Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Had a hot day on Protest 192 #4 smashing mashed potatoes. I’m a registered BG fan boy but today (A/B skiing) ProTest won the off piste battle. 7” heavy with wind affected in most areas. Midday once packed down BGs got the nod tho.
    Attachment 265183
    1 - those are beautiful skis
    2- sorry I missed you. I was billygoating for a half day.

3- want to go ahead and write a little comparisom the 192 protest to the C&D since you’ve skied both in good conditions?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Any thoughts on the BC vs Yeti? Looking for a spring ski for Tahoe/East Side missions. My daily driver is a Wailer 112 so was leaning toward the Yeti. Also, anyone holding any that they’re willing to part with?
    Is the wailer daily driver inbounds or only touring? If you for in a wailer already, get a yeti. If you are buying your only touring ski, get a bc

If you’re skiing the wailer inbounds, I’d recommend trying a gpo. Surfy and loose like a wailer due to the taper but you won’t get your ass handed to you if you like to ski fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    1 - those are beautiful skis
    2- sorry I missed you. I was billygoating for a half day.

3- want to go ahead and write a little comparisom the 192 protest to the C&D since you’ve skied both in good conditions?
    1) Thanks, you’re welcome to ski em anytime
    2) Should’ve tried you but didn’t think you got many wk days
    3) Soon- need more time on C&D. Plus I really like to A/B back and forth, same day, on same ski runs - to be be accurate.
    I like them both, that I can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    thing about the Rx, after a few laps there’s no more thinking about the ski or various conditions underneath, ya just ski.
    Unfortunately that sounds like no one else here. ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Is the wailer daily driver inbounds or only touring? If you for in a wailer already, get a yeti. If you are buying your only touring ski, get a bc

If you’re skiing the wailer inbounds, I’d recommend trying a gpo. Surfy and loose like a wailer due to the taper but you won’t get your ass handed to you if you like to ski fast.
    Wailer is my daily tour set up so was looking for something a litle more directional and stable in the crud. Seems like the Yeti could fit the bill.

Wailer is my daily tour set up so was looking for something a litle more directional and stable in the crud. Seems like the Yeti could fit the bill.
    Define crud?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Define crud?
    Variable/chunked up heavy snow

might be ok. I wouldn't say it absolutely shines in these conditions. If the snow is good or bad but consistent, the ski is very fun. I find myself really wishing for the protests when it gets variable although skinning through tree bombed mank on ptotests is pretty average.

I can confirm again that praxis protest is a sweet ski. Great work guys
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Haven't been on them yet, but the Yetis are ready.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nice set up. Yeti is one ski I miss

Any thoughts on the BC vs Yeti? Looking for a spring ski for Tahoe/East Side missions. My daily driver is a Wailer 112 so was leaning toward the Yeti. Also, anyone holding any that they’re willing to part with?
    What time of year are you trying to optimize for, and how far do you live from the Eastside?

If you live not very close to the Eastside then I’d suggest Yeti with layup appropriate to the conditions you most plan to ski ... I’ve never skied the UL core but I’m sure it’s fine in hero corn, while I would suggest Enduro for more windboard, unripe chicken heads, and other garbage snow. My reasoning is if you don’t live very close most of your Eastside trips are likely to correspond to higher pressure weather than deep days down there ... BC is very versatile but on unripe windboard on a 45 degree slope I’d rather be on something skinnier with a flatter tail. And a skinnier lighter ski will be more efficient for those days getting really deep on the Eastside.

Yeti and Wootest is probably the ultimate 2 ski touring combo for Tahoe and Eastside. One of my best friends thinks the Yeti skis fresh pow up to 30cm deep great ... he switches to the Wootest only if he knows he’s gonna find deeper pockets than that.

BC is a great 1 ski combo - I’ve skied it on 100cm and deeper days, but I’ve also had some sketchy experiences on steep windboard. Which you find a ton of in the Carson range and Eastside. I’d also 100% recommend veneer for a California touring ski ... it settles the unripe snow so quickly and gives better edging as a result.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

X2^^^ bang on with all that. Enduro/ veneer is still fairly light and skis really well

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    X2^^^ bang on with all that. Enduro/ veneer is still fairly light and skis really well
    Just to clarify... yeti / wootest best 2 ski touring combo?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Unfortunately that sounds like no one else here. ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That’s funny shit right there
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    I haven’t been on a wootest but I’m all about the protest and anything protest so I’m aiming to get a wootest as well as get back on a yeti for what I’d say is probably the best 2 ski touring quiver. I was surprised how often I used my yeti. It does handle pow quite well. Really like my exp(probably a nicer volcanic ski), it carved up corn or a groomer much better, but when the snow gets over boot deep it’s not the best and I’m still comfy on the yeti at knee deep. At knee deep I’d be on the wootest most likely though. Big plus with the protest design was its ability in funky/variable conditions. I could still have great turns in wind pressed snow. I’d expect the wootest to have those traits albeit narrower but 113 waist is still good in a skin track. I’m ok with ul cores and carbon for strictly touring but I’d be so tempted to tour them off the ski hill that I’d stay with the versatility of just enduro/veneer(plenty light but still nicely damp) but that’s personal preference

