Page 47 of 121 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I wish he would add a +/- 5mm option versus just +/- 10mm. Piste Jib at a 104mm could be a sweet option.

Plus, if you just want to add veneer to a Protest, $650 is a pretty sweet deal.
    No question, it's still the best deal in town for a build quality like this. I'll bet you could talk him into a +5/-5 build - maybe at worst, if you paid the rocker premium on the "most difficult" build.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

This thread is too long to fully search, but has anyone pulled the trigger on a skinny GPO to use as a DD ski? Shape looks like it could be interesting scaled down a bit.

This thread is too long to fully search, but has anyone pulled the trigger on a skinny GPO to use as a DD ski? Shape looks like it could be interesting scaled down a bit.
    I asked about this last year, and the general consensus was to customize a BC instead (stiffness, layup, etc.) - that the BC is essentially a narrow GPO, with appropriate changes, and of course, in a touring layup.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I wish he would add a +/- 5mm option versus just +/- 10mm. Piste Jib at a 104mm could be a sweet option.

Plus, if you just want to add veneer to a Protest, $650 is a pretty sweet deal.
    I bought the 99 with the heavy carbon build as an East Coast do it all ski. I took it to Utah in February for a family trip with the thought of renting something larger if needed.
    I wound up really falling in love. Knee deep light powder blown into steep trees they float and turn on a dime so easy. In open areas that were wind scoured steep and moguls excellent grip and stable for a ski of that width and skiing the crud at the end of the day the heavy build really tracked much better than expected.
    Thanks Keith

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Well, the custom sale pricing makes it a lot easier to pass up this Spring, but primarily due to economic uncertainty. This is fair pricing on phenomenal builds with more choices as well, but just too rich for my blood at the moment. Compare this against a BD Helio 115 which would set you back an additional $50 over my dream GPOs.

My dream GPOs (UL/Carbon/Veneer/flex #3) would set me back $799. I don't see a UL option without carbon, but I'm guessing that's possible.

https://www.praxisskis.com/custom-order-skis/

The mod levels are a bit confusing and cause a lot of extra clicking, but the "most difficult" adds multiple rocker choices which is cool to see back.

• Easiest: Allows Flex change (plus or minus one number), add veneer for $150, and choose your graphics
    • More Difficult: Expands core choices, and allows for all 5 flexes
    • Most Difficult: add multiple rocker/mold choices (CCR, full camber, etc.) for $150, and +10/-10 width change. For this level, you're adding $100 to "more difficult" pricing and you a get "free" width change (use it or lose it). So, if you want CCR in any width (including standard), you pay $250 over the "more difficult" pricing.

... Thom
    Could not agree more... I don’t want to make any mods to my dream GPOs other than adding veneer and enduro core... If I go with easiest option enduro is not available and have to pay an extra $150 to get it... I totally get $150 for the veneer but adding enduro my costs go to $750 for my build... I love his skis and my GPOs are my all time favorite ski but not going to pay $750... I have never paid more than $600 for his skis and paid $549 for a brand new pair of 192 Blizzard Rustler 11s and $529 for 192 ON3P Woodsman 108s. Unfortunately I will be passing on this custom sale...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Protest FTW. Keith makes sick skis. Tabke is a machine. Support indie

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Could not agree more... I don’t want to make any mods to my dream GPOs other than adding veneer and enduro core... If I go with easiest option enduro is not available and have to pay an extra $150 to get it... I totally get $150 for the veneer but adding enduro my costs go to $750 for my build... I love his skis and my GPOs are my all time favorite ski but not going to pay $750... I have never paid more than $600 for his skis and paid $549 for a brand new pair of 192 Blizzard Rustler 11s and $529 for 192 ON3P Woodsman 108s. Unfortunately I will be passing on this custom sale...

First off, you're a cheap son of a bitch. Have you ever priced any other semi-custom skis? Do you know what a pair of Iggy's will run you in 2020? Keith's skis are worth twice as much as those Blizzards, and I know this will piss some people off, but his skis are of unquestionably higher quality than ON3P's.

I think ON3P's are some of the most overpriced skis on the market today when you look at performance/$. Their shit never goes on any kind of meaningful discount, has flex patterns that are as refined as a 2x6, is so lifeless is defies the law of conversation of energy, and they use those idiotic green bases that might be durable, but are also slow-as-fuck and make properly brushing out a tune a pain in the ass.

Second, what core do you think the basic build GPO comes with, a recycled foam core from a late 90's Salomon? No, it comes with the enduro core. Add some veneer and you have your skis for $649.

Happy motherfuckin' Friday, I just bought a pair of skis from Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    the law of conversation of energy
    At least you got one thing right in this rant. Energetic hyperbolic internetting is your strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    At least you got one thing right in this rant. Energetic hyperbolic internetting is your strength.
    Must've run out of toilet wax rings to permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

I know what I can do, I do it well, and I do it all the time.

And yeah, as a building inspector who's working from home because construction is (rightly) considered non-essential, I have some time on my hands these days.

First off, you're a cheap son of a bitch. Have you ever priced any other semi-custom skis? Do you know what a pair of Iggy's will run you in 2020? Keith's skis are worth twice as much as those Blizzards, and I know this will piss some people off, but his skis are of unquestionably higher quality than ON3P's.

I think ON3P's are some of the most overpriced skis on the market today when you look at performance/$. Their shit never goes on any kind of meaningful discount, has flex patterns that are as refined as a 2x6, is so lifeless is defies the law of conversation of energy, and they use those idiotic green bases that might be durable, but are also slow-as-fuck and make properly brushing out a tune a pain in the ass.

