bought some Protest a month ago in 187 as I was clueless about the good deal available now. Great news they are in my office and I am drooling over them. Your under gunned comment worries me as Keith thought the 187 would be best for my jongness at 5'10" 200 pounds. Are you a bigger guy than me and are you mounted 1.5 -2 cms behind the line? Maybe you charge and I am a Meadow Skipper.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm 5'10" 170 and have only skied stock 187 Protests with minimalist tech bindings mounted at -2. I like the length for touring, but would size up for resort skiing just because they are so easy to pivot and long powder skis are fun. I would not go stiffer unless you're real heavy or planning to mostly ski very fast on wide open faces. The Protests have tons of float, but because of the shape you don't get all that float until you're up to a minimum speed (which isn't very high). I think if they were stiffer that speed would be higher, you'd a have a lesser tool for skiing deep pow in trees. I'd add that I've skied my Protests in a range of funky conditions and never found the tips to fold or be too soft. They just skip over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'm 5'10" 170 and have only skied stock 187 Protests with minimalist tech bindings mounted at -2. I like the length for touring, but would size up for resort skiing just because they are so easy to pivot and long powder skis are fun. I would not go stiffer unless you're real heavy or planning to mostly ski very fast on wide open faces. The Protests have tons of float, but because of the shape you don't get all that float until you're up to a minimum speed (which isn't very high). I think if they were stiffer that speed would be higher, you'd a have a lesser tool for skiing deep pow in trees. I'd add that I've skied my Protests in a range of funky conditions and never found the tips to fold or be too soft. They just skip over everything.
    That's basically my take from skiing stock 192s as well, at 6', 165 lb. I'm seriously considering a 187 UL, maybe -1 width as a dedicated touring ski.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Superior, I bought some Protest a month ago in 187 as I was clueless about the good deal available now. Great news they are in my office and I am drooling over them. Your under gunned comment worries me as Keith thought the 187 would be best for my jongness at 5'10" 200 pounds. Are you a bigger guy than me and are you mounted 1.5 -2 cms behind the line? Maybe you charge and I am a Meadow Skipper.
    I'm 6'3, 205 and on a 4 flex 192. I like to go fast and am taller/heavier. I like em but I'm not nirvana about them like many on here are. Maybe that's because of the stiff flex, maybe its because I mounted on the line (moving back to -1.5 next season as many have recommend), or maybe its because I don't click with them. Throwing this out there as a data point

Brundo, from reading various threads, it sounds like a solid de-tuning before (tip) and after (tail) the contact points is important too if not yet done.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Brundo, from reading various threads, it sounds like a solid de-tuning before (tip) and after (tail) the contact points is important too if not yet done.
    Yep. They're pretty old so at this point they're "detuned" the whole length through. I don't mind it for a pow ski.

So after loving my 192 protest so much this season. I think I need to take advantage of this custom deal.

Im between

FRS 188
    GPO 187/192
    MVP 188

I'm 6'0 hopefully down to 205 lbs next year but will probably be 215.

Current quiver is

192 Protest
    190 Wildcat
    188 Commander 108
    186 Mindbender 108

Leaning toward the mvp as more of an everyday ski because I always look for an excuse to ski the protest with anything fresh. not worried about overlap just wanna add some more fun.

Thoughts?

As another data point on protest flex, I'm on 192 flex 4+, UL + veneer. I do not have regrets. I'm a big dude who does not enjoy noodling around unless there's no other options. I consciously chose to keep a stable shape when pushed hard versus extra float at low speeds. They're very rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    So after loving my 192 protest so much this season. I think I need to take advantage of this custom deal.

Im between

FRS 188
    GPO 187/192
    MVP 188

I'm 6'0 hopefully down to 205 lbs next year but will probably be 215.

Current quiver is

192 Protest
    190 Wildcat
    188 Commander 108
    186 Mindbender 108

Leaning toward the mvp as more of an everyday ski because I always look for an excuse to ski the protest with anything fresh. not worried about overlap just wanna add some more fun.

Thoughts?
    I'd pick a GPO over MVP for soft conditions, but I have no experience with the newest MVP models.

MVP'S are fucking sick. Go HH+C with veneer. You will not regret it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Another jong chiming in for advice during the spring sale.

Right now I'm leaning towards picking up a 192 or 196 protest, probably standard flex. I'll probably also email Keith to get his thoughts.

My info: 6'3", 240, skiing primarily in the sierras. I would say I tend to be less directional, I like making turns and I'm not a huge fan of high speeds unless it's a groomer day.

My quiver right now is a pair of 14/15 Line Sir Francis Bacons in 190cm (https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...is-bacon-190cm) & a pair of Moment Wildcat 108 tours 190cm w/ shifts for touring (probably should have bought pin bindings since these are pretty dedicated touring skis).

I'm also tempted to get the Protests in an UL layout, move the shifts to them and make them a 50/50 ski, but probably won't because the wildcats are mostly good enough for the rightside-up non-blower storms we get in California. But I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice weight/strength- squaw gets tracked out in 15 minutes.

The SFBs are my daily driver, and are pretty good in pow, but I figured it's time for another ski to make the most of the soft snow days.

Any thoughts/advice? I did demo some GPOs a few years ago and liked them, but I figured they would overlap too heavily with the SFBs and I'm better off going bigger/wider & more soft snow oriented.

So, I dreamt that @grinch and I got a personal tour of Praxis' world-wide HQ. It was in black and white (the dream, not the HQ).

It must be time to pull the trigger on those +10 GPOs ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    So, I dreamt that @grinch and I got a personal tour of Praxis' world-wide HQ. It was in black and white (the dream, not the HQ).

It must be time to pull the trigger on those +10 GPOs ;-)

... Thom
    Oh ya! With a chance to demo errything!!
    Thatll be a sick ski, safe bet too. And my bsl

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app