I know there was a some chatter a while back about people wanting some first hand reviews on the RX-10mm. I was one of the dudes that jumped on that pretty early in the custom sale this year. I realized over the last couple years that I really missed that 105 underfoot do everything ski for Western Canada. I loved the days of just grabbing the old Gotama 90% of the time and knowing it would be great. This ski turned out to be a combination of a lot of my favourite skis of the past, which is amazing. No crazy new tech, just a ski that takes so many classics and combined them.

So RX-10 build is the 188, basically a 9ish out of 10 flex, Bubinga top enduro core. Mounted -1cm from dimple with Pivots. Feels shockingly light for stability and felt super energetic still.

All in all, after a few days, really loved this ski. Even at -1cm, felt pretty far forward (just visually), but this is compared to older, more rear mounted sticks like the XXL and Gotama. It did everything really well, which is exactly I want out of this ski.

Hard Pack - Didn't lock in quite as much as I thought it would originally, but once you skied it a bit more centered (compared to the front boot needed on some of the guys mentioned above), really locked in super well. Still not as grab on and hold the fuck on as my much loved XXL, but way better than a lot of the new super short camber contact skis. This is likely just the user needing to get out of the last decade.
    Fresh - Only got about 10-20cm to test out, but definitely as predicted, or better in here. Makes me realize how much I love skiing this little narrower in some fresh snow. I would not call it a floater, but reminded me a bit of the little porpoising style of my old EHP weirdly...just barely below the surface. This was awesome, and something I have missed.
    Trees - I loved them here. This is where that long turn radius combined with the pintail was effin amazing. Go fast as you want and then shut it down by throwing sideways. To be honest, this took the most to get used too. 30m turn radius skis I normally don't think of quick and able to break free. I over shot this a few times in the first couple runs and was basically moving well past my turn intention. Once again, when I found that little bit more entered stance, it was so predictable, and so fast.

I am not sure what else to say, but I can add as I see fit or any questions you might have. My biggest speculation on this build were the pintail more than anything and how it would ski. I personally wouldn't trade that pintail vs a stiffer flat one (that I originally wanted) any day on this ski now. It made anything less than a perfect corduroy groomer so much more fun and opened up different line options a lot. And this is coming from a guy that loves flat tails with a lot of power in them. I think if you are skiing the resort out west, this is as close to a one ski quiver as I have seen in a long time. I was a long time advocate of the 115mm underfoot to fill this bill, but the older I get, this 105ish section keeps coming back to the radar for me. Yeah, if 15+cm was out there, I'd still grab GPO, and the deep days still need Protesting, but the reality the last few years is a lot more 5cm days than 15's, and this RX is so dialled for that.
    Last edited by Danny Noonan; 01-22-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Sick man. I’ve been waiting for one of these reviews to pop.

Ya good review. It helps that you compared it to your past skis and past skiing style. Kicking myself again for cancelling my order

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Well, I think it depends where you live and what you expect out of the WooTest. A lot of people will tell you it’s not a pure pow ski - so don’t expect it to be a Protest. The Woo’s reported* ability to handle wind funk and mank and other weird snow make it a really fun and practical ski for warm coastal snow like Tahoe where you start out with serious wind effect up top, get into upper-mid elevation hero pow, then deal with funky bullshit on top of vegetation for the lower part of your lap.

EXP/MVP might also be a great 2 ski touring quiver if you do a lot of deep / multi-day touring corn skiing far from trailheads and also don’t have a need to be 100% completely on top of your fresh winter snow ... or if you are like me and also have split boards for the stupid deep days

*I haven’t gotten my feet on the Woo’s yet because my buddies who own them are way bigger then me with much larger BSL.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I wonder if that skiiny RX is the confidence inspiring ski anywhere/anytime outfit that everyone should own. You know...the anti-quiver. I love my Freerides but they ain't exactly easy in shit conditions.

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Skis a little like a slightly narrower more versatile EHP? Giggitron. Thanks for the review, that build does things to excite me

Did anyone order a -10cm Freeride? That's still a ski I'm considering for springtime use.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Did anyone order a -10cm Freeride? That's still a ski I'm considering for springtime use.
    The Exp should be in that consideration, which I have in the heavy core with carbon. Still weighs under 7 lb, long effective edge for hard snow, stiff and damp for chattery conditions, and very quick edge to edge. Anything works well in heavenly spring corn; I wanted something that also works well when my eagerness overcomes patience and I'm on top of re-frozen slush 3 hours too early.

Yup, I am dumb. Edited

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i’m assuming you *wouldn’t* trade the pintail for a flat,
    neither would i. that’s a great review by the way.