Second, what core do you think the basic build GPO comes with, a recycled foam core from a late 90's Salomon? No, it comes with the enduro core. Add some veneer and you have your skis for $649.

gotta agree that those prices for custom skis are crazy good. never skied on3p but plenty of skis retail at or over $800... < $800 for this level of quality and customization is pretty rad

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

Glade I appreciate the education and valuable input... As someone who currently owns MVP, BC, custom Qs, custom GPOs and SND I think I understand the quality and am a huge supporter of Praxis... But again I truly appreciate the education... And apparently you need to help me with math as what I want comes to $750...

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Protest FTW. Keith makes sick skis. Tabke is a machine. Support indie

^^^This.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

And yeah, as a building inspector who's working from home because construction is (rightly) considered non-essential, I have some time on my hands these days.
    I feel you, man. I'm outta work myself.

Sorry, I probably could have dialed that rant down a couple notches, realistically. But now that it's been quoted a few times, there's no point in tweaking it now.

Now that my dickish streak is immortalized, ya'll should look into buying some skis from Keith if you're in the market. If it's your first Praxis rodeo, don't go crazy with customizing unless you know quite a bit about ski design, but here's some basic advice.

For a pure inbounds ski, the Heavy Hitter core is strongly recommended. The Enduro will be fine, but will be more energetic and you'll get more snow feedback/feel through the ski. I would avoid Enduro/Carbon for inbounds use unless it is a dedicated pow ski.

However, Enduro/Carbon/Veneer results in a build that is light enough to tour with, and will ski significantly better than the UL core is sub-optimal snow. Don't be afraid to drop down a flex # or half a flex # if you are building a touring ski.

Being a building inspector explains your constant grumpiness. I'm glad you don't have to be out on sites right now. Stay safe when you finally get back out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Being a building inspector explains your constant grumpiness. I'm glad you don't have to be out on sites right now. Stay safe when you finally get back out there.

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I'm glad I don't have to be either. But yeah, it is a job that has a way of turning someone into a curmudgeon. You approach every situation looking for the things that are wrong with it, and expecting to be bullshitted. The only people who get lied to more than building inspectors are members of the White House Press Corps.

I asked about this last year, and the general consensus was to customize a BC instead (stiffness, layup, etc.) - that the BC is essentially a narrow GPO, with appropriate changes, and of course, in a touring layup.

... Thom
    See, that's the problem. I'm not looking for a light ski for the BC. I'm after an inbounds, lift served daily ski. I would have to alter the core to get that with the BC. Plus the taper profile is different between BC and GPO. Didn't the BC exist before the GPO? Interesting that in the easy build, BC are $100 more expensive than GPO but they equalize in more and most difficult builds.

See, that's the problem. I'm not looking for a light ski for the BC. I'm after an inbounds, lift served daily ski. I would have to alter the core to get that with the BC. Plus the taper profile is different between BC and GPO. Didn't the BC exist before the GPO? Interesting that in the easy build, BC are $100 more expensive than GPO but they equalize in more and most difficult builds.
    IMO I don't think BC and GPO are in the same discussion. I've had both, BC never did it for me. Lots of people like it, great ski I'm sure but the GPO is waay better. Very different shapes as well (like you mentioned).

There are a few skinny GPO builds out there. Wish I could remember off the top of my head who has them so I could direct you.

Changing ski width on established designs seems to be a bit of a gamble and rather polarizing. People either love it or hate it.

If you are skiing inbounds and weight isn't a concern, the standard width GPO carves and skis (soft) groomed snow extremely well for its waist width...
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Taper, camber and the tail has a few mil offset more from the tip on the gpo. I keep thinking skinny heavy hitter veneer gpo for an inbounds low tide directional do it all. If the standard gpo carves hard pack as well as it does, i can only imagine how good a heavy skinny would be

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Well, the custom sale pricing makes it a lot easier to pass up this Spring, but primarily due to economic uncertainty. This is fair pricing on phenomenal builds with more choices as well, but just too rich for my blood at the moment. Compare this against a BD Helio 115 which would set you back an additional $50 over my dream GPOs.

My dream GPOs (UL/Carbon/Veneer/flex #3) would set me back $799. I don't see a UL option without carbon, but I'm guessing that's possible.

https://www.praxisskis.com/custom-order-skis/

The mod levels are a bit confusing and cause a lot of extra clicking, but the "most difficult" adds multiple rocker choices which is cool to see back.

• Easiest: Allows Flex change (plus or minus one number), add veneer for $150, and choose your graphics
    • More Difficult: Expands core choices, and allows for all 5 flexes
    • Most Difficult: add multiple rocker/mold choices (CCR, full camber, etc.) for $150, and +10/-10 width change. For this level, you're adding $100 to "more difficult" pricing and you a get "free" width change (use it or lose it). So, if you want CCR in any width (including standard), you pay $250 over the "more difficult" pricing.

... Thom
    not to nitpick but length customization is really the missing piece here

The camber contact length of the GPO would be pretty short for a 106 underfoot daily driver type ski, IMO.

Although I guess that depends on which spec sheet you look at it. It appears the rocker has changed.

Maybe for you. The standard gpo is my dd. A skinny gpo would rip

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Think this was for touring but a review nonetheless https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...xis-Skinny-GPO

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm looking to buy another MVP, but shorter this time. My current MVP is 193 enduro nylon at 3+ flex, I basically want a Praxis built, skinny Bibby Pro.

187 veneer, carbon. The questions are... 3 or 4 flex, and enduro or heavy hitter?