Page 21 of 121 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    I have the 9D8s and am a big fan. Very maneuverable and predictable skis. I also have wider skis, which, given our last 5 winters and parenthood sprinkled on top, have gotten less use.

9D8s are a great ski, though AM-ish for the Rockies.
    I'm a huge fan of the Freeride for a slightly floatier yet still carvey ski.

Quote Originally Posted by ma_rippin View Post
    thrilled to have found this forum! I have been chatting with Keith and am strongly considering a pair of 9D8’s and looking for a little help...

I currently ski a pair of Liberty V82's. I love them but looking to add something wider to my quiver. I am 95% front side, trail skier and primarily east coast. I also have a 7 & 5 year old so I need a ski that I can control at slow speeds when I do a few runs a day with them after ski school. We are headed to Utah for 10 days this winter to do Park City, Deer Valley and Alta. So I am looking for something wider underfoot than my Liberty that still have good carving control and low speed capability. I will be keeping my Liberty's and adding these so they don't need to replace, but compliment. I would still like to be able to use them in East though. The 9D8 seems to fit the bill well but would love some input.

Other skis I have considered:
    ON3P Woodsman 96
    J Master Blaster
    Black Crow Camox
    Moment PB&J
    Nordica Enforcer 100
    What everyone is trying to say is out west, most people’s every day ski is 98-110 underfoot, our version of your Liberty V82s. I personally have a pair of GS skis (65ish under foot) and a pair of Brahmas, but they get used 1 and 8 days a year.

Will the 9D8 and the other skis you listed work for what you appear to be looking for, yeah, but most people on here would recommend something closer to 105-110 under foot as a second ski to compliment a 82mm ski. Something like the Cochise, Enforcer 110, BC Corvus, Backland 107 (or is it 108 now), Praxis Freeride, something like that.

Personally I go from 98 under foot (Kastle MX 98) to 116-118 under foot (Praxis Super Freerides (+10mm wide) or Quixote’s, or Shiros). If I moved back east, I’d take Brahmas or MX 98s, and the Quixote’s or Shiros as a 2 ski quiver, and just bring those out west for trips.

If none of this is helpful, keep up the conversation with Keith, he has been awesome to me. If that’s not helping, maybe check out BlisterGearReview.com and start digging into the reviews. I think they have a membership where you can talk to the reviewers about specific skis and quiver slots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Elaborate

Let’s see. At speed jumping into the chop they will dive.

In the untracked you’ll need a reasonably heel heavy stance plus a turny style to keep from sinking big time.

I would pick up the MVP’s on the real page as a complimentary ski to your ‘80s under foot skis.

Or demo.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

MVP is an awesome EC ski that would serve you well out west. Replacement pair less than 24hrs from my doorstep. Old part still in great shape, just wanted another pair and to support Keith and the Praxis team.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

2018-19 Praxis Skis Info and Resource Thread

My 193 MVPs are really fun in pow until/unless it gets really deep. I was surprised at how surfy/frictionless they feel in soft stuff considering their all mountain versatility.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 07-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.

I received my The Ski 185s ... they look sick. Traditional camber, nice tip rocker, mellow tail, stout flex (#4, heavy hitter core) and little taper which I like.
    I'd think these are going to be a killer for anything/everything save for worst condition or best conditions.

If this is a variation on the RX, I kinda want to ski the RX now.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I received my The Ski 185s ... they look sick. Traditional camber, nice tip rocker, mellow tail, stout flex (#4, heavy hitter core) and little taper which I like.
    I'd think these are going to be a killer for anything/everything save for worst condition or best conditions.

If this is a variation on the RX, I kinda want to ski the RX now.

cheers.
    This post is useless without piktures!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190727_123404.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	601.4 KB 
ID:	289777

damn tgr auto rotate
    I had this graphic on GPO that I sold to tone ... always loved the look so I choose it again.

Nice. Interesting shape.

If you're thinking that's a lot of sidecut, I get it.

If you're thinking that's a lot of sidecut, I get it.
    I get it too! I haven't been on a 20-21m ski in a while. Carving tight turns in tight places on the EXPs I got from @grinch was ... a lot of fun!

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Fyi, Keith is running a flash sale on custom BC model through today for those that aren't aware.

I’m waiting for Quixote’s to go on sale

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

I picked up a pair of those last year

(not custom though)

Didn't you just sell a pair on gear swap?

Stock pair for 700 on the website right now...

That BC is a sweet deal, always wanted a pair of those, that’s a great heads up! Can’t believe he’s doing a different model every Mon-Tues!!
    “I don’t need more skis, I don’t need more skis, I don’t need more skis!”
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I picked up a pair of those last year

(not custom though)

Didn't you just sell a pair on gear swap?
    I did sell my stock pair. I want a non-camber pair of Qs. I think that will be the replacement for Shiros I’ve been looking for.

I have nothing bad to say about the stock Qs, I really liked them, as I’ve stated a few times in different places, I just think a small tweak will make them even better for what I want.

I did sell my stock pair. I want a non-camber pair of Qs. I think that will be the replacement for Shiros I’ve been looking for.

I have nothing bad to say about the stock Qs, I really liked them, as I’ve stated a few times in different places, I just think a small tweak will make them even better for what I want.

Ah, really like the stock build so wondered.

Ordered a pair of custom BCs late last night after much debate whether to finally go A/T for touring.

Still going to tele the resorts for now but I was very enamored by my ex's BCs with Salomon MTN binding setup last hear as I was pushing big hunks of metal bindings around, and now I have a knee issue that popped up.

would somebody with a pair of RX post up or point me towards a profile/camber picture?
    just curious to compare to the Ski profile.

would somebody with a pair of RX post up or point me towards a profile/camber picture?
    just curious to compare to the Ski profile.
    2019 stock flex, veneer, 189cm, skied maybe 5 days, so still pretty much in its original form

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    2019 stock flex, veneer, 189cm, skied maybe 5 days, so still pretty much in its original form

Is it the POV or is the camber really far back on the RX?

Is it the POV or is the camber really far back on the RX?

It's far back on these. I strapped them together at the dot and they weren't fully decambered (below the dot)

Here's a shot of 5 flex heavy hitter nylon with maybe 40 days on them

This and the above were shot pretty straight on, camera aimed at waist. These don't fully decamber below the dot either, but it's closer. I assumed they'd lost a little of their spring.

Sucker that I am for a ski I love (when only one pair of them is not enough), I picked up a second pair of GPOs off Gear Swap - this pair being 187 / MAP / Flex 4 / Veneer.

Since I have 2-3 months before skiing on them I figure I'll give them a bit of TLC and clear coat the scuffed/exposed top edges.

I'm hoping to get away with using an oil based polyurethane spar varnish. My wife has a lot of chemical sensitivities especially to epoxy resins, so I tend to avoid them where possible.

I'm leaning toward something like this Minwax stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y4BRDG...i-a=B000Y4BRDG.

In the ON3P thread, Iggy recommended both System 3 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR2KNP2...v_ov_lig_dp_it) and I believe it was also his recommendation of Entropy Resins (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H5W3WXM...v_ov_lig_dp_it).

I assume the above two epoxy resins as well as the polyurethane will stick to the ski, especially if I scuff it up with 320. I hate buying chemicals that I'll never use. One thing I can't find is whether these spar varnishes are as flexible as the epoxies, which obviously counts for a ski.

What say yee?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thom - now I’ve fucked up my share of skis working on them myself. But come on man. Have you considered just drinking the polyurethane til you’ve found the courage to make small decisions about skis?