Page 52 of 121 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Haha, no. I don't think you can go wrong with either ski. If you're serious about ordering a pair, don't hesitate to contact Keith directly for his advice.

I'm partial to the Quixote, which has been described as a blend of the RX and GPO in terms of its attributes, which is what I was insinuating. But I'm biased.
    That's an interesting comment. Everyone knows that the Q was close but no cigar for me. Last year I was musing about a symmetrical Q - same edge on both sides (the long edge).

At the time, someone said I was after a Moment Wildcat.

So, is the "correct" answer that a symmetrical version of the Q is an Rx?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-10-2020 at 05:16 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    That's an interesting comment. Everyone knows that the Q was close but no cigar for me. Last year I was musing about a symmetrical Q - same edge on both sides (the long edge).

At the time, someone said I was after a Moment Wildcat.

So, is the "correct" answer that a symmetrical version of the Q is an Rx?

... Thom
    I'm not really sure, because the asym is what defines the Q and is a huge part of what makes it such a special ski, so the idea of a symmetrical Q is an oxymoron to me.

Anyone know what the stock flex is on a Quixote? 3? 4? I looked around the praxis website but couldn’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Anyone know what the stock flex is on a Quixote? 3? 4? I looked around the praxis website but couldn’t find it.

Pretty certain stock is 4.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Pretty certain stock is 4.
    Makes sense. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm not really sure, because the asym is what defines the Q and is a huge part of what makes it such a special ski, so the idea of a symmetrical Q is an oxymoron to me.
    An oxymoron indeed, but since asym. skis don't work for me on 2D snow, I was curious.

The Q did a lot of things right, but was unsettling in whiteout conditions (dust over crust). Having crap balance when skiing by braile, I'd occasionally lose the sweet spot, and would be waiting for a Tabke moment. My Down CD114s and my GPOs never never caused me to lose confidence like this.

I can visualize a "sym-Q" as being a being a sweet build version of my Down CD 114s (the ski that made it easy for me to sell my Qs). [edit]Or ... as I was musing in the Q thread ... a Fat-Q (+10) could have it's moments. I loved the Q in deep snow.[/edit]

Or ... is it the Rx I've been after all these years?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-12-2020 at 03:42 AM.
    Galibier Design

For no reason at all besides for conversations sake, what Praxis ski compares best with a Kartel 116 type ski? Thinking jibby fat ski

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FRS

Done did it

194 FRD, 4+ flex, heavy+veneer

Fooking stoked for these

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Done did it

Fooking stoked for these
    What graphic did you go for?

Done did it

Fooking stoked for these
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Stoked for you! I had big plans for a H+C/V 193 mvp this year but recent events have forced prioritization despite my attempts at rationalizing

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Stoked for you! I had big plans for a H+C/V 193 mvp this year but recent events have forced prioritization despite my attempts at rationalizing
    Effort the shit out of that rationalizing and get back on track. 187 MVP heavy carbon veneer heading my way.

I'm planning to sell my 13/14 193 MVP, enduro 3+ flex cherry graphic (nylon) after my new skis arrive if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Effort the shit out of that rationalizing and get back on track. 187 MVP heavy carbon veneer heading my way.

I'm planning to sell my 13/14 193 MVP, enduro 3+ flex cherry graphic (nylon) after my new skis arrive if you're interested.
    We shall see, much can happen between now and then. Might even have a job again!

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    What graphic did you go for?
    Blobs. Curious to see how it turns out.

The deciding factor was looking back through this thread and saw mallwalker's wootests on page 38 with maple veneer+cube top and they look absolutely fantastic.

The deciding factor was looking back through this thread and saw mallwalker's wootests on page 38 with maple veneer+cube top and they look absolutely fantastic.
    I was torn between Cubes and Blobs, I bet the Blobs are gonna look sick

185 9D8 with Heavy Hitter 4-flex arriving in late summer. Went with Abstract graphics. What a great guy Keith is to work with!

Currently somewhat debating whether I want to go Heavy/Carbon/nylon or enduro/veneer for FRS skis. I love veneer, but kinda want the heavy core. Ideally I’d have both, but extra $150 has me shying away

Anyone have time on heavy/nylon or heavy/Carbon/nylon layup? And can compare to heavy/Carbon/veneer, or enduro/veneer?

I have a heavy core/carbon/nylon build in my SKIs. No experience with any other heavy core combo.
    Personally I love it. I'm not hyper sensitive to builds like some of you are. It's plenty damp, the weight lends to stability, and still responsive, which might be more do to the SKI having a good amount of camber. I opted against veneer last year to save money, but wish I'd have splurged.

I also currently own enduro/veneer (protests) and MAP/carbon/veneer (GPO). Protests #4 are rockets and incredibly stable, if from nothing more than the mass. GPO could be my favorite ski, but have been bounced a bit in bad/crud/shit conditions. In anything moderately soft they rule.

I'd love to build a pair of heavy/carbon/veneer GPO or Qs.

If anyone wants a mid-fat, more traditional ski with camber, nice low rise tip they should look at that SKI. It feels bigger in soft snow, smaller in firm conditions.

I've got Heavy/Nylon Q's and they are steam rollers in sierra cement, great for tracked resort days. They are heavy, and with the fall line tenancies of the Q I have to be on it (show no weakness!) to have a good day. I loved my 110 uf MVP except the light weight and resulting deflection when the snow started setting up firm, those skis had a nice loose feel in 3D snow that could be strong on edge when needed. I suspect a +10 MVP (now known as FRS) would be equally loose, float better, and gain *some weight, the question is how much? I'd be afraid the heavy core might be too much, but then adding carbon and veneer might offset?If I were to do the Q's again (or a FRS) I'd probably look to the enduro core and opt for veneer for added damping, I suspect the weights would become more managable while the ride quality would become more lively.

Does anyone recall ever reading about someone getting veneer and regretting it?

I don't mean expressing a natural curiousity about how much it contributed to the build.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-14-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    Galibier Design

I recall some complaints about the bamboo veneer when it was offered, because it chipped/gouged easily, even when beveled, but other than that, no I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Currently somewhat debating whether I want to go Heavy/Carbon/nylon or enduro/veneer for FRS skis. I love veneer, but kinda want the heavy core. Ideally I’d have both, but extra $150 has me shying away

Anyone have time on heavy/nylon or heavy/Carbon/nylon layup? And can compare to heavy/Carbon/veneer, or enduro/veneer?
    Thanks for asking this. I’m in the same boat for the same skis.

Great choice. Blobs is also on my radar, along with Maze Green and Quartz. I've abandoned the idea of Alpenglow, as it looks like with veneer, one of the brightly coloured graphics is the way forward. Too much choice!

FYI my experience is with the coloring on veneers is really positive. Blues and reds come out really well and blacks are really rich. The purple on these skis are also very deep. The seafoam type green really plays with the birdseye maple beautifully as well. Keith makes some amazing skis.

Also, any of you been on the EXPs? I'm 6'2" 225 and I cant seem to find a mid 80s touring ski that is above 180 cm except EXPs. How did everyone find the flex? I would assume a 3 would be perfect for those skis.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk